• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Game #11, Sun 12/13 vs Rhode Island @ PBA, 1:00pm CST

Had prior commitments today so I missed the game. :(
Sounds like it was a good one. Congratulations on the win HUSKERS. :clap:

Suns had an afternoon game so I missed it. Glad to hear they won! Sounds like Shields came out determined to erase the Creighton game! Watson having a possible breakout game is good for his confidence! And, Fuller, who I expected to play a big role this year finally showed up!

good game, from the sense that NU faced adversity, staged a comeback, and found a way to win. hopefully some lessons can be learned. I like Jacobson starting and Hammond coming off the bench. Jacobsen needs to keep shooting and looking for opportunities. he's getting better.

my biggest positive from the game - besides the fact they won - is this: I actually saw 3 drives and dishes to a bigman down low. Finally a guard was able to penetrate and dish off to a wide open bigman for an easy layup. Shields to jacobsen, Webster to Jacobsen, and one that really blew my mind....hammond down low to Fuller for the 2hand dunk. haven't seen that all year. Jacobsen has a much better feel for "getting out of the way" when guys are driving to the basket and he made himself ready and available for easy dump passes. Hopefully trust will be established and guards will start doing this more.

a couple quick hits -
AW3 had some downright ridiculous turnovers. 2 of them, in a row, at an absolutely critical point in the game. (3 mins to go, NU down 2). dribbled the ball off his foot and while trying to recover crossed halfcourt, and the very next possession picked up his pivot foot while making a chest pass. both were completely unforced and inexcusable at this level of bball. which leads me to my next thought....

how good could NU be if both Shields and AW3 decide to play well in the same game? vs CU it was AW3. tonight it was Shields. IF Nu could get reasonable production out of both players at the same time, we'd be pretty decent. Its nice to see them scoring high 20's low 30's ppg, but man, i'd take an 20 point and 16 point game out of both of them in the same outing any day of the week. it seems like the opposing team's gameplan is to take one of them completely out of the game. Fortunately for NU, Shields was able to step up tonight.

Watson is starting to come into his own. he played well tonight. he's still a bit of a defensive liability, but with more playing time and more vested in the outcome of the game, I believe he'll start committing more effort on the defensive side. He hit a huge shot to put NU up 4 with about 40 seconds to go. clutch.

Benny hit a Huge 3 at the end to give NU the lead, but outside of that, he struggled on offense. Forced action turnovers at the beginning of the game. he seems to be pressing on offense cause watson is breathing down his neck. At this point, it appears that the only reason he is starting is because he is a senior. not sure i agree with that, if that is what Miles is doing, and obviously i don't know that for a fact, but based on the production of both players to this point, i can't see any reason why Watson isn't starting.

Morrow seems to be getting fewer and fewer minutes each game lately. they better get him coached up because he is too good of an athlete to be sitting on the bench.

If I was coaching, my starting 5 for the next game would be Shields, AW3, Watson, Morrow, Jacobsen. (hammond comes in to spell jacobsen, Fuller/McVeigh for Morrow, Benny for Watson and Webster for either Shields or AW3.

I think Miles found a starter by accident when Morrow and Hammond missed the Creighton shoot around because of classes. Now if Morrow can start playing power forward instead of Center, maybe we start doing more things the right way.

I love the way Jacobson is playing with his head up, receiving and making passes. I think Hammond is getting better at this as well, but he's not as good at receiving. Maybe he should have played tight end in high school? :thumbsup:

Conference starting line-up(?):

Watson/Parker
Webster
White
Shields
Jacobson

GBR :N:

I noticed Johnny Trueblood was wearing a suit during the game. Is he hurt or redshirting or both? I would have put in Borchardt in against the beast in the middle from Abilene Christian just to lean on him, unless he's also leaning towards a redshirt year. Liking the bench getting longer... they need to get consistency too.

Probably too late to Redshirt since they've both played in regular season games. Trueblood was seriously ill last fall, delaying his joining the team for practice, however. Hope it's not a recurrence.

Last edited:

I think the medical redshirt rule is something like "injured in the first half of the season, participated in less than 30% of the games or 3 games whichever is greater". So, playing in 4 games is less than 9 which would be 30%, I think.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back