• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Foreign Film/Series Recommendations on Netflix or Other Streaming Services

I guess I'd put a couple of Swedish films separated by a generation... You are likely old enough to have been aware of both...

"My Life as a Dog" from 1985 and "A Man Called Ove" 2015 (Not happy that Hollywood/Hanks felt the need to redo it).

Personally, I greatly prefer dubbing English to subtitles. The reason is one spends all their time reading the subtitles and not taking in the actual movie picture experience (facial expressions, scenery, special effects, cinematography, etc). All of the things that separate cinema from other non-visual art forms. I can't remember if the above were dubbed or subtitled; both were great however.

Have seen both A Man Called Ove and A Man Called Otto. I found them to be fairly similar the Hanks version did feel the need to change a thing or 2 needlessly.

Another foreign series we just finished was 'Woman of The Dead'

Another German show.

Very good, twists and turns, not great, but worth a look.

I'm down to the last two episodes of Dark.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this is all explained by the end. But I'm not looking forward to it being over.

Outstanding series! Top 5 in my Netflix history.

The acting is very good. Especially impressed with the young actress who plays Martha.

I'm wondering if there's ever been a series with more actors with significant roles than Dark. Most characters have 2-3 actors playing them in different times and worlds.

Last edited:

I'm down to the last two episodes of Dark.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this is all explained by the end. But I'm not looking forward to it being over.

Outstanding series! Top 5 in my Netflix history.

The acting is very good. Especially impressed with the young actress who plays Martha.

I'm wondering if there's ever been a series with more actors with significant roles than Dark. Most characters have 2-3 actors playing them in different times and worlds.

Glad you liked it.

I mentioned right out of the gate that it wasn't a series you could float in and out of. With everything that's going on in different times and the different faces, you've got to be in the show to keep up.

Overdue for additions.

The End of the F***ing World (Netflix). No, I'm not trying to beat the word filter lol -- that's how you'll find it.

Dark comedy. Two seasons. Fast-paced. British. I adore the two main actors. Their characters are very well developed, and you'll feel emotional attachments to both. Alyssa and James. Two teenage outcasts who run away together and become fugitives.

The "comedy" part is mostly in season one. It's twisted and occasionally violent. Wild "Bonnie and Clyde" type of adventure. Road trip with blood shed.

Seems much more playful/fun in the trailer than it really becomes.

You'll know if it's for you after episode one.

Last edited:

We're seven shows into a new Spanish series called 'Burning Body'.

It's worth a watch. Based on a true story that is hard to believe and not.

Burning-Body-–-Netflix-Original-Season-1-Complete-Vegamovies.jpg

Last edited:
"The Chestnut Man".

Not bad.

French. Hokey at times, but a mind numbing reality escape.

"The Black Dot"....same as above.

Watching "Outlander" now. I think it is 7 seasons. Still on season 1.

Not bad, drags at times though.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back