• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Great OWH read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riley’s Tunnel Walk plays out differently. The first guys out of the locker room are players. Riley is toward the front of the pack walking down the red carpet, but then he does something unusual. As the fog machine conceals Nebraska’s entrance to the field, the head coach slips out of traffic.

I love this, the players are the reason we go to these games. Seems like they re learning that and they are responsible. They know when they do well and when they efff it up. IMHO, this is the best article ever written by Dirk.

So Pelini emphasized top down leadership, while Riley's is bottom up. I always thought Pelini's teams fell apart because they were too keyed up for big games. They often started strong (were ahead initially), but something happened after an initial adrenaline phase. A post-adrenaline crash maybe?

I played for 2 coaches in college. One had some Bo like qualities in that he was big with curfews, bed checks, early morning manditory conditioning, manditory study hall, and if you made a mistake the horn sounded and you took a seat on the bench, usually followed by scowls and sniping remarks. The other didn't do any of that. His attitude was we could just as easily be in a barracks somewhere in some crappy country, so if kids could manage that, then living in a pretty nice atmosphere in college should be pretty simple. He also said we knew what it took to earn and keep our playing time, and what it took to win games. We had a successful program and our leadership was outstanding every year. Those were the ones who worked the hardest at practice, did extra work in the offseason and after practice, and jumped on guys who slacked. Did they party a little too? Of course, but they knew when to cut loose and have fun and when to dial it back and get focused.

You don't build that kind of atmosphere the first year you are there, and you definitely need some of the 'right kind' of players each recruiting class to make it work. Considering you still have nearly all of the upperclassmen from a prior system it's probably not quite what it will be in the coming years, but it's good to see many are recognizing the expectations and responsibilities of themselves personally.

And you seem to be missing the bigger picture. It's about the future, not the past. :thumbsup:

I love coach Riley and I liked coach Bo, but if it were truly about the future and not the past the picture on the front page of the world herald would not have been Bo. Dirk will continue to get in his shots anytime he can. I am very excited about the future, love this coach and his staff and the players, we all need to move on.

I thought overall it was another example of how well DC can write. When he writes human interest he can be very good. I don't like his writing when he gets into his use of statistics to try and prove his point or when he is being whiney. He does have some strange vendetta with BP. The anamonsity went both ways. They are both thin skinned guys.

I think he was trying to show the 2 different styles of coaching which was good. I think his preference was showing through. That may be due to his disdain for BP.

You can be a disciplinarian top down leader like BP was and be successful. Nick Sabin is a great example of this, but I don't think Sabin is that way all the time, while I do think BP was like that most of the time. I don't think Nick Sabin is a thin skinned guy.

I think last year was a buy in year, I think the loss to BYU set the tone early and it made it that much harder. A win in that game and the buy in whould have been sooner.

Mostly insightful article, but the mr/bp comparison so lame and useless. It would have been just as good of an article without. Fans are moving on and dirk needs to as well to be credible.(geez bo must have spooked dirk real good, spit on his donut, sneezed on his iPhone, etc.,etc.)

I disagree. You can't understand the present situation without the context (and contrast with) of the past.

I love coach Riley and I liked coach Bo, but if it were truly about the future and not the past the picture on the front page of the world herald would not have been Bo. Dirk will continue to get in his shots anytime he can. I am very excited about the future, love this coach and his staff and the players, we all need to move on.
Dirk was not digging Pelini...

Wow....are you not capable of allowing others to have an opinion on a subject without creating a division among the fans. Usually it's teenage females who live and die for the drama.

I haven't read the article yet, but when I do, my opinion on it will be based on the article, not whether or not I hate the DC.

And I'm saying many won't base their opinion on the article, but rather the author...that's my opinion.

Wow....are you not capable of allowing others to have an opinion on a subject without creating a division among the fans. Usually it's teenage females who live and die for the drama.

I haven't read the article yet, but when I do, my opinion on it will be based on the article, not whether or not I hate the DC.

You are a better person for basing your opinion on the article and not the author, many will not do that though.

C

I actually think Dirk is one of the most talented sports feature writers out there. He takes original, unique angles on what can often be a repetitive subject. Dirk works for the fresh stuff and I for one appreciate that. So those who think I'm a bo defender are gravely mistaken. Bos been gone for nearly two years and frankly doesn't need any help with sabotaging his reputation as he is quite efficient on that front on his own. Just seems like old news to me and I think Dirk has to lose the hate before it makes him boring.

And I'm saying many won't base their opinion on the article, but rather the author...that's my opinion.
Thanks captain obvious. I'm sure we understand that's your opinion. But again, why do you feel the need to make the subject controversial without even addressing the article at that. Whatever reason someone likes it or dislikes it means next to nothing and isn't really worth addressing unless your intentions is to rehash the same dumb arguments that occurred on this board over the last few years.

It's a good article, why not just leave it at that?.........No, "its a good article and if you don't think so then you must be against the current coaching staff".........quickly to follow it will be that dumb cliche "get over it, Pelini's not coming back"........

Personally, I like the article. Think it's a good read.

See how simple that was......

Thanks captain obvious. I'm sure we understand that's your opinion. But again, why do you feel the need to make the subject controversial without even addressing the article at that. Whatever reason someone likes it or dislikes it means next to nothing and isn't really worth addressing unless your intentions is to rehash the same dumb arguments that occurred on this board over the last few years.

It's a good article, why not just leave it at that?.........No, "its a good article and if you don't think so then you must be against the current coaching staff".........quickly to follow it will be that dumb cliche "get over it, Pelini's not coming back"........

:thumbsup:

C

Wah wah wah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back