• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost on football this fall

I feel for your grandma because she is in a tough situation, but isn't it also plausible that someone in your town could go to Omaha for medical treatment, or on business and get infected and then infect her at the local grocery store? Nearly every county in every state has had positive cases...i'm guessing the county your grandma lives in is not completely free of the virus and someone that doesn't travel to Omaha or a football game could also infect her.

Do you think the chances of getting a virus are the same if you walk by a guy on the street as they are from sitting with 90 thousand people in a stadium?

Again, you can’t stop social media. NEVER suggested otherwise. The only way to stop that, as with violence, and that would add more fuel to the fire. There isn’t much you can do about it. A football game, or any other place where large masses of people gather for a planned, money paying enterprise, you can do some thing about that. I sure hope that no one close to you gets very sick with it. I’ve already lost a 54-year-old brother-in-law who was in perfect health. Good luck to you and your family.

Yes. If Nebraska came out and said tomorrow that the week one game is cancelled, I doubt 30-40K fans would still show up at the stadium week one.

The data suggests that that the predictive death rate is extremely low. It depends on what data someone looks at. If someone does not want to go - don't go - but if our nation believes gathering 10's of thousands of people for marches and demonstrations is appropriate and worth the risk then gathering 10's of thousands together for a football should be no more risky.

I disagree with your analogy here. Those protesters are going out no matter what anyone does or says, and not everyone thinks it's appropriate during a pandemic, believe me. People won't just show up to Memorial Stadium in September if the games are cancelled. I'd bet not a single fan. Unless of course, they were there to protest it being cancelled.

These marches and protests are not on whim's. They are organized, communicated out in advance and publicized to encourage attendance.

True but still a completely different animal. Cancel week one at Memorial Stadium and ZERO fans show up. Cancel a protest march and people will still show up.

No, some people continue to have breathing issues months after infection. And on rare occasions having to have lung transplants like a 20 year old otherwise healthy individual did in Chicago or another guy I saw in the news today may have to have.. I think i also remember reading how some have to be on dialysis for kidney damage. Other issues include liver, neurological and psychological.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer. Just some issues being seen. So who knows what will happen to who? It's a "novel" virus which means little about it is known and we're still learning.

The psychological effects of Covid 19 are far worse on those who've never contracted the disease.

It's staggering.

I disagree. Sitting around with a group of 90,000 other people is like a petri dish. Why do you suppose large gatherings are discouraged during this pandemic?

All I'm saying is that it can be caught from any where so, no one can really be sure if they got it at a game or elsewhere.

Look, my mom is 89. My brother and his wife live with and take care of her. Me, my sisters, my kids, nieces & nephews, church folks and others all go visit her to help out. She also goes to the doctors and other places as needed. How can anyone be sure, if she gets it, which one of us gave it to her or even from where she got it? Sure, I might get it @ a game, (I'd never kNow, though, that I got it there), but it doesn't mean I'm the one that passed it to her.

None of us want to get Covid-19 but we are all bound to, sooner or later. :Smile:

By the way, 90,000 folks aren't needed to pass it around. All it takes are 2 or more people to come in close contact...like in a store or daycare or getting new plates for a vehicle, (like I went through the last couple days), for example.

Last edited:
Do you think the chances of getting a virus are the same if you walk by a guy on the street as they are from sitting with 90 thousand people in a stadium?

Are all 90000 sitting with in 1 meter? probably a better chance from guy on street than some rando in West Stadium, a few hundred yards away.

2 to each side, 3 directly behind you might be able to transmit it to you, though outdoor transmission has been shown over and over to be less likely. (thus the reason I italicized might). 5 people in the whole stadium is a skeptic's guess. Others would argue far more and have valid reasons for claiming higher numbers, but for arguments sake i'll stick with my easy numbers.

Nearly 2 mil in Nebraska, 20K positives this entire year, so how many symptomatic cases active right now? Maybe a few thousand? Maybe more, maybe less. That means 1 out of every 1000 Nebraskans you interact with could have the virus.

Or, roughly 90 people in a full stadium. (edited this post. Originally had posted 9 people instead of 90, which is obviously not correct math)

People come from all over and there are more cases in LNK/OMA than the rest of the state, so the numbers are very far from perfect, but the point is the same. Statistically speaking, your chances of getting it at a full capacity stadium is so small.

Show up early and make your way to your seat. Don't touch stuff on the way in. Don't high five people or hug strangers, like I have done many times after a big play.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has already been posted or not..

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19.

Jacobson made his projections from CDC data that estimates one death per 1,000 people who have symptoms in the college age group (18-22). Taking into account that range and medical care provided for football players, the death rate would be lower than the general population, Jacobson said.

Last edited:
Are all 90000 sitting with in 1 meter? probably a better chance from guy on street than some rando in West Stadium, a few hundred yards away.

2 to each side, 3 directly behind you might be able to transmit it to you, though outdoor transmission has been shown over and over to be less likely. (thus the reason I italicized might). 5 people in the whole stadium is a skeptic's guess. Others would argue far more and have valid reasons for claiming higher numbers, but for arguments sake i'll stick with my easy numbers.

Nearly 2 mil in Nebraska, 20K positives this entire year, so how many symptomatic cases active right now? Maybe a few thousand? Maybe more, maybe less. That means 1 out of every 1000 Nebraskans you interact with could have the virus.

Or, roughly 9 people in a full stadium.

People come from all over and there are more cases in LNK/OMA than the rest of the state, so the numbers are very far from perfect, but the point is the same. Statistically speaking, your chances of getting it at a full capacity stadium is so small.

Show up early and make your way to your seat. Don't touch stuff on the way in. Don't high five people or hug strangers, like I have done many times after a big play.

Oh yeah, and "Hey, sick people...people who have tested positive...stay home." Now there are less than 90 in the stadium.(edited after incorrect math had me originally post 9) Maybe a couple who know they have it and come anyway? Maybe 10? Maybe a number more that are asymptomatic (and likely won't pass it along to anyone anyway).

Hard to hear that opening a stadium is a guarantee that someone's elderly relative will get it. That just isn't true. That can be the fear, but that doesn't mean it is the reality.

Last edited:

Am I understanding this cbssports thing correctly? 30 to 50 percent will get. Lets us 50 percent to make easy math. 6500 will get it. I believe it says that 1 out of 1000 that have symptoms will die in this age group. So, do they expect 50 to 100 percent of the infected to have symptoms? The amount of deaths appears to be calculated based on 1/2 to all having symptoms. Trying to figure out the logic.

Talking about 90k fans in the stadium? It’s not happening.

I actually hope we limit fan attendance to 25 percent. The more fans who contact the virus the greater the chance someone will try to shut down the games.

Regardless, there’s no way the state is going to allow anything close to full capacity. Be happy that we may get to watch our boys on TV this season.

Talking about 90k fans in the stadium? It’s not happening.

I actually hope we limit fan attendance to 25 percent. The more fans who contact the virus the greater the chance someone will try to shut down the games.

Regardless, there’s no way the state is going to allow anything close to full capacity. Be happy that we may get to watch our boys on TV this season.

France is starting to allow up to 5K fans back for soccer matches starting on July 10. We should have some good info to use to evaluate fans in the stadium by this fall. Italy and Spain are evaluating the issue, but likely will do something similar.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back