• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked ESPN's Wojciechoski picks Nebraska to....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saw that article too . . . I don't see the time zone thing being too much of an issue. And honestly, the Burkhead injury cuts both ways I would think. SURE we may not have a leader and one of the best backs in the nation. But we have what seems to be a pretty solid trio of backups and tons of other weapons. And UCLA has spent a lot of time gameplanning for Burkhead and what we'd run with him. Now they have seen us on film spreading it around and frankly don't know what to expect. So I guess we'll see. I think we handle UCLA.

Not surprised by the pick. He's got to pick an upset as part of his weekly column, and the NU/UCLA game will be a trendy "upset" pick, I'm sure. And was he picking an outright upset, or that NU wouldn't cover the spread? Since he mentioned Vegas.

It was also a night game (crowd atmosphere definitely gave them the home field advantage), and Frost was matched against Jake Plummer (who was a senior and arguably at the height of his football talent that year).

Good point, and it wasn't just Jake Plummer either. That ASU team ended up one play from the national championship. 8 players were drafted in the NFL with Plummer, Keith Poole, Derrick Rodgers, Derek Smith, and JR Redmond all having long pro careers.

gene woj. has some points about us traveling 2 time zones, and ucla gets 2 extra days to prepare, and they do make a difference. but im also sure that ucla was not preparing for nebr to pass for 5 tds either, now they have to prepare entirely different than they had thought, im sure the LB and safteys will be 1 step further back from the line of scrimmage, that will only help the run game. If NU wants to prepare hard this week, they will win. If they want to fall into the trap of the last few years, (one good game, one bad game), then it will be interesting. I am thinking that ucla will put up some points and yards this weekend, 20-27 points and 380 yards, but that wont be enuf to beat NU, unless we go -2 or -3 in turnovers

Good point, and it wasn't just Jake Plummer either. That ASU team ended up one play from the national championship. 8 players were drafted in the NFL with Plummer, Keith Poole, Derrick Rodgers, Derek Smith, and JR Redmond all having long pro careers.

Right -- I don't think UCLA is going to go 11-1 and win the Pac 10. This UCLA team isn't close to as good as ASU was in 1996.

Of course, we might not be as good as NU 1996 was either...that "disastrous" year we lost a total of one other game, and finished the season by beating 10-2 VTech in the Orange Bowl by 20.

On balance I think NU wins by nine. Solid win. Burkhead out is a blessing in a way...we can win these games without him and we'll keep him fresh for the conference slate.

Right -- I don't think UCLA is going to go 11-1 and win the Pac 10. This UCLA team isn't close to as good as ASU was in 1996.

Of course, we might not be as good as NU 1996 was either...that "disastrous" year we lost a total of one other game, and finished the season by beating 10-2 VTech in the Orange Bowl by 20.

On balance I think NU wins by nine. Solid win. Burkhead out is a blessing in a way...we can win these games without him and we'll keep him fresh for the conference slate.

Very true. In retrospect, those were probably 2 of the 3 best teams in the country playing in Tempe that night. 9 points sounds about right for Saturday. UCLA has athletes, and any road game against a team with speed is dangerous.

Pat Tillman
Mitchell "Night Train" Freedman

That wasn't just any ASU team. Might have been the best they've ever assembled.

Last edited:
gene woj. has some points about us traveling 2 time zones, and ucla gets 2 extra days to prepare, and they do make a difference. but im also sure that ucla was not preparing for nebr to pass for 5 tds either, now they have to prepare entirely different than they had thought, im sure the LB and safteys will be 1 step further back from the line of scrimmage, that will only help the run game. If NU wants to prepare hard this week, they will win. If they want to fall into the trap of the last few years, (one good game, one bad game), then it will be interesting. I am thinking that ucla will put up some points and yards this weekend, 20-27 points and 380 yards, but that wont be enuf to beat NU, unless we go -2 or -3 in turnovers

Good analysis! I do think this will be a tougher game than most people here at HM seem to think. Road game, UCLA out to win a "statement" type of game, good coach on the other side.

I don't think we'll see much of a drop off at RB. We have a very talented group of guys to fill in and they will stay fresh with a good rotation. Rex does a lot of important little things throughout the game and our young guys need to step up for those as well (picking up blocks being a frequently unnoticed thing).

One guy picks against Nebraska in the scoring predictions thus far...big deal....

Last edited:
No jet lag going west for an afternoon game. UCLA is better than who thinks? Ok Gene, Rex will be out, but that just means more carries for Taylor Martinez and Mike the Hammer, AA and IC and BH are already getting their touches.
Last weeks game's only surprise was the poor special teams play for the Huskers. This week we find out if that is a trend. Huskers can only lose to themselves, because UCLA isn't going to be ready for that in week two of JM era. I hope to see a focused football team actually improve for once in a week two of a season.:)

I'm going to say that with what the players have done in the off season, that we rollem hard. 52-13 Big Red.

Last edited:
Pat Tillman
Mitchell "Night Train" Freedman

That wasn't just any ASU team. Might have been the best they've ever assembled.

I totally forgot Tillman was on that team. For some reason, I was thinking he had graduated already. That means ASU had the Pac 10's best offensive and defensive players. Unreal. No wonder NU ran into a buzz saw that night.

I totally forgot Tillman was on that team. For some reason, I was thinking he had graduated already. That means ASU had the Pac 10's best offensive and defensive players. Unreal. No wonder NU ran into a buzz saw that night.

Plus they wanted revenge for the 77-28 pasting we gave them the year before, when Snyder went up to Osborne after the game and instead of shaking his hand, he accused him of running up the score (re: Turman's TD pass in the final minute).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back