• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Expectations

Come on guys. Face facts. We’ve won four games since beating Northwestern in October 2021. Rhule can build a team but it takes time. He has historically won 2-3 games in year 1 - in inferior conferences. We are a bad team now but we’ll get there. Won’t be as soon as we want but we’ll get there. We’ll get there. Go big red.
The Big 12, was not inferior to the BIG. A few good teams, and a bunch of middling teams, in both conferences.

Come on guys. Face facts. We’ve won four games since beating Northwestern in October 2021. Rhule can build a team but it takes time. He has historically won 2-3 games in year 1 - in inferior conferences. We are a bad team now but we’ll get there. Won’t be as soon as we want but we’ll get there. We’ll get there. Go big red.
They blew this game, that wierdo coach for Minnesota punked.MR and his staff.

Boy I tell ya, you can certainly tell who has a shortage of brain matter with some of the posts I’ve read since the game got over. WOW

They held Minny to 55 yards rushing. They had to throw 44 times to get 196 yards. Minny averaged 3.5 yards per play. Time of possession was nearly even. The QB ran 19 times and THE RBs RAN 17 TIMES COMBINED. This was bad coaching all around. What happened to the battering ram Ervin to wear out defenses in the 4th quarter. Commentators said WRs could not get separation. They lost to a team with far less talent and far better coaching. Three more million dollars a year for this Frostian mess! I am too gut punched. I will not watch a full game the rest of the season.

I wouldn’t overreact too much to this game. It was the first game of the season, first game for a new staff, and it was a road conference game against a team coming off a 9 win season that’s expected to contend in the division. We also had them essentially beat, even with all the turnovers.

This team was always going struggle. We aren’t all that talented and the experienced players on this team had crap coaching for years and are conditioned to lose.

I really didn’t expect todays game to be close. I almost bet on Michigan and I never bet. We are just getting started with a new staff and have many key players injured. Today was…well an experience for our players. Now they know what a really great team looks like. A team that has tremendous resources and years of development under the same coach. It’ll be a while before we can play with big dogs like this. In the meantime, it’s still very plausible that we could win 4 more games and go to a bowl. I could even see win #6 being Iowa…wouldn’t that be fun!

I really didn’t expect todays game to be close. I almost bet on Michigan and I never bet. We are just getting started with a new staff and have many key players injured. Today was…well an experience for our players. Now they know what a really great team looks like. A team that has tremendous resources and years of development under the same coach. It’ll be a while before we can play with big dogs like this. In the meantime, it’s still very plausible that we could win 4 more games and go to a bowl. I could even see win #6 being Iowa…wouldn’t that be fun!
Honestly, I think the way HH played today he can win most of the remaining games, no one else comes close to being as being as good as UM.

You’d think a bad first year Rhule what have learned by now what it takes not to suck in year one, 2
One of the things he does in year 1 is play young more talented players in year 1 to get experience. He accepts more losses in year 1 in exchange for more wins later.

That's just a known way to build teams. It's not a matter of Rhule not learning how to not suck in year 1.

Deion may have found a way to accelerate that by going ultra max on the portal, which also took advantage of him having more charisma and naturally being a better recruiter, and also hiring more experienced assistants.

Rhule went heavy on the portal but not like Deion. He wasn't built to do that, it's not in his nature and Trev wouldn't have hired him if he'd wanted to. Rhule is more of a culture builder.

It's another way to successfully turn a program around. It can work too. It will take longer than Deion's way.

Going forward, assuming Deion continues to do well, which I think he will, more and more schools will try to do it his way. But Rhule couldn't have known this was going to happen, so that's not on him.

(By the way, I think Deion's way sucks for college football. It just becomes more like pro in a way and less about college and less about the players. But I know my opinion isn't going to stop it. And I don't blame Deion - it's bigger than him.)

At the end of the season, Rhule, and Trev, will have a decision to make about how agressively to push out lower performing players to make more room for new transfers in. They won't be able to go full Deion because 1st year coaches are allowed to do more. But they can still do a lot, depending on how unpleasant they want to make it for the low performers. From the players being told they should leave perspective, it will be a question of do you want to stay in a place where you are publicly not wanted.

I expect Deion and many other even established coaches to push more players out the door at the end of this season than ever before. I don't know what Rhule and Trev will decide to do. The pressure to do the max in order to improve quickly will be great.

Last edited:

One of the things he does in year 1 is play young more talented players in year 1 to get experience. He accepts more losses in year 1 in exchange for more wins later.

That's just a known way to build teams. It's not a matter of Rhule not learning how to not suck in year 1.

Deion may have found a way to accelerate that by going ultra max on the portal, which also took advantage of him having more charisma and naturally being a better recruiter, and also hiring more experienced assistants.

Rhule went heavy on the portal but not like Deion. He wasn't built to do that, it's not in his nature and Trev wouldn't have hired him if he'd wanted to. Rhule is more of a culture builder.

It's another way to successfully turn a program around. It can work too. It will take longer than Deion's way.

Going forward, assuming Deion continues to do well, which I think he will, more and more schools will try to do it his way. But Rhule couldn't have known this was going to happen, so that's not on him.

(By the way, I think Deion's way sucks for college football. It just becomes more like pro in a way and less about college and less about the players. But I know my opinion isn't going to stop it. And I don't blame Deion - it's bigger than him.)

At the end of the season, Rhule, and Trev, will have a decision to make about how agressively to push out lower performing players to make more room for new transfers in. They won't be able to go full Deion because 1st year coaches are allowed to do more. But they can still do a lot, depending on how unpleasant they want to make it for the low performers. From the players being told they should leave perspective, it will be a question of do you want to stay in a place where you are publicly not wanted.

I expect Deion and many other even established coaches to push more players out the door at the end of this season than ever before. I don't know what Rhule and qB situation Trev will decide to do. The pressure to do the max in order to improve quickly will be great.
Well I didn’t say anything about Deion. But I look at our QB situation. Brought in sims. And Sims was never that good hell he had a career star of a iNt for every one TD. So I question his evaluation of players

Look at the Other QB HH and his shallow throws. The offense … that was this game it’s every game with zero improvement

List goes on.

We're having a bad night?

Think about the folks who ponied up the Benjamins for that new football facility.

And we still can't get a serviceable QB, receivers or O lines.

LOL.
Yep, heard the TV crew covering the game today saying that Harbaugh finally got his QB.

Hope to hell it doesn't require Rule that long to find his guy.

Yep, heard the TV crew covering the game today saying that Harbaugh finally got his QB.

Hope to hell it doesn't require Rule that long to find his guy.
This is Harbaugh's 9th year at Michigan. He now has a potentially national championship winning quality QB finally. Harbaugh first won the conference in his seventh year. It took him a long time just to get past Ohio State. Actually a lot like it took Tom Osborne.

And you think the standard for Rhule should be faster than that? That's pretty tough.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back