• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"feels like year 1" excuse validity poll

on a scale of 1-5, how valid is the excuse that NU is in year 1 of new systems

• 5 - this is year 1 of new systems on O and D and we should Judge acordingly

Votes: 8 10.5%

Votes: 4 5.3%

Votes: 13 17.1%

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • 1 - totally invalid - this is year 3 of HCMR and we should judge accordingly

Votes: 39 51.3%

• Total voters
I don't think Riley is making an excuse here. But then I didn't believe that Pelini "dared Eichorst to fire him" either.

Hey speaking of Pelini, guess which other team is 3-4...Youngstown State. Probably time to fire Pelini. Not really. They're actually having a good year, have just played an extremely tough schedule (eyeballing it, looks like Sagarin rates YSU's schedule so far as the second-toughest in all of FCS, behind Northern Iowa's).

Last edited:

I've been thinking about this:

DB is out there trying to chill everyone out on this line from the press conference. saying it was just a statment of feeling or personal perspective, not an excuse or an abdication of responsibility. and i don't think DB is wrong.

but* i think that "this is the way he feels" is a problem. if he - the sole individual responsible for the development of this team, does not see a linear or directional progression in what they are doing/teaching/installing, then that is a really big problem. I'm willing to concede that MR is not using this as an excuse as i originally posted. but i do think that those words from MR - regardless of what question they were in response to, reveal a problem, a particularly big problem. a failure to install or commit to the right direction for NUFB from the word go. if this is the way MR really feels, than he and his staff essentially wasted or threw away two years of leadership/development in '15 '16

Riley said it and meant it, but not as an excuse in my opinion. A lot of us said this at the beginning of the year, totally new defensive scheme and a new type of QB could cause some rough patches. But those things happen usually year 1, maybeeeee year 2. I don't think he was creating an excuse but it certainly came off that way. There's so many things this staff wishes it could do over, I wonder about QB and the D.C. And what we would be like right now if we did it from year 1 the way we are year 3. That's to take nothing away from Armstrong, that kid was so good he covered up massive deficiencies.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back