• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Greatest Athlete from State of Nebraska

I'd say Jim Thorpe if he was born here.

I like Bob Gibson but maybe Tom Osborne is better because he was an athlete who gave us the best results of anyone else mentioned.

Maybe not at the top of the list, but worth mentioning is Bob Cerv. He earned 8 letters in Basketball and Football with the Huskers. Bob was the first Husker baseball player to be named All-American. He later hit 38 home runs one season with the old Kansas City Athletics. He finished his career with the Yankees where he roomed with Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris.

Probably not even top 20

As a pure athlete he is top 10. Guy was 5’7” and I watched him dunk in warm ups. Scored about 15 a game in bball.

Skipped track his senior year and went out for soccer and had never really played and either led the state or was second in scoring that year.

If Danny Woodhead is playing at LSE or Millard North in HS instead of North Platt he is a superstar.

With that said the greatest is still Bob Gibson.

As a pure athlete he is top 10. Guy was 5’7” and I watched him dunk in warm ups. Scored about 15 a game in bball.

Skipped track his senior year and went out for soccer and had never really played and either led the state or was second in scoring that year.

If Danny Woodhead is playing at LSE or Millard North in HS instead of North Platt he is a superstar.

With that said the greatest is still Bob Gibson.
Bob Gibson
Gale Sayers
Johnny Rodgers
Ed Weir
Bob Boozer
Dave Rimington
Mick Tinglehoff
Pat Fischer
Dean Steinkuhler
Marlin Briscoe
Larry Station
Erick Strickland

He's not top 10.

Danny Woodhead should’ve been a Husker but he was just a decent average NFL player.

Bob Gibson
Gale Sayers
Johnny Rodgers
Ed Weir
Bob Boozer
Dave Rimington
Mick Tinglehoff
Pat Fischer
Dean Steinkuhler
Marlin Briscoe
Larry Station
Erick Strickland

He's not top 10.

Danny Woodhead should’ve been a Husker but he was just a decent average NFL player.

9 year NFL career is considered average….

c6454e5f5f6d6e1aa807f009b6fddcd6.gif

Bob Gibson
Gale Sayers
Johnny Rodgers
Ed Weir
Bob Boozer
Dave Rimington
Mick Tinglehoff
Pat Fischer
Dean Steinkuhler
Marlin Briscoe
Larry Station
Erick Strickland

He's not top 10.

Agree 100% on your first 3 but I'd rank Sayers over Gibson.... Let's remember Sayers was also one of the greatest track athletes in Nebraska history. However an excellent list imo.

Last edited:
Agree 100% on your first 3 but I'd rank Sayers over Gibson.... Let's remember Sayers was also one of the greatest track athletes in Nebraska history. However an excellent list imo.
Thanks
Those aren’t necessarily my 1 till 15 ranking of players. This is a list off the top of my head.

9 year NFL career is considered average….

c6454e5f5f6d6e1aa807f009b6fddcd6.gif
He rushed for 2,700 yards in 9 years. One year of 750 yards, one year of 600 and then blah. He had a generally longer career than average but I’m not even sure you can claim he has average stats.

He doesn’t even rank in the top 250 for rushing yards.

Also please note … not suggesting he isn’t a great athlete. He's just not top 20.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back