• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Good year not great. What needs to change? In a word or two: Line play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patently Husker Red

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Throughout the year we had moments of great o-line and d-line play...and then times they did nothing, either no pass rush, no push on 3rd and short, etc.

That's the biggest deficiency I see. Our inability to dominate or even just win most of the battles up front on both sides against the more elite teams we face is the biggest reason why we had a good, not great year.

Is that a talent issue? Coaching? I really don't know. I know we have some supposedly great Olinemen that are young and didn't play this year, but could make a difference next year, but who really knows until we actually see them play. What about on the d-line? we have some youth there and some supposedly great guys who didn't play. Does the dline take the next step next year? Again, who knows.

Coaching? Barney has been discussed here, so no need to go in depth on him now. We lost our dline coach (Carl) and got a new one...who seems good based on all reports thus far, but we really don't know yet. Is it time for barney to move to a different spot in the program? Something else that needs changing?

I don't have enough facts to answer these questions with certainty. I do hold out hope for our youth, some who redshirted this year and some who are just young, on both sides to make us more consistent in 2012. Other than that, I don't have answers. But I believe those two spots are the main issues preventing us taking that next step of actually winning a conference championship, and not just competing for them some of the time.

:2cents:

Last edited:

9-4 is an average year. 10-3 or 11-2 is a Good year. Anything better is a GREAT year. IMO :Biggrin:

Better QB play - needs to be far more accurate and make better decisions (i.e. likely need someone other than TM)

Better line play - offense AND defense. O-line has been un-Nebraska-like forever. D-line too often gets no pressure (sometimes by design but can't be THAT much)

Better playcalling - Beck is too clever by half waaaaaay too often . . . mixing it up is good, but know when to resist the urge when the basics are working really well!

Better gloves??? - Seriously, what is up with the WRs and TEs and not being able to catch??!!!! Tmart is shaky enough with the pass . . . can't have the drops when he does get them the ball.

Last edited:
I mostly agree with ramsker.

But, I'd also add that something has to change with the O-Line. The inconsistencey and penalties are a sign that something is off.

And, the recruiting has fixed the depth issues, yes there is still significant youth, but, at this point in the season, they are not young anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back