• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does BO allow leadership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bo is not a leader, he is a dictator. IMO, there is no room for players to be leaders on his team...he is the only "leader"...that's why we don't have any captains.

Bo's team's are NOT emotionless, to the contrary, they are emotionally charged...often to their detriment.

If we as fathers, were to lead our families as Bo leads this team, judging by what we see on the field, we would be utter failures. Fear, intimidation, verbal abuse, and setting a generally bad example will drive those we love from us.

If we as fathers, were to lead our families as Bo leads this team, judging by what we see on the field, we would be utter failures. Fear, intimidation, verbal abuse, and setting a generally bad example will drive those we love from us.

Of course, we don't actually see much of the time that Pelini spends with his kids, so you don't know this for sure.

And, what we do see doesn't actually have a parallel to our lives as fathers... Unless you have a few hours a week of intense competition built in to your week for your kids.

I wonder if someone like Bo "sucks all the oxygen out of the room" in terms of leadership. Perhaps he is so intense, less leadership develops on the team.

Just a theory, don't really know how you could even determine if its true or not.

You could very well be right Huskernut.

Of course, we don't actually see much of the time that Pelini spends with his kids, so you don't know this for sure.

Any honest, objective person should want to give Bo the benefit of doubt. But, a few decades on this earth tells me if it looks, swims and sounds like a duck -- it's a duck. I would say it's more a case that anger breeds fear and fearful people usually don't express themselves. Remember how long it actually took for SP's idiosyncrasies to surface, at least publically? No, we've had enough to witness the reality.

It is hindering the program and needs to be corrected.

I have never understood Bo's decision to have only Captains-For-A-Day. I think that limits the ability to develop team leaders.

Somehow, I don't think the Bobfather was a touchy-feely kind of coach.

Somehow, I don't think the Bobfather was a touchy-feely kind of coach.

I would be careful to differentiate a few things between Bob and Bo. It's one thing to be passionate. It's another to be angry and hold on to it. While I didn't personally know Bob, I would observe he wasn't the kind of person to hold onto things. He also didn't seem as threatened by 'outsiders.' In fact, I think Bob could embrace outsiders. Second, we're dealing with a whole new generation of players. Different enviroment, psyches, and emotional make-up. Not that I like it, but it's the way it is. T.M. epitomizes it, imo. Many kids are growing up in an emotional vacuum. How they interface with a Bo-type is questionable. Perhaps we're seeing the result.

I would be careful to differentiate a few things between Bob and Bo. It's one thing to be passionate. It's another to be angry and hold on to it. While I didn't personally know Bob, I would observe he wasn't the kind of person to hold onto things. He also didn't seem as threatened by 'outsiders.' In fact, I think Bob could embrace outsiders. Second, we're dealing with a whole new generation of players. Different enviroment, psyches, and emotional make-up. Not that I like it, but it's the way it is. T.M. epitomizes it, imo. Many kids are growing up in an emotional vacuum. How they interface with a Bo-type is questionable. Perhaps we're seeing the result.

The litany of vices I responded to did not include "anger" or "holding on to anger" but I'd venture a wager the Bobfather was angry more than a few times. I agree the kids today are different and need to be coddled like babies. So what motivates them, praise after failure? Participation ribbons? "You missed that tackle but you get an ice cream cone anyway?"

The litany of vices I responded to did not include "anger" or "holding on to anger" but I'd venture a wager the Bobfather was angry more than a few times. I agree the kids today are different and need to be coddled like babies. So what motivates them, praise after failure? Participation ribbons? "You missed that tackle but you get an ice cream cone anyway?"

I'd venture to say we've all been angry more than a few times. The real downside of anger is it leaves a darn near indelible impression. You and I practically remember everyone in our lifetimes that got really angry with us. The difference becomes how our longer term experiences play out with people to validate or invalidate that moment. As for coddling. The only long term way to motivate people is love. Maybe that's corny to some. But it's the truth. The focus needs to be on how that works. Sometimes it's tough, other times it's gentle. The key flows from the motivation of the giver. Being a worthy 'giver' is a lifetime endeavor but well worth the effort. Now and eternally.

And btw, it doesn't matter whether its in the sack with your wife, dealing with the result (your family) or a football team.

I'd venture to say we've all been angry more than a few times. The real downside of anger is it leaves a darn near indelible impression. You and I practically remember everyone in our lifetimes that got really angry with us. The difference becomes how our longer term experiences play out with people to validate or invalidate that moment. As for coddling. The only long term way to motivate people is love. Maybe that's corny to some. But it's the truth. The focus needs to be on how that works. Sometimes it's tough, other times it's gentle. The key flows from the motivation of the giver. Being a worthy 'giver' is a lifetime endeavor but well worth the effort. Now and eternally.

And btw, it doesn't matter whether its in the sack with your wife, dealing with the result (your family) or a football team.

By most accounts, the players love playing for Bo. He's not always like he is on the sideline.

I think evidence is mounting to the contrary. Remember all the glowing stories about team comraderie and leadership at the beginning of season? The barbeques and 'bonding' going on? T.M, Kinney, Rex stepping up and being 'leaders'. What happened? Assuming it wasn't a lot of BS. What happened is the season began. The crucible so to speak. And, just like a game the season played out with its ebb and flow, emotions, distraction and pressure.

Bo became a counterforce to the team dynamic. He becomes the focus and a lighning rod. After all, that's his part of 'taking the teams back' in his world. And as he reacts the team reacts. And, those impressions are indelible.

That needs to change or he, the team, and we are going nowhere toward up. Sideways, at best -- and that probably speaks more more about the good qualities of the people around Bo, than him.

I think evidence is mounting to the contrary. Remember all the glowing stories about team comraderie and leadership at the beginning of season? The barbeques and 'bonding' going on? T.M, Kinney, Rex stepping up and being 'leaders'. What happened? Assuming it wasn't a lot of BS. What happened is the season began. The crucible so to speak. And, just like a game the season played out with its ebb and flow, emotions, distraction and pressure.

Bo became a counterforce to the team dynamic. He becomes the focus and a lighning rod. After all, that's his part of 'taking the teams back' in his world. And as he reacts the team reacts. And, those impressions are indelible.

That needs to change or he, the team, and we are going nowhere toward up. Sideways, at best -- and that probably speaks more more about the good qualities of the people around Bo, than him.

Or maybe, just maybe, that team-building stuff doesn't really work.

You can't establish a rivalry by fiat. Maybe that applies to chemistry as well.

Good post that I would like to follow up with .
leadership comes in many forms playing hard is one of those for sure then where is that player that when the chips are down takes over. We saw it yesterday with Okie lite. Down 14 to 0 they panned the the sidelines and there was Blackman in a huddle with the coaches and yelling over the coaches looking at each player in the face telling them all they were better than what they were showing. Next 2 dives they tied it up...emotion? or just the refusal to throw in the towel. Where are the player on the Husker squad doing this. ...are they allowed to do this. Would BO allow to be talked over when he is talking? or does what you say happen more times than not in a game
were..
Bo became a counterforce to the team dynamic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back