• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Gary Pinkel hall of fame?

MiniDisk

Option Football anyone?
2 Year Member
Is pinkel really HOF material?

Toledo - 73-37-3 record - one Conf Championship in 95
Mizzu - 118-73 record - no Conf titles. 3 b12 north titles, 2 sec east titles. (not in the same div as bama/auburn/lsu/a&m) georgia was not good during his sec days.

yes hes the all time wins leader for both schools but hes never had an elite team and only sniffed a top 5 ranking twice, even his conference record is just above 500 ball (64-57).

Last edited:

College football has a bunch of people in the ‘hall of fame’ that don’t belong there. The criteria for entry to me is uncertain. It’s a wild card. Gary Pinkel did a fine job at Mizzou, but it’s certainly not worthy of the hall of fame.

The CFB Hall of Fame is probably the most "loose" of any of the major sport hall of fames out there. I'm not trying to boast, but I'm a voter for the CFB Hall of Fame. While I work in college athletics, I have very little to do with football. Essentially, if I have a vote, there's potentially thousands that vote. I think all that's required to vote is paying to be a "member" of the National Football Foundation, and it's not that much money. So, right off the bat, voting is very suspect. When it comes to coaches, this year's field was pretty weak. I know people are pointing to Gary Pinkel, but a guy who coached at Memphis and finished with a career record of 99-44-1 was voted in this year. Voters can select up to two coaches in the nomination pool for induction each year, and I'm not lying when I say that Pinkel was probably the second-most accomplished coach in the pool. I voted for Pinkel as one of my two selections. 191 wins, regardless of where a person coached, is pretty hard to ignore. Granted, voters could choose to select no one, if they wanted to, but where's the fun in that?

The CFB Hall of Fame is probably the most "loose" of any of the major sport hall of fames out there. I'm not trying to boast, but I'm a voter for the CFB Hall of Fame. While I work in college athletics, I have very little to do with football. Essentially, if I have a vote, there's potentially thousands that vote. I think all that's required to vote is paying to be a "member" of the National Football Foundation, and it's not that much money. So, right off the bat, voting is very suspect. When it comes to coaches, this year's field was pretty weak. I know people are pointing to Gary Pinkel, but a guy who coached at Memphis and finished with a career record of 99-44-1 was voted in this year. Voters can select up to two coaches in the nomination pool for induction each year, and I'm not lying when I say that Pinkel was probably the second-most accomplished coach in the pool. I voted for Pinkel as one of my two selections. 191 wins, regardless of where a person coached, is pretty hard to ignore. Granted, voters could choose to select no one, if they wanted to, but where's the fun in that?
double yikes....

Is pinkel really HOF material?

Toledo - 73-37-3 record - one Conf Championship in 95
Mizzu - 118-73 record - no Conf titles. 3 b12 north titles, 2 sec east titles. (not in the same div as bama/auburn/lsu/a&m) georgia was not good during his sec days.

yes hes the all time wins leader for both schools but hes never had an elite team and only sniffed a top 5 ranking twice, even his conference record is just above 500 ball (64-57).
It could be worse. They could act like the Rock and Roll HOF and start inducting soccer players.

A few thoughts popped in my head.

Hayden Fry.
Guess Solich is a lock to make it in.
Should have two levels for coaches, Stagg/Warner or Rockne level for the best and then the Fry level for the rest.

Then you have the complete opposite end of the spectrum when you look at the Baseball Hall of Fame. You got a very small amount of baseball writers deciding who gets into the Hall. IMO it is a farce on the other end of the spectrum. There are too many of those guys that think they are saving the integrity of the game by not allowing guys into the hall. Clemons, McGuire, Sosa, Bonds all deserve to be in the HOF. If you want to say they played in the steroid era than so be it, but they deserve to be in the HOF.

I know some feel Rose should be in the HOF and I personally would put him in after his death, but not while he is living. I wouldn't put him in for the simple reason that he agreed to the ban. So he should stay out in his lifetime.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back