• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does Nebraska move away from “dirty” Adidas?

I think the new AD has to look at the brand that helps bring more quality recruits to Lincoln - when it comes to Adidas or Nike, it’s as simple as that.

I think the new AD has to look at the brand that helps bring more quality recruits to Lincoln - when it comes to Adidas or Nike, it’s as simple as that.

I think the AD needs to worry about fixing the football program which is the main issue facing the athletic department. If the football team is winning at a high level, Nebraska fans will buy plenty of shoes even if the shoe agreement is with Crocs.

c17dd26d0899b30c8fcd178e2457fd66--crocs-crocband-nebraska.jpg

I think the AD needs to worry about fixing the football program which is the main issue facing the athletic department. If the football team is winning at a high level, Nebraska fans will buy plenty of shoes even if the shoe agreement is with Crocs.

c17dd26d0899b30c8fcd178e2457fd66--crocs-crocband-nebraska.jpg
it matters much more for basketball thsn football. certain kids get reeled in by one or the other and it has a huge impact on recruiting...or used to in favir of nike schools. i remember seeing a graphic several years ago showing a disproportionate number of nike schools at the top of college basketball and the correlation to recruiting was pretty clear. obviously adidas got that memo.

it matters much more for basketball thsn football. certain kids get reeled in by one or the other and it has a huge impact on recruiting...or used to in favir of nike schools. i remember seeing a graphic several years ago showing a disproportionate number of nike schools at the top of college basketball and the correlation to recruiting was pretty clear. obviously adidas got that memo.

As we all know...Nebraska just signed an extension with Adidas so all of this speculation about changing the shoe/apparel brand is purely a waste of time.

Last edited:
Nike AD, Suh (who is a Nike guy), and Phil might change the landscape. Seems like the timing is right.

Can you imagine a Nebraska “Niketown” across from Memorial? I bet 16, 17 and 18 year-olds would love that.
To quote an 18 year old here in DC when I asked him why I see so many kids wearing adidas now. "NIKE is what my parents wear. I am not that old." So your 16, 17 and 18 year old comment as I have stated before is wrong.

To quote an 18 year old here in DC when I asked him why I see so many kids wearing adidas now. "NIKE is what my parents wear. I am not that old." So your 16, 17 and 18 year old comment as I have stated before is wrong.
You are hilarious. You talk to ONE 18 year old in DC and he now represents the entire 16, 17 and 18 year old age bracket across the US. Wow.
I merely asked the question because I heard yesterday that the Louisville AD executed the Adidas deal without administration approval (I believe ESPN). I know we just inked a new deal, but I also know there is an escape clause in the contract that allows NU to terminate the agreement if Adidas does not perform within certain boundaries.
I can easily see a new AD terminating the deal and signing a similar deal with Nike, to change and spice things up (see Leach’s comments), at NU.
I’m not sure Nike did what Adidas did - but time will tell.

You are hilarious. You talk to ONE 18 year old in DC and he now represents the entire 16, 17 and 18 year old age bracket across the US. Wow.
I merely asked the question because I heard yesterday that the Louisville AD executed the Adidas deal without administration approval (I believe ESPN). I know we just inked a new deal, but I also know there is an escape clause in the contract that allows NU to terminate the agreement if Adidas does not perform within certain boundaries.
I can easily see a new AD terminating the deal and signing a similar deal with Nike, to change and spice things up (see Leach’s comments), at NU.
I’m not sure Nike did what Adidas did - but time will tell.
Again WRONG. I have said for the last two years. I work with a lot of youth. I have noticed more and more wearing Adidas so I asked ONE two questions to verify my observations. Am i seeing more kids wearing Adidas and his answer was heck yeah. Then I asked him why and he said Nike is what my mom wears. I have relayed the story so many times on here that I did not feel the need to keep repeating it. Adidas is coming up. Walk around any major city and you will see a lot more adidas than ten years ago. ESPEcIALLY on the high school and college age kids. The exception which someone already mentioned is basketball players. However UA is getting their fare share of them.

I tend to believe that part of that from Gen Y on watch a lot more soccer than boomers and Gen X. Adidas owns soccer. but keep believing the fantasy that kids only go to Nike schools. Actually what tends to happen is once a school starts to win big Nike swoops in and offers truck loads of money. If you are not currently a winning team they under bid. Nike would have paid us 1/3 or less of what we got from three stripe.

Let me see what I can do to help you...

Last year Nike had 52 shoes in the top 60. This year they have 35. Adidas had 2 shoes in the top 60 last year, now 24 (dominated by basketball). Although better progress from Adidas, Nike still wins. Under Armour is flunking, they are almost at the bottom of market in every category, and their stock is tanking. Nike, however, is the king in both athletic shoes and apparel. At the end of the day, Nike has lost about 8% over the past couple of years, but they own 50.8%+ of the total US market. Adidas, which has grown, has less than 7.4% of the total US market.

Be careful when you tell someone they are wrong. I personally don't care whether NU sticks with Adidas or not, what I do care about is what resonates with the kids we need to bring to Lincoln (of course my opinion has no bearing on what should/will be done). I am pretty sure Ohio State, Clemson, and Alabama (just to name a few), are not switching to Adidas anytime soon. Nike is rated as the 18th most valuable brand in the world while Adidas is ranked 60th. If you think the 3 stripe life brings kids to Lincoln, that is your choice, but the numbers don't show it.

GBR[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Again WRONG. I have said for the last two years. I work with a lot of youth. I have noticed more and more wearing Adidas so I asked ONE two questions to verify my observations. Am i seeing more kids wearing Adidas and his answer was heck yeah. Then I asked him why and he said Nike is what my mom wears. I have relayed the story so many times on here that I did not feel the need to keep repeating it. Adidas is coming up. Walk around any major city and you will see a lot more adidas than ten years ago. ESPEcIALLY on the high school and college age kids. The exception which someone already mentioned is basketball players. However UA is getting their fare share of them.

I tend to believe that part of that from Gen Y on watch a lot more soccer than boomers and Gen X. Adidas owns soccer. but keep believing the fantasy that kids only go to Nike schools. Actually what tends to happen is once a school starts to win big Nike swoops in and offers truck loads of money. If you are not currently a winning team they under bid. Nike would have paid us 1/3 or less of what we got from three stripe.

I agree. I have a 12 year old and he and most of his buddies wear Adidas. Don't know if that represents what the older kids are wearing but I think the younger guys usually pick up on what is hip in high school. His school is K thru 12.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back