• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Eric Crouch Gives Thoughts on Frost's Offense/Steve Calhoun Has Insight on POB/Gebbia (Post 51)

I think you're missing the point a little bit. I don't really care about NFL potential... you're the one that brought it up. I was just pointing out that there have been a number of successful, accurate quarterbacks that don't play in the NFL, and that plenty of players have their accuracy numbers artificially inflated based on the system.

A player completing 70% in one system isn't necessarily better than another guy completing 55% in a different system, because they're often being asked to do different things.
No, I get the point. I Just disagree that an accurate passer would vary in accuracy from 51% to 72% from one system to another. If you're an accurate passer, you're an accurate passer regardless of what you're asked to do. Many of Crouchs passes were behind or over and that doesn't mean he's accurate.

The implication of your point, extended to its conclusion, would mean that Tom Osborne didn't care if Eric Crouch was a 50% passer or a 70% passer and didn't really want all those YOLO bombs to score.

I'll also add that the offensive system, offensive line, wide receivers, relative strength of schedule, and many other factors play into it. I'll also say there will be exceptions but, as a general rule, an accurate passer is still an accurate passer.

Solich is by FAR the best coach Ohio ever had.

Better than this guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Bobcats_football
Through its football history, Ohio University has had 28 head coaches. Of these, Don Peden has the longest tenure, 21 seasons. Over that period, he compiled a record of 121 wins, 46 losses and 11 ties. To this day, his .711 winning percentage is by far the best of any Bobcats coach with more than twenty games of competition. As part of Peden's legacy, the Bobcats' present-day stadium (known as Ohio Stadium in Peden's time) now dons the name Peden Stadium.

No, I get the point. I Just disagree that an accurate passer would vary in accuracy from 51% to 72% from one system to another. If you're an accurate passer, you're an accurate passer regardless of what you're asked to do. Many of Crouchs passes were behind or over and that doesn't mean he's accurate.

I think you're absolutely wrong on this. It may not be as drastic as 51% to 72%, but it could be pretty close.

The implication of your point, extended to its conclusion, would mean that Tom Osborne didn't care if Eric Crouch was a 50% passer or a 70% passer and didn't really want all those YOLO bombs to score.
That's not the conclusion at all. Why would any coach not want to score on a play? You'd love to score a touchdown on every play, but you also understand the odds.

Do you think it's a bit strange that one of the greatest coaches in the history of college football never managed to find a single athlete that could complete 60% of his passes? Do you think that the SYSTEM had anything to do with it? Or were all of those highly recruited quarterbacks throughout the years just awful passers? Frost, Gdowski, Frazier, Gill, etc. None of them would have been capable of success in Frost's offense because they didn't complete a high enough percentage in Osborne's offense?

Do you think it's a bit strange that one of the greatest coaches in the history of college football never managed to find a single athlete that could complete 60% of his passes? Do you think that the SYSTEM had anything to do with it? Or were all of those highly recruited quarterbacks throughout the years just awful passers? Frost, Gdowski, Frazier, Gill, etc. None of them would have been capable of success in Frost's offense because they didn't complete a high enough percentage in Osborne's offense?
Who are you talking about? Brook Berringer completed over 60% of his passes in 1994. He WAS one of the rare true passers TO "recruited" post-Ferragamo.

Last edited:
Do you think that the SYSTEM had anything to do with it? Or were all of those highly recruited quarterbacks throughout the years just awful passers? Frost, Gdowski, Frazier, Gill, etc. None of them would have been capable of success in Frost's offense because they didn't complete a high enough percentage in Osborne's offense?
Do you think the system called for a 50% passer or tolerated a 50% passer?

What were Gdowski's stats? I'm on my phone or I'd look.

Just ask Tommy Armstrong why it was so hard for him to complete a screen pass, or any short pass for that matter. His YOLO bombs were easier for him because there was at least enough time for a receiver to react and run under it. Short passes are not nearly as easy, as folks here think. Nothing is raising a CFB QB's percentage from 50% to 70% unless its a statistical anomaly because of few passes thrown.

Last edited:

Better than this guy?

Through its football history, Ohio University has had 28 head coaches. Of these, Don Peden has the longest tenure, 21 seasons. Over that period, he compiled a record of 121 wins, 46 losses and 11 ties. To this day, his .711 winning percentage is by far the best of any Bobcats coach with more than twenty games of competition. As part of Peden's legacy, the Bobcats' present-day stadium (known as Ohio Stadium in Peden's time) now dons the name Peden Stadium.
:eek::Rolf:

Last edited:
Better than this guy?

/shakes tiny fist

Add qualifier "in modern era".

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back