• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** Fall Practice Primer

Fantastic write-up, ***. This kind of in-depth analysis is what I’ve been craving!

I support the TG starts Sept 1 but may not be the starter throughout the season theory. Dr. Rob in the Husker Doc Talk podcast also made a good argument for it. Of course, he also thought we’d go 10-2 last season, so his credibility took a bit of a hit... :)
I told everyone Washington wasn't playing this year so maybe mine did too.

Not sure why there's still "one dimensional" talk about Gebbia. He's not the runner Martinez is, but he's shown that he's plenty mobile. Heck, he was running around pretty good in his first spring game alone. He's not even close to being one dimensional.
Gebbia is far from one dimensional. It will be interesting to see how his body holds up.

I guess all i want to say is that i have not seen those things from TG, and i don't think he has the profile to be great at it, I - personally - would be much happier to see Martinez take this job
In fairness, you’ve seen one, ONE, 1, controlled scrimmage with a green jersey on. There is nothing else to take from that. Who knows what happens when 90,000+ are screaming, and some nasty dudes are trying to rip off their heads. None of us get to see that, or have seen that, so in fairness, you’ve really got no idea, none of us do. I think we see them both.

In fairness, you’ve seen one, ONE, 1, controlled scrimmage with a green jersey on. There is nothing else to take from that. Who knows what happens when 90,000+ are screaming, and some nasty dudes are trying to rip off their heads. None of us get to see that, or have seen that, so in fairness, you’ve really got no idea, none of us do. I think we see them both.

I'll agree that there is a small and unique sample size but it is not nothing (or "no idea" as you say)

We've seen them play. - that is something. Let me try an inductive argument; you can tell me which premise(s) you disagree with or if its the conclusion to which this TG crowd objects

Premises
  • Martinez is more athletic and explosive than gebbia
  • Athleticism and explosiveness at QB is a big factor in the HCSF offense
Conclusiin
  • Therefore Martinez winning this job would mean that our offense could be more potent
Wrong things I've heard so far:
  • We have no idea which one is more athletic - wrong watch the spring game
  • Tistin Gebbia is like Mckinzie Milton - not the same athletic profule, watch the tape
  • It seems TG's decision making accuracy are ahead of AM's - except Martinez was more accurate in the spring game and he looked like he was making good decisions, the post practice audio where HCSF said AM's decision making needs to improved occurred when he was prompted to comment on AM specifically, he was not given the opportunity to say as much as TG
I'm not trying to argue what HCSF should or should not do. I trust him to make the right decision and if AM is not there with decision making and accuracy, then TG may very well be the right decision. I am saying that Martinez winning this job is a better* sign for this offense, and I will be (to a degree) more excited about what this offense can do for a Martinez start than a Gebbia start

Last edited:

I'll agree that there is a small and unique sample size but it is not nothing (or "no idea" as you say)

We've seen them play. - that is something. Let me try an inductive argument; you can tell me which premise(s) you disagree with or if its the conclusion to which this TG crowd objects

Premises
  • Athleticism and explosiveness is a big factor in the HCSF offense
Conclusiin
  • Therefore Martinez winning this job would mean that our offense could be more potent
Wrong things I've heard so far:
  • We have no idea which one is more athletic - wrong watch the spring game
  • Tistin Gebbia is like Mckinzie Milton - not the same athletic profule, watch the tape
  • It seems TG's decision making accuracy are ahead of AM's - except Martinez was more accurate in the spring game and he looked like he was making good decisions, the post practice audio where HCSF said AM's decision making needs to improved occurred when he was prompted to comment on AM specifically, he was not given the opportunity to say as much as TG
I'm not trying to argue what HCSF should or should not do. I trust him to make the right decision and if AM is not there with decision making and accuracy, then TG may very well be the right decision. I am saying that Martinez winning this job is a better* sign for this offense, and I will be (to a degree) more excited about a Martinez start than a Gebbia start
I’ll just caution that there is more that goes into playing than athleticism. Way more. Gebbia could be the best gamer to come along in years. No one knows yet. Caution my man. Caution.

I’ll just caution that there is more that goes into playing than athleticism. Way more. Gebbia could be the best gamer to come along in years. No one knows yet. Caution my man. Caution.

Then I'll eat a crow and lead the parade for TG.
As a matter of possibility, you're right. It is on the level of probability where I make my case. But regardless, when the lights come on at Michigan I'll be yelling for the huskers, not for this or that QB

I have only seen one practice...the spring game. AM completed 77% of his passes and TG completed 70%. I did not see TG show a higher level of accuracy than AM. As far as decision making, I did not see AM make any bad decisions in the spring game. The only thing I remember was AM deciding to run for 3 TDs and then deciding to pass for a 4th.
People who have seen more than one disagree with you. *** and DB have seen multiple practices. Both say that from what they have seen so far. TG is the day one starter. They also both say that AM has a higher ceiling. The key according to both is decision making. TG does not make mistakes. Neither said this directly but both alluded to the fact that although AM makes some unbelievable plays. He makes more mistakes. Both have said that TG will not lose any games. Meaning he will not be the cause of the loss. "Right now" Amart is sounding a lot like Tmart. He is going to win some games he should not with spectacular plays. He may also lose some games he should not because of mistakes. What the team needs now is stability. Until they are back on track. Down the road as AMart gets to be more stable he may well surpass TGebs.

