• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Grade the hire:

grade the hire

• A

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • B

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • C

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • D

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
I gave it a B. Miles has a track record of steady improvement with each job he has had. Both teams he most recently coached were in the NCAA tournament this year. While his record is not blazing, he might be the right guy for building this program. Not a flashy hire, but time will tell.

What convinced me to vote a B grade was the fact that he has taken a roster with a bunch of Nebraka kids on it and COLORADO STATE WON a big dance game. Remind me, how many NCAA tourney games has NU won?

I gave the hire a "B" for the same reason that PopCorn did!

Last edited:
While not a fan of CSU, I have been watching them play quite a bit ever since a former student of mine walked on for the Rams two years ago. I have liked what I have seen. Miles appears to know the game. I know he has brought back real fan enthusiasm in Fort Collins. I went up there this year for a game, and found the tickets all sold out. I know Ram fans and players are very disappointed to lose him.

I hope Husker fans will give him a chance. To me, the tale of the tape will be if he can recruit. I hope he can.

PS - I noticed a fairly new billboard on I-25 near Fort Collins touting the Rams and there is a 20' high photo of Miles in the middle of it. Wonder how long it will take to bring that down?

Last edited:

solid hire, then again, Groce or Miles were my favorites from the beginning.

Good fit and someone who knows the area. Quality person too... GBR!

I gave it a C, probably a little too high. It is very sad that our school, when lookiing for a basketball coach, can not look out or up, because of lack of interest, and must look down, as we have done for lo these many 50+ years. Mediocrity is us, and I guess we are doomed to rest there into perpetuity.

Might as well have kept Doc. Not that I don't like Miles (though I wasn't as impressed by his presser as some) I don't think the hire was step up.

Take it with a grain of salt, I don't follow BB closely.

Might as well have kept Doc. Not that I don't like Miles (though I wasn't as impressed by his presser as some) I don't think the hire was step up.

Take it with a grain of salt, I don't follow BB closely.

I will take it with a grain of salt. :)

You could not keep Doc. I would hope we would have faith in Osborne's judgement to let him go. Attendance was dwindling. Fan interest was fading. And Doc had six years. Yes, we know about the injuries this season (and there was some excuse every year). Doc had lost faith in the majority that he could ever get this program over the hump -- and there was zero evidence that he could. A fresh start was absolutely needed -- because, at the very least, it presents hope. Doc had peaked. We don't know what Miles will bring -- but he does bring an opportunity and an initial surge of hope. Trust me -- if Doc was around next season, you'd likely be looking at the lowest attendance in Husker basketball Devaney Center history.

Last edited:
Voted C, seems pretty par for the course. We'll see what his staff looks like and how recruiting goes the next few years. Right now, I don't feel it'll be any better than it has been, hope I am proven wrong!!

I will take it with a grain of salt. :)

You could not keep Doc. I would hope we would have faith in Osborne's judgement to let him go. Attendance was dwindling. Fan interest was fading. And Doc had six years. Yes, we know about the injuries this season (and there was some excuse every year). Doc had lost faith in the majority that he could ever get this program over the hump -- and there was zero evidence that he could. A fresh start was absolutely needed -- because, at the very least, it presents hope. Doc had peaked. We don't know what Miles will bring -- but he does bring an opportunity and an initial surge of hope. Trust me -- if Doc was around next season, you'd likely be looking at the lowest attendance in Husker basketball Devaney Center history.

There will always be the question in the back of my mind, how would Doc have done recruiting to the new facilities? Yes, they were planned, but Miles will actually get to show them to recruits.

There will always be the question in the back of my mind, how would Doc have done recruiting to the new facilities? Yes, they were planned, but Miles will actually get to show them to recruits.

I gave it a C. As far as candidates that were head coaches already...Miles is about the bottom of the list NU was looking at. I simply can't believe that rob jeter character was ever a serious candidate. He was just interviewed for affirmative action purposes. Sutton? Eh...maybe sutton would have been more underwhelming. But not much.

"Rebuilt everywhere he's been". Mayville State?

Obviously he's a good coach. He's not what you would have hoped for but he's the one who was willing to take the job so you gotta give him credit for guts. As for the cartwheels everyone is doing about his humor, enthusiasm, etc. That's the way it is when you fired an awful coach and hire a guy who's coming in with some success...people get excited. This will definitely be a wait and see deal. He's got the money to hire recuiting bad-azzes...he better do it because that's about all that matters now.

Disappointing they couldn't do better but not terrible considering where NU's been in the last few years.

Doc could neither coach nor recruit. He could show them the Taj Mahal and it would look like a Motel 6.

Last edited:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120325/BIGRED/703259865/1001#criticism-huskers-don-t-land-changer

Markowski and Reid sound like they are in the "C" range as well. Funny how the comments at the end of the column rip into those two. Anyway, this is a definite "wait-and-see" hire.

I think just about anybody would be a wait and see hire at NU. That goes for Groce, Smart, Marshall, et al. Maybe you have more confidence with some of those guys, but you always have to wonder if anyone will EVER have success at NU moving forward. I think it's ok to be cautiously optimistic with Miles. Heck, it could just turn out this is a diamond in the rough hire, as you say, time will tell. I REALLY hope it is, I'm excited to see what he can do.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back