• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Faux Pelini Totally Gets Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_CornTorch

Scout Team
5 Year Member
Great Washington Post article with our favorite pseudonym coach.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tball-coach-explains-college-football-fandom/

A few memorable quotes:

"If you were born in the 1940s or 1950s, F.B.P. points out, you were a conscious adult, or close to it, once glory began. “This thing that grew over your lifetime,” he says. “Maybe it’s sort of grown and now it’s receding, like a natural life cycle.

If you were born in the 1960s or 1970s or even early 1980s, “there was a time when this felt permanent,” F.B.P. says, referring to “the rightful permanent place of Nebraska being a national title contender.” He concludes: “Because you’re born into them being great, you just think that’s what the world is like.

If you were born from the mid-1990s on, though, it’s something unforeseen. “Everybody in high school and college, pretty much, hasn’t experienced any kind of real Nebraska dominance,” F.B.P. said, so: “It’s really two fan bases now: the people who have experienced the ’80s and ’90s and the people that just hear about it, hear the boring stories about it, you know?”

and this:

“I’m telling you, if Nebraska beats Wisconsin this weekend, people will need to get ready for full-blown Nebraska hype again. . . . I think that’s always there, waiting to be activated. It’s dormant, but it’s ready to go.”

Last edited:

I might quibble with Faux just a bit.

While I was born in the 70s, the success of the 90s was like a white, hot, shooting star that totally sucked you in. It made you delusional and forgetful.

I absolutely remember that horrible string of bowl losses... where you'd run over the weaklings of the Big 8 and just hope and pray that we wouldn't be totally over-matched by Miami or FSU. Back in those years, NU did seem like a paper tiger.

In short, the 90's totally ruined us. We got spoiled.

Last edited:
And I will say this ... Faux Pelini seems a more reasoned Husker fan than about 90% of Husker fan that calls into sports radio talk shows - rambling, short of breath, unrealistic, simple scenario induced rants breaking down performance (kind of, I guess) to support their idea of game strategies have to leave the show hosts wishing they could turn off their microphones to hide hysterical laughter.

But opinions are great. Just like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back