• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

First year coach Rankings

I would love to see the grading criteria by with the final grade is produced for these coaches. If you are grading the coach/coaching staff for doing all of the "right things" to develop a consistent top-twenty team would be different than grading the coach/coaching staff for how well the team actually performed in their first year in the system. I would give Coach Rhule at least an A-minus in doing all the right thing....but probably only a C-Plus for how well the team performed (acknowledging other variables regarding the team like key injuries)

I would have rated the unnamed Colorado coach a "D" for doing the right things as a first year coach...but the team probably performed to a B-Plus level.

Your views will probably vary!

Definitely put Rhule ahead of Deion and frankly not sure how you can even give a 4-8 coach anything higher than a C-. Hype aside, his team was not even close to a .500 ball club. Rhule probably a C+ and Deion a D+. One head to head result doesn't mean one coach is better than the other.

The criteria is subjective and as such, I'd probably give Ryan Walters more leeway than grading him out as an F since he's a 1st year HC and didn't bring in his own core of all conference level players. Record wise, Walters inherited a better team than Sanders, but Deion due to name recognition and hype was able to bring in key players and proven assistants.

I think at the end of the day the grade should be primarily if you improved your program. Breaking even should be about a C. Deion improved his programs record. Should probably be in the B somewhere. Rhule should probably be around C. The “extra” things regarding building foundation and such are very subjective. Most Colorado people probably feel as strongly as Nebraska fans do about their direction.

They should rank 5-year coaches instead. Larger data set.

I know Sanders is frantically trying to restock his team from the portal. However CU is ranked 106th (247 sports) while the Huskers are ranked 18 in recruiting . Nothing to add about the difference between those 2 coaches going forward.

I know Sanders is frantically trying to restock his team from the portal. However CU is ranked 106th (247 sports) while the Huskers are ranked 18 in recruiting . Nothing to add about the difference between those 2 coaches going forward.
In this day and age, each new season is a combination of high school, recruiting and transfers from the portal. Using 247 for 2024, Dion ranks 21 in combined portal and recruits, and Nebraska ranks 23. Seems comparable to me — understanding that there is a dramatically different philosophy on how to get where you want to be.

In this day and age, each new season is a combination of high school, recruiting and transfers from the portal. Using 247 for 2024, Dion ranks 21 in combined portal and recruits, and Nebraska ranks 23. Seems comparable to me — understanding that there is a dramatically different philosophy on how to get where you want to be.
We’ll see how good Dion’s recruiting methods work out when they visit the Huskers this fall.

Well as painful as it is to say…..his has worked better. They are 1-0
What’s past it past.... It will be very interesting to see which program has progressed more from last season. However we did win one more game then CU last season in a tougher conference imo. I do not believe you can build a successful long term program almost exclusively using the portal.

What’s past it past.... It will be very interesting to see which program has progressed more from last season. However we did win one more game then CU last season in a tougher conference imo. I do not believe you can build a successful long term program almost exclusively using the portal.
All your impact should come right away. While he had some, his conference record was the same.
I expect them to be better this year, but I think we'll be even better than them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back