• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Former OSU coach Pat Jones

But they couldn't carry LP's jock strap...
Ahman Green was better. Perhaps not as a true freshman, but by 1997 AG was arguably the best one we have had.

As for Phillips, cut back ability is not what he lacked, it was vision. Thst is why you would sometimes see him make cuts, and sometimes you wouldn’t. In the NFL creases are small and disappear much quicker than vs Michigan st.

Phillips also starred in the WFL and in Canadian football. He was just not good enough to excel in the NFL…. Like so many that had plenty of physical ability.

I think as Husker fans we are blessed to have seen some really exceptional running back play over the years to make some great debates. Does make me wonder what backs from different eras would have done behind those mid 90s lines.

For the record, Lawrence Phillips was a terrific back. Anyone doubting his ability (don’t expect to see many around here) watch the 1994 Orange Bowl and take notice to the absolute difference in Nebraska’s offense once LP replaced the injured/ineffective Calvin Jones and Damon Benning.

Agreed, however he didn't replace them because they were injured, in as much as he was suspended for the first half for team rules violations. Was gonna be the game but players pleaded to TO so the compromise. If my memory serves me anyway.

the basis of this thread was LP's ability to cutback, IMO Rex was the best cutback runner we have had, and Cory Ross second. The difference is the offense that they were asked to run. Under Osborne and Solich, backs weren't asked to make more than one read, and then go downhill. They were supposed to have the blocking, aka "time" to look for the hole, or follow their fullback and make one cut, and get what they could. Callahan/Pellini/and the others didn't run that type of offense, and so we saw what we got.

Sanders and Smith also shorter more compact runners. Built to be cutback runners.

It's also really hard comparing anyone to Sanders. His ability to defy physics in his changes of direction was amazing to watch.

My linebacker coach in HS taught tracking and tackling a ball carrier by telling us to'Look at their belt buckle. Kid isn't going anywhere without his belt buckle.' For most ball carriers that's really spot on. The movement is head, shoulders, arms, feet and defenders watching any of those things are in danger of getting faked out and whiffing. Watching Sanders move, I'm not sure that would have helped. Seeing his belt buckle and getting your arms on him to tackle wasn't always guaranteed.

IMG_7302.jpeg

My linebacker coach in HS taught tracking and tackling a ball carrier by telling us to'Look at their belt buckle.

Above you’ll see some grainy old footage of crab that has been enhanced to show his buckle tracking technique.

https://wranglernetwork.com/news/bullfighters-put-safety-first/

Last edited:

Well I will give it a try.

Nebraska's offense really wasn't a cut back offense. Phillips favorite play, which is stated in one of the documentaries of the era, was the stretch zone. The ball would be handed of to him deep and he was able to pick a hole through the zone blocking. Not really a cut back play.

Contrast that with what Minnesota does now. Minnesota is an RPO team with the R portion is designed as cutback running. The play will flow rt or left and they are waiting for over pursuit so they can cut back under that pursuit.

Look at all of Minnesota's RB. They all look the same. They are all about 5'9" maybe 5'10" and about 205-210 built to be cutback runners. Phillips was taller 6' maybe 6'1" about 220. Not built to be a cutback runner. Shorter guys are better cut back runners.
Terrific explanation.

I know these debates don't really ever end, but in my opinion Phillips had the most physical talent at RB I've ever seen (I'm 53) at the college level with the exception maybe of Sanders, Herschel and Bo Jackson. He was THAT good. Obviously we all know where he ended up because of all the other stuff, but you can look up several instances of long time NFL scouts and head coaches saying pretty much the same things about him when he was coming out of college (Vermeil, Jimmy Johnson, etc.)

They weren't wrong.

Ahman Green was awesome but Phillips was on another planet. He was the 6th pick in a draft that included Marvin Harrison, Eddie George and some guy named Ray Lewis. And the Rams knew EVERYTHING about his "demons" and still took him that early. Green had a 1000 times better pro career but for my money, I'm taking Phillips (in college) all day long.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back