• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

EJ Barthel on RB's.

huskerman1

Scout Team
10 Year Member
The RB coach says he wants more explosive plays from the RB's. Does this mean we do not have explosive speed in the backfield?

It's not always just the fastest dude--alhough that certainly helps. A lot of times, it's vision and feel for where the seam is . . . the ability to "plant your foot and get upfield", making a defender miss and getting to that second level and maybe taking it to the house, etc.

Ives I think might be the guy with the most pure speed? Could be way off there. But someone like Emmett Johnson is plenty fast enough but seems to have that vision/feel and gets some nice runs off it. Guess we'll see who emerges and who the coaches think can make the biggest difference.

Last edited:
It's not always just the fastest dude--alhough that certainly helps. A lot of times, it's vision and feel for where the seam is . . . the ability to "plant your foot and get upfield", making a defender miss and getting to that second level and maybe taking it to the house, etc.

Ives I think might be the guy with the most pure speed? Could be way off there. But someone like Emmett Johnson is plenty fast enough but seems to have that vision/feel and gets some nice runs off it. Guess we'll see who emerges and who the coaches think can make the biggest difference.
A perfect example of this is Ameer Abdullah. He wasn't the fastest guy, but he could make cuts at full speed, and he had a talent for finding seams and getting yards that other backs couldn't get. He was a difference-maker.

Johnson is a nice back, but I am not sure he is a difference-maker like Abdullah was. Johnson is still young though, so maybe he will develop into something special.

Anyone can run through an obvious opening, and with speed, make a long gain. The trick is to get to open field when the holes are not as obvious, and that requires a broader skillset than simple ability to hoof. A Ricky Henry doesn't need much space to break into open field where his speed kills, but then, the Henry tree don't bloom all that often.
Comes down to work getting through those first two levels, applying those other skills and talent, and that is where the growth is. Nothing I've seen from Emmet suggests he isn't capable of this role.

Anyone can run through an obvious opening, and with speed, make a long gain. The trick is to get to open field when the holes are not as obvious, and that requires a broader skillset than simple ability to hoof. A Ricky Henry doesn't need much space to break into open field where his speed kills, but then, the Henry tree don't bloom all that often.
Comes down to work getting through those first two levels, applying those other skills and talent, and that is where the growth is. Nothing I've seen from Emmet suggests he isn't capable of this role.
Just give him 10 more pounds

There were glimpses of his ability last year. He also seems like a tough kid to tackle. Another full year in a college S&C system and proper nutrition should help.

I think every RB coach can say the same thing every year in Spring ball. It’s just a generic “we need to get better” statement.

The offense is going to be improved. It’s conceivable that we’ll be at a point where the RBs are the weakest link. It’s a never ending cycle of trying to improve in your weakest areas.

I think every RB coach can say the same thing every year in Spring ball. It’s just a generic “we need to get better” statement.

The offense is going to be improved. It’s conceivable that we’ll be at a point where the RBs are the weakest link. It’s a never ending cycle of trying to improve in your weakest areas.
The other aspect of improving the run game is to play better in the passing game. As we were terrible passing last year, D's were playing proctologist with our running backs. Here's hoping that changes.

More importantly, will the Huskers commit to "A" running back who can get the job done? I know in the past there have been problems on the line and the QB's had to run for their lives on a regular basis. But it always seems when a back gets some momentum, he gets pulled and is never seen again that game. Hopefully, we get great play from the line and get introduced to a back the coaches commit to. It would be refreshing to see.

The RB coach says he wants more explosive plays from the RB's. Does this mean we do not have explosive speed in the backfield?
The answer to your question is "No".

We have a hand full of "Good" backs but we do not have game changers in the RB room, sad to say.

No one who can take a game over, put the team on their back, provide explosive plays repetitively in the Ahman Green, Mike Rozier, Lawrence Phillips, or even Roy Helu.

These are "get you first down" RBs, which hopefully will work, if the skill sets of the other players around them are improved this fall.

GBR

The answer to your question is "No".

We have a hand full of "Good" backs but we do not have game changers in the RB room, sad to say.

No one who can take a game over, put the team on their back, provide explosive plays repetitively in the Ahman Green, Mike Rozier, Lawrence Phillips, or even Roy Helu.

These are "get you first down" RBs, which hopefully will work, if the skill sets of the other players around them are improved this fall.

GBR
To be fair, people would've said the same about Ozigbo until he went off for 1K yards. I don't think we've seen enough from the RBs to cast judgements.

Rahmir Johnson

Gabe Ervin

Career14954144.4327

Emmett Johnson 90 Att 411 Yds 2TDs

Lavaman: Sorry for the poor posting skills. Here is what we have with a track record. I think my comments are accurate as to their past performance.

One can always hope their is improvement, but nothing in their past suggest that they are going from what they have done to Rozier like levels.

Rozier and his peers were ALWAYS who they were: great performers, never any doubts as to what there skill levels were.

GBR

For the past several years, our RB production has been hampered by the fact that there were often no holes to run through. Too often, the defense is in the backfield or pushing the o-line into the backfield, busting whatever play was supposed to be happening. This was partially due to our inability to stretch the field deep or get WR’s open quickly. Teams could load the box against us. Once we get a solid line and receiving corps going, then we will be able to better judge our RB room. Hopefully, we will start seeing improvement across all offensive groups starting this weekend.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back