• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fake slide...

I agree with the many comments stating that it should have been whistled dead. I can see missing the call in the heat of the moment, but that's one I'd be ok with a review and overturn on.

It was cute the first time Pickett, just don't be surprised if you get your helmet knocked off later.

Agree and when are they going to outlaw pushing??? Should be a penalty to push the runner from behind. Maddening !!
This one pisses me off more than most. Someone will get hurt with the big scrum of offensive linemen pushing from behind. It’s just a dumb rule.
You know, I would be interested in when and where the no pushing rule came into being.

Some of the pushing I saw in recent games was beyond questionable.

I think it almost might be analogous to the flying wedge with the difference being putting the RB at the front of the wedge. Someone is going to get badly hurt.

The original crisis for College Football (only College back then) was in 1905 when under pressure from Teddy Roosevelt they outlawed many practices and instituted the forward pass to reduce the Rugby like scrum aspect. The Flying Wedge was so bad that it was outlawed over ten years earlier, in 1894.

Although originally permitted in most full contact team sports, the use of the flying wedge is now banned for safety reasons in rugby union,[14] rugby league,[15] and American football.[16] The principle is similar to the military application: the ball carrier starts an attack and is joined on both sides by teammates who drive them forward towards the goal line. However due to the number of deaths and serious injuries related to the flying wedge, any attempt at this formation is now punished by in-game penalties.

In American football, the formation was developed by Lorin F. Deland and first introduced by Harvard in a collegiate game against Yale in 1892. Teammates would lock themselves together with the ball carrier using their hands and arms and rush forward. But despite its practicality, it was outlawed two seasons later in 1894 because of its contribution to serious injury.[17] The penalty against assisting the runner, which forbids the locking together of players as well as pushing and pulling the ball carrier to increase force in the same manner as the historic flying wedge, remains in the American football rule books; its eradication has been so complete that the foul has not been called in the National Football League since 1991.[18] The concept of wedge-shaped formations continued to influence several football plays in the modern game, particularly on kickoff returns, until 2009 when NFL league owners agreed to stop its use.[16] Recent changes in the rules at various levels regarding runbacks of free kicks are stricter still in that they restrict blocking by teammates close together even without touching each other. The "wedge" commonly referred to in interference on free kick returns simply meant such a close group of blockers.[19] Wedge blocking using only the shoulders to push forward teammates not holding the ball is still legal. Professional and Canadian football went still farther in theoretically not allowing any transfer of momentum between teammates in blocking but that prohibition is not strictly enforced.

Last edited:
You know, I would be interested in when and where the no pushing rule came into being.

Some of the pushing I saw in recent games was beyond questionable.

I think it almost might be analogous to the flying wedge with the difference being putting the RB at the front of the wedge. Someone is going to get badly hurt.

The original crisis for College Football (only College back then) was in 1905 when under pressure from Teddy Roosevelt they outlawed many practices and instituted the forward pass to reduce the Rugby like scrum aspect. The Flying Wedge was so bad that it was outlawed over ten years earlier, in 1894.

Pushing the pile forward used to NOT be allowed, which is why the "Bush Push" (Matt Leinart pushing Reggie Bush into the end zone to beat Notre Dame) in 2005 was so controversial. The rule was changed in 2013 to allow for teams to push ball carriers forward.

Pushing the pile forward used to NOT be allowed, which is why the "Bush Push" (Matt Leinart pushing Reggie Bush into the end zone to beat Notre Dame) in 2005 was so controversial. The rule was changed in 2013 to allow for teams to push ball carriers forward.
That was my point. The link established that the no pushing rule came out of the ban of The Flying Wedge formation in 1894. The forward pass was not made part of the game until 1905. One of the games I saw (Baylor OSU?) the FB & RB basically followed the QB and very aggressively pushed from behind. What I saw pretty much convinced me someone, maybe even the QB in this case is going to get badly hurt. Also the Defensive players were impacted in a way that was not normal. Go back and read links on Flying Wedge and 1905 rule changes.

Yep

Not a fan of the rugby scrum and don't believe it enhances the game. Actually seems to be counter to so many other rules one of which regulate jumping over blockers and lifting up defenders on field goals. I'm not a fan of all the wild punching and swinging by defenders trying to knock the ball out of ball carriers hands. Started with the NFL and now popular at the college level. It's always possible to punch the ball out with enough sudden force no matter how tightly a ball carrier grips it. Heck they now prevent ball carriers from going down while others attempt to rip the ball lose. Seems more like rugby then football to me.

If we're going to give QBs special treatment, then this has to be addressed. That right there was obvious he was going to slide. Simple, plays over right there. Defenders can't be asked to make that kind of split second kind of judgement where the risk of a 15 yard penalty is the consequence.
The way the rules stand today, Pickett should have received a 15yd penalty from where the slide would have began

We have fake field goals, fake punts,

yet here we are worried about fake slides

hmmm

Just watched the video. Gotta say without Pickett admitting to the fake a good argument could be made it was just a weird juke move. Now the NCAA has made the rule that you cant fake slide so no more fun there.

We have fake field goals, fake punts,

yet here we are worried about fake slides

hmmm
Can you imagine how long the "review" would take if a DB blasts a QB who kinda/sorta looked like he might fake a slide after a 20 yard gallop? Fox would turn Mike Pereira into a movie star. Dude would be talking for half an hour while the refs couldn’t make up their minds. :Biggrin:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back