• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

First to do what many are already thinking about

I wanna see how we finish this year before I contemplate next year. Going 3-0 these last games would be AMAZING!

As for next year, well, HCSF did go 13-0 in his second year at UCF. Just sayin'...

I started looking at this already last year. We have a much easier schedule replacing Michigan and Michigan State with Maryland and Indiana. Now the Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa games are at home. I see 10-2 worst case scenarios. Personally even with this tough schedule this year if we could start over with this team I think we are 6-3 minimum instead of 2-7.
Kool-Aid is a powerful drug.

Interesting. So what part of this schedule isn't still a beast. I would say that 3-4 teams. Colorado, Troy, Purdue and Northwestern are showing what we expected or more. Wisconsin under-performed as to their initial rankings and Ohio State and Michigan are in the top 10 and we played them both on the road. Most computer rankings have our SOS in the teens and we still have 2 rated teams to play.
Colorado is proving that they are not a good football team. Their 5-0 start was probably the greatest smoke and mirrors job of all time.
Purdue is OK. 7-5 or 6-6. That's nothing that's going to get anyone worried when they see that on a schedule.
Troy is troy.
NW is NW...should have beaten them. Had them beat.

Wisco under performed. Right. And they were one of the beasts that NU was going to play.

Michigan is legit.

OSU isn't the national title type team we thought they were. Nobody can come away from watching their last 2 games thinking this is the OSU team they thought it would be.

MSU could finish 7-5. Meh.

Iowa will be decent.

Seems you are interpreting my post to mean that this schedule sucks. It doesn't. But people were wetting themselves for the last 10 months worrying about how much of a killer this schedule was. The only time this 2-7 team has been outclassed is by Michigan. The "big 4/5" of Michigan, WIsco, OSU MSU and Iowa are not as good as people thought overall. That's all I'm saying. And it's entirely true.

I wanna see how we finish this year before I contemplate next year. Going 3-0 these last games would be AMAZING!

As for next year, well, HCSF did go 13-0 in his second year at UCF. Just sayin'...
I truly hope that is not our fan base's expectations as that would be unreasonable for many reasons...as this is a different conference, with a different team and needs. Our cupboards were left pretty empty following Riley's departure and subsequent attrition. UCF had the talent in place to compete in that conference right away...they just needed a culture change.

That's all I'm saying. And it's entirely true.
First of all its not entirely true. Second of all when everyone but you is saying we have one of the toughest SOS's being anywhere from 16th to 10th that I have seen then I would call that pretty brutal. And 2 of our last 3 games are against ranked opponents.

I truly hope that is not our fan base's expectations as that would be unreasonable for many reasons...as this is a different conference, with a different team and needs. Our cupboards were left pretty empty following Riley's departure and subsequent attrition. UCF had the talent in place to compete in that conference right away...they just needed a culture change.

Never said I expected an undefeated season. Only a fool would expect that. I would hope I'm not a fool (though the jury's still out on that one).

Just stating a historical fact and using it as a reason to be optimistic about next year. :thumbsup:

First of all its not entirely true. Second of all when everyone but you is saying we have one of the toughest SOS's being anywhere from 16th to 10th that I have seen then I would call that pretty brutal. And 2 of our last 3 games are against ranked opponents.
You don't have to argue with me just because it's me. Simply put...the schedule is not the beast that many made it out to be. Nowhere did I say it wasn't a tough schedule.

Msu will drop out after this week and iowa is already out of the ap....fwiw

Last edited:
You don't have to argue with me just because it's me. Simply put...the schedule is not the beast that many made it out to be. Nowhere did I say it wasn't a tough schedule.

Msu will drop out after this week and iowa is already out of the ap....fwiw
Quite truthful, I don't base my arguments on who the poster is. I prefer to debate what was said in the post. I'm just wondering how this schedule doesn't qualify as a beast when its already one of the toughest 10-15 schedules with 2 out of three more rated teams to play. Some of the teams we played are doing a little worse than expected and some are doing better. Overall it was looked at as a very tough schedule and after 9 games the experts are agreeing.

This schedule combined with the weekly improvements and recruiting I have seen so far, its a recipe for great things. The next three weeks will tell the tale. I dont expect them to address the major issues in the special teams until the off season. So, if they keep getting take aways and keep playing a clean offense, three wins are very possible. So, divide the 2018 season into two halves. The second half will look to me like they got it all figured out. 5-1 with the only loss to tOSU. Imagine how much improvement there will be in the off season. It is ok to see all of this and get excited.

I apologize to those who want to get on board, but dont want to do it so soon. I appreciate that, I do. I'm just saying, toot toot.

Could bad things happen like they did to start off this season? I suppose the start could mis-align two years in a row, but even then, I think the players will step up to the challenges next season. So when there is an avalanche in Boulder and they make the team sleep in an igloo and play Sunday morning, they will know how to handle the adversity and still crush the range cows. I think the biggest difference next season will be the defense. They wont become the top statistical team in the country but they will play with the edge that is required in this teams scheme. They will frustrate quarterbacks and take what does not belong to them regularly. They may lead the nation in take aways.

I know I offered a w/l prediction and that was probably premature. Its hard to look at that schedule and see many defeats. We can get real excited about that. Recruits can see it too. Let's get this train rolling!!

I am hoping that the Huskers win one of these last three. Two would be exceptional in my book and three would be 2019 coach of the year material in the stuff.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back