• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Former SEAL eagerly meets his next challenge as a Husker football player

I am guessing that not knowing how to swim and earning the Trident is more than just "really difficult". They would be insane to turn this guy away even if he doesn't make the grade. They are also insane for turning away an all state kid for the walk on program. Both could possibly wash out but both may have what it takes. Just :Sign2cents:.
Surely you aren't trying to correlate playing football and swimming?

I don't see it as one or the other. Sometimes coaches, right or wrong, decide the best thing for a kid is take a scholarship with a smaller program and enjoy his opportunity as a student athlete.

The Jackson kid is obviously a freakish athlete, and his potential as a special teams stud seems off the wall. Couple that with the life experience, leadership potential, and a guy who has just gotten it done without excuses (all things we've been in short supply of), and I understand why he's gotten an invitation to walk on.

I agree with you that I'd like to see more of the locals get the invite to walk on, but if we are generally accepting their judgment on nearly all things from a recruiting standpoint, then why jump ship on their judgement for the walk ons?
Again, i'm not mad that this guy is getting an opportunity. It just seems strange to me that he got the opportunity and an athlete of the year finalist there was no room for so he's just going to school down in Lincoln. Or an All-State lineman with FCS offers. Both going to school down in Lincoln but were told there's no room. This guy getting the opportunity is great and I applaud the coaches.

Who are the HS athlete of the year finalists we turned down? Did we deny them tryouts? Are we sure their measurables are better than this guys?
I'm sure the measureables are different as they would all play different positions. The HS athlete of the year finalist was offered a tryout I believe and the all-state lineman was not so I believe they are both down in Lincoln on academic scholarships now not playing.

Maybe Coach Riley wanted to give someone a chance that served our country. In turn maybe Mr. Jackson can help turn some of the players on the roster into men which will benefit them when they take off the pads for the last time.

I am going to look at this as a win win situation for a man who served our country with distinction and the knowledge/work ethic he can bestow within the football program.

A big Hip Hip Hooray for former Navy Seal Damian Jackson and Coach Mike Riley.

Interesting point. Didn't Pelini bring in a group (navy seals or other ex-military types) that did a training program with players a few years back? As I recall, the central theme was working better as a team, but sure there were lots of things learned. It was around 5 years ago.

Interesting point. Didn't Pelini bring in a group (navy seals or other ex-military types) that did a training program with players a few years back? As I recall, the central theme was working better as a team, but sure there were lots of things learned. It was around 5 years ago.
Yes... and the American flag they carried out before games was from them.

yes

Surely you aren't trying to correlate playing football and swimming?
Not quite. My attempt at analogy escaped you.

What I am attempting to say is that qualifying for the esteemed label of Navy Seal is quite a bit more difficult (IMO) than qualifying for playing the game of football and even though the man lacked the fundamentals of that challenge, he rose to the occasion. Again, what I am saying is that rising to the challenge of playing football, lacking fundamental skills, would be less of a challenge than becoming a Navy Seal lacking fundamental skills of that pursuit.

Hope that helps clarify what I mean.

Feel free to blast me here with this take... but I was unaware he hadn't played football before. I find it odd we are turning down high school athlete of the year finalists in our own state who played football for walk-on spots but have room for Jackson. I love the story and do not doubt his heart or character, and i'm not saying this is a bad move. Just is interesting to me.
Not going to blast you but maybe the attitude, character and diverse experience outweighed the talent athlete of the year finalists would have brought to the team. Teams have a wide variety of needs to be successful, his star ranking may be equal to that of a 4 star at the character and motivator position.

While we are speculating on things, I will speculate that this young man does not want to be the cause of some disagreement on who does/doesn't belong on the team. I am sure he would just as soon disappear into the background and do his job, if he can't do his job he will no longer be here. He may become a great player or he may not, I am most assured that his work ethic will be second to none, but if he can't figure out at some point soon how to play football I am sure he will no longer be on the team. Feel good stories are great but winning football is better and I would assume that he would be the first to admit if he is cut that it was because he could not pick up the game.

Feel free to blast me here with this take... but I was unaware he hadn't played football before. I find it odd we are turning down high school athlete of the year finalists in our own state who played football for walk-on spots but have room for Jackson. I love the story and do not doubt his heart or character, and i'm not saying this is a bad move. Just is interesting to me.

I agree we should not be turning down high school athlete of the year finalists who want to walk on. We should not limit the team to 120 players. Bump it up to 140. With the staff growing, we should be able to get some of the many non-assistants to help organize practice to still be efficient. I think this dude will make an impact on special teams. With the way Riley conducts practice don't think he'll get enough reps to ever see the field on D.

I agree we should not be turning down high school athlete of the year finalists who want to walk on. We should not limit the team to 120 players. Bump it up to 140. With the staff growing, we should be able to get some of the many non-assistants to help organize practice to still be efficient. I think this dude will make an impact on special teams. With the way Riley conducts practice don't think he'll get enough reps to ever see the field on D.
Non assistants can't coach on the field as i understand it.

Im shocked you find this an opportunity to bash riley...not.

Non assistants can't coach on the field as i understand it.

Im shocked you find this an opportunity to bash riley...not.
I am the first one to call people on bashing coaches and players. I think you are reaching a bit on this one. I do not really see what was said in this post as Bashing MR. As i see the point he is trying to make as the top two teams are the guys that get a majority of the reps in practice. That is not bashing that is just pointing out the obvious. he did not list as a negative. At least not from my perspective.

I am the first one to call people on bashing coaches and players. I think you are reaching a bit on this one. I do not really see what was said in this post as Bashing MR. As i see the point he is trying to make as the top two teams are the guys that get a majority of the reps in practice. That is not bashing that is just pointing out the obvious. he did not list as a negative. At least not from my perspective.
Then you arent familiar with Savage's m.o.

Then you arent familiar with Savage's m.o.
No I am. I just do not automatically assume all past negativity on every post. When savage is negative he usually is pretty up front with it. In this case he was not so I am not going to assume it was bashing because he bashed him in the past.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back