• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fall Practice (8/9/19) Scott Frost Post Practice Presser

Don't know if anyone posted this somewhere else. This dude has us losing to Illinois and Maryland.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-predicting-biggest-upsets-2019
I think that this guy's logic and rationale are very sound. He's looking at lower-ranked teams that pose match-up problems, and he's putting a lot of weight on home versus away games, and on trap games that follow or precede a more hyped matchup. I like his picks, actually. The three that to me seem the most outlandish are 1) Wisconsin beating Michigan, 2) Penn State beating Michigan, and 3) Northwestern over Ohio State. Nebraska losing to Maryland or Illinois would be the next most unlikely upset, in my opinion.

Illinois makes me nervous. It's a trap game, it's away, and it's against a young team with a decent amount of talent that persistently under-performs. I wouldn't bet on Illinois to win, but it sincerely concerns me. Fans look at teams on paper and generally assume that we'll just win the games that we're favored to win, but in the real world--besides the great unknowns of injuries and roster improvements--it's usually a combination of a lack of focus and turnovers that lead to upsets. We'll have just recently played Colorado--whom I think we'll beat--and we'll be about to play Ohio State, who will seem beatable: that makes for a very dangerous position to get your players and coaches to stay focused on a perennial cellar dweller first.

Maryland is also a concern, and (again) we're playing there before a big game (Iowa), but this one also follows another big game (Wisconsin). It is incredibly difficult to retain focus on games after a big win and/or before an expected big game. Maryland should have beat Ohio State last year. Until our defense shows otherwise, any team with a NFL-caliber RB and run-based offense is going to be our most difficult opponent. I'm hoping that Maryland's lack of depth and defensive questions will prevent this upset from ever happening, but it's not crazy to say that it might.

I think that this guy's logic and rationale are very sound. He's looking at lower-ranked teams that pose match-up problems, and he's putting a lot of weight on home versus away games, and on trap games that follow or precede a more hyped matchup. I like his picks, actually. The three that to me seem the most outlandish are 1) Wisconsin beating Michigan, 2) Penn State beating Michigan, and 3) Northwestern over Ohio State. Nebraska losing to Maryland or Illinois would be the next most unlikely upset, in my opinion.

Illinois makes me nervous. It's a trap game, it's away, and it's against a young team with a decent amount of talent that persistently under-performs. I wouldn't bet on Illinois to win, but it sincerely concerns me. Fans look at teams on paper and generally assume that we'll just win the games that we're favored to win, but in the real world--besides the great unknowns of injuries and roster improvements--it's usually a combination of a lack of focus and turnovers that lead to upsets. We'll have just recently played Colorado--whom I think we'll beat--and we'll be about to play Ohio State, who will seem beatable: that makes for a very dangerous position to get your players and coaches to stay focused on a perennial cellar dweller first.

Maryland is also a concern, and (again) we're playing there before a big game (Iowa), but this one also follows another big game (Wisconsin). It is incredibly difficult to retain focus on games after a big win and/or before an expected big game. Maryland should have beat Ohio State last year. Until our defense shows otherwise, any team with a NFL-caliber RB and run-based offense is going to be our most difficult opponent. I'm hoping that Maryland's lack of depth and defensive questions will prevent this upset from ever happening, but it's not crazy to say that it might.

I agree with you to an extent on Illinois, but Maryland is going to be go awful and they have already lost their best WR. Locksley is a really bad coach and I expect a beat down here. It is going to be rough for Maryland this year.

I agree with you to an extent on Illinois, but Maryland is going to be go awful and they have already lost their best WR. Locksley is a really bad coach and I expect a beat down here. It is going to be rough for Maryland this year.
What makes you say that? Certainly not being reported in this area.

He was god awful at New Mexico and when at Bama there was a lot of chatter about how he wasn't really liked and his coaching was covered up by the machine that is Alabama. My uncle a booster for Bama and has let me know all of this. New Mexico, I may give him a pass as it would be tough for anyone to win but he had zero success. We will see how he does, but so far his coaching record, imo, isn't stellar.

He was god awful at New Mexico and when at Bama there was a lot of chatter about how he wasn't really liked and his coaching was covered up by the machine that is Alabama. My uncle a booster for Bama and has let me know all of this. New Mexico, I may give him a pass as it would be tough for anyone to win but he had zero success. We will see how he does, but so far his coaching record, imo, isn't stellar.
Thanks for the explanation. I will be honest. I knew little to nothing about him.

I don't know that much about him either, but he walked into a pretty good situation. They have some NFL-caliber talent, but they don't have enough depth around it. I thought that Canada did a pretty good job with them last year, all things considered, so it's possible that they are taking a step back, coaching wise. We'll see. I just don't want to overlook an away game at a team that is notoriously unpredictable and who has an NFL RB.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back