• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

First game in Lincoln in a loooong time...

CPUHog

Recruit
2 Year Member
To celebrate my recovery from cancer, I am coming to Lincoln with some kids and grandkids to the Rutgers game on October 5! I haven't been to Lincoln since Solich's first game in 98 (La Tech) We are way up in nosebleed (601) but it's still gonna be great!

So, what's a good guide for game day activities in Lincoln? My grandkids are 9 and 6. I know the game time hasnt been determined yet but I want to make this a great experience for everyone. (We are staying at an airbnb on the east side of town. Do you recommend ubering to the stadium rather than try to find parking?)

To celebrate my recovery from cancer, I am coming to Lincoln with some kids and grandkids to the Rutgers game on October 5! I haven't been to Lincoln since Solich's first game in 98 (La Tech) We are way up in nosebleed (601) but it's still gonna be great!

So, what's a good guide for game day activities in Lincoln? My grandkids are 9 and 6. I know the game time hasnt been determined yet but I want to make this a great experience for everyone. (We are staying at an airbnb on the east side of town. Do you recommend ubering to the stadium rather than try to find parking?)
Those are actually great seats. You'll love it up there.

The 600 level is now my favorite in the stadium.

The HuskerMax tailgate is a fun way to meet a few fellow Husker fans. Watch the board for location and gameday menu!

I've enjoyed walking through the Haymarket area with people who haven't been back to Lincoln in a while.

The grandkids may like to see the player arrival at the stadium a few hours before game time. I haven't done that for a few years, so someone else should chime in with the logistics.

Those are actually great seats

Was also going to suggest dropping in at the HM tailgate if you don't have any other tailgate invites. Not that you need them, as a lot of tailgates will adopt anyone. :Lol:

Also, the 600 seats are subjectively among the best in the stadium, which is why when I just got season tickets for the first time ever, I got them up there, and when I did they were literally the last two remaining adjacent seats anywhere on the entire east balcony available this year. Demand for that seating is (relatively) high. Yes, they're up there a ways, but they're roomy, they have built in backrests, the view is very good, and the concessions/restrooms are newer and not crowded. Just be ready for whatever weather, it can get windy up there and they aren't shaded. Here is a 3D render of the field and area view as seen from 601 that you can pan around. I'm in 602 so maybe we can cross paths on gameday if I don't see you at the tailgate. The kids might like that the fireworks come out of the top of the north end stadium, which you will be very close to and nearly level with.

For a couple of favorite sweet stops if you're there early or stay late, I recommend Hurts Donuts and/or Ivanna Cone. Also concur with recommendations for Morrill Hall.

So much will be based on the time of the game and when you get in. Uber in general is a good idea if you aren’t in a rush after the game. I usually find the Uber price is double and hard to get shortly after the game.

Why not take the GKs to Morrill Hall? I'd bet they would love it.

edit: Here's to your continued good health. :Cheers:

Oh, I haven't done this with my own son! I may just try to get into town a little early and check it out.

If there for a long weekend, I've heard good things about Homestead National Historical Park site south of Lincoln. I have that on my list for a Sunday if I'm not in a hurry to get out of town.

I recall Morrill Hall had one of the best life-sized reconstructions of a giant Baluchithere that I have ever seen. And I've seen at least one.

It was the largest thing in there, right in the front hall, bigger than any elephant. Maybe bigger than a mastodon.

Google tells me the new museum director wanted it removed back in 1991, claiming it had asbestos, but also saying since it was a rhinoceros and not an elephant it didn't belong there.

Apparently there was controversy as some faculty and the prior museum director wanted it to stay. You never want to see museum directors get in a fight. They'll poke your eyes out.

The story doesn't say what was decided, but the current Morrill Hall website doesn't show it, so I assume the new director won.

Does anyone know the full story, when and where went the Baluchithere?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back