• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** Fall Practice Primer

OK on the QB thing since I kind of thought that might be the case based on some of SF's recent comments. But I don't think he is settling for TG if that happens - I think SF will be pleased to find someone that good in his first year here. Gebbia would not be a placeholder. Usually, the team recognizes who should start by the week before the season begins. I suspect they will this year too.

But the ability of the OL to push back the DL kind of bothers me. All I can think of is the Wisconsin OL

You have to remember, you saw the "finished product", a QB with a full two years in Scott's system.

Comparing that to QB's with a whole spring practice and beginning fall camp of experience is really unfair.

Until you have the confidence to make those decisions on the fly you will be "slow", unable to fully express your athleticism as a QB.

Gebbia, Martinez and Bunch, don't forget about Bunch will look faster by November :).

Bunch is not in the conversation for starting qb right now

Bunch is not in the conversation for starting qb right now

But he will be by the end of October.

I say this because of several things:

Gebbia is not a big guy. His ability to take a Big Ten pounding game in and out is unknown. Its a long season.

Martinez is coming off a shoulder injury his senior year. People were surprised he could participate in the spring the way he did. Will he hold up for 13 games?

I liken this to 1969 and Tagge and Brownson: two talented QB's with young bodies. They were in and out of the lineup throughout the 10 game (only 10!) season due to nicks and bumps similar to what we will likely see with the longer season in 2018.

1994 is another example of the need to mention Bunch now because I believe we will see him start this season.

Despite our much improved S&C and nutrition, we have very young bodies at QB: they will struggle to physically complete a 13 game season in a motion offense.

Thanks ***.
Your opinion on the OL somewhat caught me off guard as it seemed to be an early position of concern. DL seems to have talent and if OL is pushing them around that can only be a good sign. Hope we can get some backups ready at OT though. Also a bit surprised about the secondary as many have stated it looked to be a position of strength.
I can't figure out if the pace is helping our OL, our guys are that dominant, or the defense is struggling with the pace. I think Frost is a really good play caller, so that helps too.

OK on the QB thing since I kind of thought that might be the case based on some of SF's recent comments. But I don't think he is settling for TG if that happens - I think SF will be pleased to find someone that good in his first year here. Gebbia would not be a placeholder. Usually, the team recognizes who should start by the week before the season begins. I suspect they will this year too.

But the ability of the OL to push back the DL kind of bothers me. All I can think of is the Wisconsin OL
So here is the deal, I mentioned I didn't have the film, I couldn't tell if we were getting creased (which would be a run fit issue defensively) or if the OL was getting a push. All I knew is our LBs were making a ton of tackles but it was a few yards down field.

As always, if I would have went to another practice, I may have seen the defense dominate. Hard for me to believe our staff was "wrong" about how good our DL is. Maybe Austin is coaching OL up. Maybe I just caught them on a bad day.

I agree with Supergent. I think all three QBs will play this year, and each will probably start. Now maybe the OL has improved a lot, and maybe they can hold off some of those very good conference DLs, but its a lot of games, especially when there will probably be a few times when one of our QBs turns to hand to a running back who has gone out on a route. That happens with young QBs and new systems, especially in up tempo games.

I see a lot of similarities between Tommie Frazier and Adrian Martinez. Gebbia may be the starter September 1st but I wouldn't be surprised if Martinez is the starter come November. I'll never forget TF's first start. It was against Misery in late October. I was making a barbwire gate on the ranch as I listened to the game on the pickup truck radio. Every time I open that gate I remember that day. It was the start of an amazing run.

Last edited:

Oh, I think it is a 2 man race at QB. I can see Gebbia starting for all the reason's that *** states. My ultimate scenario in my head is Gebbia starting vs. Akron playing great and having AM finish the game coming into the game after the first series of the second half. He also plays great. After that who knows. I think TG will surprise a lot with his toughness. I don't think it is a given that he automatically gets hurt just because he is a little slender. No one ever accused Tommie Frazier or Tommy Armstrong of being skinny, but they sure got hurt enough. Eric Crouch wasn't a big guy but he was tough and rarely was hurt after his Freshman year.

As *** says I think it is hard to get a read when you have only watched 1 practice. It sounds like the defense had a tougher day of it when he was there, but you never know. It may have been a bad day. The defensive coaches seem to be pleased with the progress. I don't think they would blow smoke up are arses. They seemed pleased with the DB progress.

I am glad to hear the O-line is looking better. They just need to be better than last year and continue to get better.

Oh, I think it is a 2 man race at QB. I can see Gebbia starting for all the reason's that *** states. My ultimate scenario in my head is Gebbia starting vs. Akron playing great and having AM finish the game coming into the game after the first series of the second half. He also plays great. After that who knows. I think TG will surprise a lot with his toughness. I don't think it is a given that he automatically gets hurt just because he is a little slender. No one ever accused Tommie Frazier or Tommy Armstrong of being skinny, but they sure got hurt enough. Eric Crouch wasn't a big guy but he was tough and rarely was hurt after his Freshman year.

As *** says I think it is hard to get a read when you have only watched 1 practice. It sounds like the defense had a tougher day of it when he was there, but you never know. It may have been a bad day. The defensive coaches seem to be pleased with the progress. I don't think they would blow smoke up are arses. They seemed pleased with the DB progress.

I am glad to hear the O-line is looking better. They just need to be better than last year and continue to get better.

Both Gebbia and Martinez are "freshman" in having young bodies and few hits at the FBS level, that's my point.

And its NOT about being tough, its about 13 games, a bunch of physical practices, fall and winter weather in the midwest, 85 scholarships, and an offense that asks the QB to be involved in every play. You are asking young bodies to withstand a tremendous amount of punishment from much more developed Big Ten defenders.

Kids evolve a lot physically from 18-19 to 22 especially now that we have returned to Husker Power development and nutrition.

I can't figure out if the pace is helping our OL, our guys are that dominant, or the defense is struggling with the pace. I think Frost is a really good play caller, so that helps too.

First ***, thanks as always for the wonderfully put together discussion of the Big Red.

I high lighted your response because the answer is "yes" all of the above.

I think UCF showed the last three years that "I cant figure it out" will be the mantra" the of the defensive coordinators on our schedule in 2018. I am quite serious about that. Scott himself said "if your are going to get us, get us now...".

It's all about not knowing what Scott is going to do, the speed the Big Ten has never seen before and an OL that is being taught to use their inherent skills and new found strength and endurance.

I really think that this year we will only stop ourselves as the kids learn what they are supposed to do.

We already have some scary talent on Offense so that when it clicks, its going to be scary good THIS YEAR no matter who we are playing OSU included, mark my words.

Now the question is can we find enough playmakers, and swagger on defense to create enough turnovers to win our division?

The mental health of this team will be fragile initially due to what has come before, but if Scott and his staff can get them on a roll believing that they have the "right stuff", I see 1969 coming again.

Honey, my Red Cool aide is running low, will you make up some more please :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Would be nice to see the playcalling help out the o-line this year. Scheme and playcalling has been horrendous for a few years now. Pretty much back to Callahan years

Would be nice to see the playcalling help out the o-line this year. Scheme and playcalling has been horrendous for a few years now. Pretty much back to Callahan years
I think the play calling the previous couple of years actually makes Callahan look good..... DL was as bad as it gets IMO. He cost us more then several games with his asinine terrible play calling. Time and again put TA and DL in terrible situations with his play calling..........

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back