• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Great Read on Asst Coach Molinari (LJS)

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Brian Rosenthal's Write-up on Coach Molinari in LJS :)

"Molinari's grind-it-out defense fits Miles' system!"

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_751e3a4e-9ab7-586e-87fa-cf5c87cc5a08.html

Leaving a head coaching job to become an assistant was the hardest career decision Molinari said he’s ever made. He made it on a gut feeling, saying he believed in Miles and wanted to be part of a value-based program with high expectations and goals.

“Nebraska basketball has gone from being the hunter to the hunted,” Molinari said, “and that’s a big change.

“And he (Miles) knows that as the year goes on, everything becomes a possession-oriented game, especially in the Big Ten. I just think I understand what NCAA Tournament play and Big Ten play comes down to. Everything is contested. Everything. So they become possession-oriented games. You’re going to have nights you’re not going to shoot well, so you better have something.”

Developing such a defensive identity is what turned around Nebraska’s breakthrough season, when the Huskers went from being unable to guard anyone at the Charleston Classic in November to playing gritty defense while feeding off energized crowds at Pinnacle Bank Arena during a late-season surge.

Continuing that mentality, Miles said, is vital for his players.

Toughness on defense, Molinari said, is based on how hard players guard the ball, beginning with the guards.

“I think Benny (Parker) is a game-changer in that he creates a tremendous toughness whenever he’s in the game by how he challenges the ball,” Molinari said. “If you’re going to be Benny’s size, you’ve got to be a rip-your-heart-out guy."

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back