• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does HCMR Run More Trick Plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Trick plays rarely win ball games. When you have to "trick" the other team, you are saying that you are not good enough to beat them head-to-head. Very few trick plays please.

[video=youtube;gJtZYKIzzZE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJtZYKIzzZE[/video]

Sorry, what was that?

Just wondering why this particular S&C coach has you all excited. I'm guessing you don't actually know anything about him other than he worked as an assistant at USC and Oregon State. Another buddy hire, if you will, getting his first job as the main S&C coach.

Yep, great play, and they can work, and sometimes what you need. But I think the point was (at least mine) that you don't want to try to make a career out of them! All coaches have them, and I'd guess most would prefer to never have to run them.

Exactly. Trick plays rarely win ball games. When you have to "trick" the other team, you are saying that you are not good enough to beat them head-to-head. Very few trick plays please.

I think Gus Malzahn would beg to differ.

Trick plays are such a regular part of Auburn's offense that you might not be able to call them tricks. Malzahn enters every game with a handful of trick plays and he will use them, some repeatedly. Whether it is just trick formations (TE lined up at tackle) or reverses and reverse passes, they use it all.

Trick plays are not necessarily about "tricking" your opponent, they are just wrinkles built within the framework of your offense. The best possible thing trick plays can do is make future opponents prepare for them. If you put it on film, the other team is going to see it and spend time preparing for it. The more time they spend thinking about defending a play you may run once a game, the less time they spend preparing for your base offense.

A little creativity would go a long way at Nebraska. I'm for as many trick plays as we can design. I'd settle for some reverses though.

We tried to trick Melvin Gordon into falling down.

Didn't work, so I don't like trick plays.

Just wondering why this particular S&C coach has you all excited. I'm guessing you don't actually know anything about him other than he worked as an assistant at USC and Oregon State. Another buddy hire, if you will, getting his first job as the main S&C coach.

Yep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back