• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fair Catches On Punt Returns

We didn’t make Michigan State pay for its deliberately-low, rocket boots that outkicked its coverage. Certainly we could have put someone back there that was a threat to run with the ball. It looked like we were just trying to block a punt. Also I shake my head when a punt is fair caught inside the 10 yard line.

Kemp was hurt, but our best set of hands to field a punt. He had no intention of returning anything.

On the fair catches inside the 10, there is a time for it, and it's not every punt. Not sure what was going on there.

This is an area this has not been much progress in. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Halfway thru the season and don’t understand when to let a punt go inside the 10 yard line?

I think it is Painico all over again. I am not impressed with Kemps's ability to return.

We didn’t make Michigan State pay for its deliberately-low, rocket boots that outkicked its coverage. Certainly we could have put someone back there that was a threat to run with the ball. It looked like we were just trying to block a punt. Also I shake my head when a punt is fair caught inside the 10 yard line.
I get putting someone sure handed back there, especially after the muff the week prior. I agree, though, at a certain point, we have to have a threat to return. I also didn't like the fair catch at the 6. Make them make a play to keep it out of the endzone.

This is an area this has not been much progress in. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Halfway thru the season and don’t understand when to let a punt go inside the 10 yard line?
We had a big kickoff return early in the year (against Minnesota or CU?). I think some of the lack of aggressiveness has been due to attrition. Some of our more explosive players are hurt or if they aren't are being stretched thin in other areas. I think we've also seen a lot of unreturnable kickoffs.

Rhule has been consistent in wanting big returns. IIRC he said they'll never/rarely fair catch it. I don't understand the Kemp fair catch thing at all. Was that "hey, we can't fix it in a week and we had 2 turnovers on kicks the week prior so we're being safe"? approach. Bad message to send to MSU. Dude could punt it without fear of direction, hang time, etc...

And those catches at the 6 or so yard line...ugh.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back