An incomplete pass is not always mistake. It is often the better part of valor. So the 77-70 number using one game is pretty irrelevant. If you want to use stats why not look at who completed more passes? Who threw for more TDs? Both of those numbers fall to Gebbia. Figures lie and liars figure. Especially when it only involves on games (Really 1/2 of a game) worth of stats. The numbers I quoted are every bit as relevant to the discussion as completion percentage.

Scott Frost says it is about making the right decision. https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_fb1c942a-86e6-56b7-9000-72fdb2700ad7.html

Nothing is more important for his offense, Frost said, than the ability to quickly process information before and after the snap. Frost’s scheme — a fusion of old-school Nebraska and new-wave Oregon — relies on multiple-option package plays that require a quarterback to read the defense after the snap and mentally toggle among a variety of choices, including run or pass.

“He has to be one step ahead of what’s going on on the field and make plays,” Frost said. “I’ve seen a lot of talented quarterbacks in this scheme that couldn’t do it because their wheels just didn’t turn fast enough. I think we’ve got a group of guys in that room that are quick thinkers and can process information fast and make the decisions we need them to make.”
These are Scott's words. he will decide based on who makes the best decisions. Not who makes the flashier plays or completes the most passes.

Premises
  • Athleticism and explosiveness at QB is a big factor in the HCSF offense
Conclusiin
Your conclusion is a failed one. Those traits A factor. Not the only factor. So much more will go into the decision. The guy could have deshawn Watson physical skills but turn the ball over at an alarming rate...ir he could not grasp the playbook...or whatever.

Not saying those are issues with Martinez. I have no idea...none of us do. But this assumption that frost and co are going to pick the qb based on a 40 time or any other singular trait is mistaken.

Your conclusion is a failed one. Those traits A factor. Not the only factor. So much more will go into the decision. The guy could have deshawn Watson physical skills but turn the ball over at an alarming rate...ir he could not grasp the playbook...or whatever.

Not saying those are issues with Martinez. I have no idea...none of us do. But this assumption that frost and co are going to pick the qb based on a 40 time or any other singular trait is mistaken.

You badly misread my conclusion. You're arguing against a strawman

It just appears you are dismissing Gebbia because Martinez has presumably better athleticism. That’s just one small piece of many pieces to the puzzle. If everything was based on just sheer athleticism, then we may as well cancel the season and go straight to the CFP. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and pick. So much more goes into winning.

Gebbia will not be able to make it through games if he takes hits. AM might start after Michigan
Baloney! How do you know that Gebbia will not make it through games if he takes hits? I'd say he is just as likely as any QB to make it through games, hit-wise. Milton didn't really run all that much at UCF...He scrambled some and made some nice runs, but I wouldn't say he has a much bigger build than Gebbia. If he was able to play the entire season at UCF, then I think Gebbia or any other QB could at Nebraska.

Last edited:
No, I am not. A mistake prone super athletic qb does not necessarily mean potent offense. Additionally, a qb that does everything right BUT isnt a threat to go 80 yds on a run doesnt mean an offense...especially this one...wont be lethal.

Last edited:

Baloney! How do you know that Gebbia will not make it through games if he takes hits? I'd say he is just as likely as any QB to make it through games, hit-wise. Milton didn't really run all that much at UCF...He scrambled some and made some nice runs, but I wouldn't say he has a much bigger build than Gebbia. If he was able to play the entire season at UCF, then I think Gebbia or any other QB could at Nebraska.

True, Milton is not a big guy.

Though he does run quite a bit. 613 yards rushing and 8 rushing TDs last season.

No, I am not. A mistake prone super athletic qb does not necessarily mean potent offense. Additionally, a qb that does everything right BUT isnt a threat to go 80 TDs on a run doesnt mean an offense...especially this one...wont be lethal.
yep - you are. increased QB athleticism makes this offense more potent.

you've successfully vanquished an argument of your own invention -

This is truly silly season. Here's what everyone agrees on from what I can tell:

1. Adrian Martinez is a gifted athlete and great quarterback
2. Tristan Gebbia is a great quarterback who doesn't make many mistakes
3. Adrian Martinez has a higher potential than Tristan Gebbia in this offense
4. Tristan Gebbia has a slighter build than Adrian Martinez
5. This is gonna be great.

From all of this, I don't think you can draw a conclusion. Maybe how well the defense is playing will determine the starting quarterback: if you have a good defense, you need to take fewer chances on offense. So listen to Chinander for who the starting QB will be. :p

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back