• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Early competition

SemperHusker

Practice Squad
2 Year Member
Looks like we'll have some early competition in finding a new head coach. Arizona State is looking, appears that Georgia Tech will be too. I'd bet some of the same names will come up with AS and GT that came up in our search. Seems like bad apples are falling off the trees early this year. I don't know if those schools could compete with the Huskers as far as facilities and $$$ goes but I hope we get a HC buttoned up before more programs are in the hunt.

Looks like we'll have some early competition in finding a new head coach. Arizona State is looking, appears that Georgia Tech will be too. I'd bet some of the same names will come up with AS and GT that came up in our search. Seems like bad apples are falling off the trees early this year. I don't know if those schools could compete with the Huskers as far as facilities and $$$ goes but I hope we get a HC buttoned up before more programs are in the hunt.
You'd like to think we have a lot more to offer than those two schools. That won't remain the case as more schools move on from coaches. Most years each conference losses a couple of coaches. I suspect this year will be no different.

I think we have more rebuilding to do than either ASU or GT, but we also have much better facilities, resources, and are in one of the Top 2 Conferences, so the money will keep flowing like wine.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me if some seismic shift happens that pulls GT (along with Clemson, etc) into the SEC. I think ASU is probably aiming for the Big XII, though, which still leaves them a peg beneath the Big Ten.

FWIW, I've read that when ASU fired Herm Edwards, the university brass actually met him on the field after their game. He didn't even make it back to the locker room before they canned him. Further, it's been alleged that their assistant coaches were leaking game intel to opponents, in an effort to embarrass Edwards by making ASU lose badly.

I know we've got our fair share of mess to clean up after Frost, but fortunately most of it just appears to be lazy coaching and a lack of internal discipline. We haven't (I think?) gotten to the point where assistants were actively backstabbing a HC to try and get him fired. Sounds like ASU may be a culture dumpster right now.

At least we started looking first.
Yep. I'm probably one of the least qualified in knowing how the searches work but I suspect each school has their own set of qualifications for a coach. Unfortunately several of those qualifications might spill over from program to program. I just hope we don't get caught up in some type of bidding war. That said, not sure I'd want a coach here who's just following the money.

The really bad news here is that it is sounding like GaTech may be going after Deion. If so, that may make it much more difficult for Trev to pry him out of the south and get him to bring his talents to Lincoln.
;)

None of themi in the BiG

NU at this point has to be a serious coaches dream

Last edited:
I think we have more rebuilding to do than either ASU or GT, but we also have much better facilities, resources, and are in one of the Top 2 Conferences, so the money will keep flowing like wine.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me if some seismic shift happens that pulls GT (along with Clemson, etc) into the SEC. I think ASU is probably aiming for the Big XII, though, which still leaves them a peg beneath the Big Ten.

FWIW, I've read that when ASU fired Herm Edwards, the university brass actually met him on the field after their game. He didn't even make it back to the locker room before they canned him. Further, it's been alleged that their assistant coaches were leaking game intel to opponents, in an effort to embarrass Edwards by making ASU lose badly.

I know we've got our fair share of mess to clean up after Frost, but fortunately most of it just appears to be lazy coaching and a lack of internal discipline. We haven't (I think?) gotten to the point where assistants were actively backstabbing a HC to try and get him fired. Sounds like ASU may be a culture dumpster right now.
Geez, I thought we had problems. Of course I'm sure the sports writers there put a spin on things just like ours (and probably everybody's) do. But if those allegations are true - YIKES!!

The really bad news here is that it is sounding like GaTech may be going after Deion. If so, that may make it much more difficult for Trev to pry him out of the south and get him to bring his talents to Lincoln.
;)
WHO? LOL

Nebraska has better players, by a good margin, than both of those teams. Coaching can bring a lot out of players. Look at Kansas. Coaching, and a plan, works wonders.

There is not a school/program outside of the SEC/B1G that really concerns me about competition. ASU and GTech have their benefits but both - particularly ASU do not have a stable conference situation. Come to ASU and play in 70+ degree weather or come to NU and play in a conference that will give you a better chance at winning, more NIL $ and has more TV eyes than you'll ever see in Tempe.

AS for GTech - I think this is a very important hire ... they have a shot to be involved in the next round of conference realignment and a notable hire such as Deion would help contribute to that!

There is not a school/program outside of the SEC/B1G that really concerns me about competition. ASU and GTech have their benefits but both - particularly ASU do not have a stable conference situation. Come to ASU and play in 70+ degree weather or come to NU and play in a conference that will give you a better chance at winning, more NIL $ and has more TV eyes than you'll ever see in Tempe.

AS for GTech - I think this is a very important hire ... they have a shot to be involved in the next round of conference realignment and a notable hire such as Deion would help contribute to that!

Georgia Tech has a pretty storied football history. By strictest definition, they're not one of the 8 or 10 blue bloods, but I would put them on that next tier with schools like Clemson and LSU.

I still think the Big Ten would be smart to drop an anchor in the southeast with some combo of GT, FSU, Miami, etc. If Georgia Tech factors into that equation they could set themselves up nicely for a successful future.

They get razzed for being one of the few schools to LEAVE the SEC, although it was ages ago. Still, southerners know how to hold a grudge so I wonder if many schools would stonewall (pun intended) them from rejoining the SEC after all these years. Either way, I think the B1G would be smart to consider them as it opens up avenues to Atlanta and Northern FL for recruiting, especially if FSU came along for the ride.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back