• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Expectations for the Next Coach

Huskerwirejay

All American
15 Year Member
[I don't mean for this post to be an attack at anyone here on the board. It is just a general observation and not directed at any 1-3 posters here.]

In talking with friends and relatives in Lincoln, Omaha, SE Nebraska and in the KC area, I hear 2 completely different sets of names mentioned as possible replacements for Doc.

In general, fans that are in Omaha seem to suggest that NU will hire either a coach with Creighton ties or a coach from another mid-major team. I have observed that they don't think NU can hire a coach that is any more exciting than what Creighton could hire. (And let's be fair to Creighton, right now, NU fans would love to be as successful as Creighton.)

People not in Omaha seem to be aiming a bit higher when they suggest who the next coach should be.

I conclude that NU fans that are not in Omaha seem to believe (right or wrong) that NU is a better job with more $ and more upside (major conference, new buildings, no where to go but up). Fans in Omaha, who often have divided loyalties, seem to think NU would be lucky if they could hire a coach with more of a mid-major grade resume (no tradition, dead end job, lack of fan interest, third fiddle at best.)

I don't know who will be right.

Last edited:

Define "aiming higher" or "name coach".

Regardless of whether NU would be interested in their coach name a program in a power conference that would be in danger or losing a coach to Nebraska if TO came calling....other than a South Florida or Depaul from the big east.

Last edited:
For me a "name coach" would be a well known name amongst the coaching fraternity. A young energetic assistant or mm coach that is well recognized amongst his peers as an up and comer and hell of a recruiter.

Last edited:
Well, it could be that people outside of Omaha have no reason to follow Creighton closely, so that program isn't on their minds, and those in Omaha realize that all it takes is a 7th place finish in the B1G to be relevant on a national level (make the NCAA's), and believe there are lots of guys at the mid-major level capable of meeting those expectations.

MAybe that is why I am confused on what the best aproach is for the next HC. Living in Gretna between Lincoln and Omaha I can see both sides! :lol:

[I don't mean for this post to be an attack at anyone here on the board. It is just a general observation and not directed at any 1-3 posters here.]

In talking with friends and relatives in Lincoln, Omaha, SE Nebraska and in the KC area, I hear 2 completely different sets of names mentioned as possible replacements for Doc.

In general, fans that are in Omaha seem to suggest that NU will hire either a coach with Creighton ties or a coach from another mid-major team. I have observed that they don't think NU can hire a coach that is any more exciting than what Creighton could hire. (And let's be fair to Creighton, right now, NU fans would love to be as successful as Creighton.)

People not in Omaha seem to be aiming a bit higher when they suggest who the next coach should be.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back