• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked EA Sports Cancels NCAA Football Video Game Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you even understand how this stuff works?

I'd bet a significant amount of money that lawyers approached Keller and not the other way around. If there's an unseemly aspect to this case (more unseemly that the NCAA pimps) it's that the lawyers probably dreamed up the case and just needed some faces to represent the "class"....and really the lawyers are the only ones that will get rich off of this. But the good news is that EA will no longer be using the players likenesses and the BEST news is that the NCAA will profit just a little less at the end of the day off of the athletes it so willingly pimps out on a day to day basis.

Those poor poor athletes. They get a free education, access to top of the line facilities to help advance their skill level. If they get injured they get top of the line treatment and rehab. And they get to showcase their talents in front of millions of people. Sadly you may get your wish of the demise of the evil empire that is the NCAA, and one of the best amateur sports will be made semi pro or pro. But hey, as long as the poor little, abused players get the money they are due, all is well right?

Last edited:

Those poor poor athletes. They get a free education, access to top of the line facilities to help advance their skill level. If they get injured they get top of the line treatment and rehab. And they get to showcase their talents in front of millions of people. Sadly you may get your wish of the demise of the evil empire that is the NCAA, and one of the best amateur sports will be made semi pro or pro. But hey, as long as the poor little, abused players get the money they are due, all is well right?

What you're missing here is that the monied schools like Nebraska want it this way. The Big Ten tried to increase the amount of scholarship money to include the full cost of attendance. Osborne argued for the return of meal/laundry money. For the top 25, maybe even top 50, athletic programs in the country working out a deal between the athletes and the schools will be a drop in the bucket. They'll do what good businesses do, they'll figure out a way to grow the economic pie so everybody makes money, probably even more money than they made before. EA Sports had already figured out a way to make more money on the NCAA Football 14 video game by including something called Ultimate Team. Playing that mode in the game costs money beyond the original price of the game. If allowed to do so they will expand that and include every great player and coach that's ever played for a top 25 team and make tons more money.

College sports, as most of us know it, won't be impacted one bit because the monied schools have already evolved past this issue. The only reason that the NCAA is fighting it is because there are more schools with athletic programs that are money drains than there are schools with athletic programs that make money. That's why the Big Ten proposal to increase the scholarship limit died and why there are stupid NCAA rules on things like how many full color pages a school is allowed to have in their football and basketball media guides. (Yes, there really is an NCAA rule on this and it does exist because of the cost involved in full color printing, I used to work in a university sports information department.)

The landscape of college sports will only change in that the schools in the Big Ten/SEC/PAC-12/ACC/Big 12 will get to do what they already want to do.

40 mil divided by 300,000 players is only 133 bucks each.... and that's before lawyer fees.

The players will end up with less than the price of a new video game.... perhaps if EA would have just gave each athlete a voucher when they made the team, none of this would have happened. :cool:

So as a doctor, who puts himself out for individuals who abuse themselves, as a doctor who works pro bono with inmates for altruistic reasons, you assume I side with defense attorneys prior to prosecutors? What gives you the right to accuse me of that in the context of a video game thread/conversation? Are you that in need of defending or advancing the cause of student athletes and their right to various streams of revenue that you attack a physician and their perception and or experience with unjustified unwarranted and immoral litigation? I've been sued while saving someone's life...so yes, I'm bitter towards unnecessary litigation...gives you no right to attack me on that level...I side with the defense regardless of facts? What facts are you implying...you crossed the line...enough...

I rest my case.

Remark was literal. No apology needed. I see where a back and forth debate, conversation and overte expression of sentiment get you on this board...attacking you personally, attacking you professionally...I have stated the case is ridiculous, and gave my opinion as to how and why...I didn't call anyone out personally or professionally. Done with this board...truly...

Buh bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back