• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dolittle

For persons my age there is only one Doolittle and its not this one. .
Besides, he diid much...

What does it say about movie making today, that his mission gets bit roles in movies about other battles (Pearl Harbor & Midway) when it once had its own movie (Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo)?

Last edited:

The statistics weren't very good about survivors either as I recall. A few ditched in the ocean, I think one crashed in Japan, and a few made it to mainland China. I can't imagine trying to get one of those lumbering B-25s into the air off the short runways that we then had on our carriers, then flying into the heart of Japan knowing that you can't get back to the carrier.. Those were true heroes.

The statistics weren't very good about survivors either as I recall. A few ditched in the ocean, I think one crashed in Japan, and a few made it to mainland China. I can't imagine trying to get one of those lumbering B-25s into the air off the short runways that we then had on our carriers, then flying into the heart of Japan knowing that you can't get back to the carrier.. Those were true heroes.
Had just read the Wikipedia entry this morning before I had posted. The last surviving crew member (out of 80) died last January at 103. Of eight captured by Japanese, four survived and last captive died around 2015 IIRC.

Amazingly a high percentage of crew members survived and escaped capture. All planes crashed. One went to USSR where they were interred for appearances until they were allowed to “escape” to Iran. This was later done with B-29 crews who had to ditch in USSR.

They were to try to refuel in air fields in contested (maybe occupied) China for flying to safer areas in China. Most crashed in Japanese occupied China and were hid and led to safety. The Japanese took revenge on large numbers of Chinese as a result. They had to take off ~200 miles too early due to being spotted by a Japanese patrol boat and fear a warning was radioed before they could sink it.

Last edited:
I knew a guy that flew Flying Tigers in southern china in the early part of the war. These were P-40s that had a mouth painted in front with large teeth showing. They would take off from some empty field with some ammunition in the morning, then fter conducting whatever warfare they had assigned to them, would radio back to find out where they should land at the end of the day. The Zero wasn't operational in all fields yet, so they were dominant, but the logistics were adventerous to say the least. Listening to him talk (he's now dead) they were a hell raising bunch, mostly Americans but some Brits. the world was different then.

Thought this was about the General, which I would have gone to no problem. But I love animals and I saw the one movie with Edie Murphy and I liked that so, I probably would have gone had it not been for Robert Downey Jr., can't stand that guy, so I guess I am back to the General. Who doesn't love a WWII movie.

Thought this was about the General, which I would have gone to no problem. But I love animals and I saw the one movie with Edie Murphy and I liked that so, I probably would have gone had it not been for Robert Downey Jr., can't stand that guy, so I guess I am back to the General. Who doesn't love a WWII movie.
Never seen the Eddie Murphy version. I saw the Rex Harrison one, which is probably why I didn’t see Murphy’s. Murphy did a great job on updates of those old Jerry Lewis and other (Fred McMurray?) flicks, just never cared enough about the other. I didn’t like DD and not sure it would work as a Murphy vehicle.

Last edited:
I've seen all three versions of Dolittle - Harrison, Murphy and Downey.

This film tries to recapture a bit of that Victorian-era adventure that the original film had, and it largely succeeds. My biggest gripe though, is that RDJ's accent is like this half-Scottish / half-whisper thing. It fades in-and-out like Dick Van Dyke's famously terrible cockney in Mary Poppins. And the whispery tone he uses is like the man is incapable of screaming or speaking about 20 decibels. Like a dog that got de-barked.

Overall the new movie is a 6/10. Your kids will like it, you'll laugh at a couple of gags and then wonder what the hell happened to a pretty solid actor who just led a mega-billions movie franchise for 10 years as Tony Stark. RDJ has great range - Tropic Thunder? - and this movie is kind of like watching Michael Jordan play baseball.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back