• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do we have good backups to AM?

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
The way football is now played, the second most important layer on the team is the backup QB, since he becvomes the most important player once the QB gets hurt. We will be extraordinarily lucky not o have AM hurt for one or more games next year, so who do we have to take over in whom we fleel confident? Absent having someone, some of the predictions of wins seem out of sight over optimistic. Coaching up a high school kid is a possiblitiy, but is that we we are counting on. Or is it Vedral?

I hope Bunch stays around for that very reason. We have seen what third string QBs do to your team, and if you are as I am, living in the DC area, you have seen that a team can get down to the fourth string QB very quickly.

The way football is now played, the second most important layer on the team is the backup QB, since he becvomes the most important player once the QB gets hurt. We will be extraordinarily lucky not o have AM hurt for one or more games next year, so who do we have to take over in whom we fleel confident? Absent having someone, some of the predictions of wins seem out of sight over optimistic. Coaching up a high school kid is a possiblitiy, but is that we we are counting on. Or is it Vedral?

I hope Bunch stays around for that very reason. We have seen what third string QBs do to your team, and if you are as I am, living in the DC area, you have seen that a team can get down to the fourth string QB very quickly.
We will see a drop off for sure if AM gets hurt,but just me, I think we will be okay for a game or two. I hope we Red shirt McCaffery.Already pumped for the season to start.GBR.

CFB today allows players to be fairly transient. Especially at the QB position. If I don't like the depth chart - transfer. Coach names a different starter - transfer. And it is more accepted today in the coaching circle, the recruiting world and in the locker room.

Scholarship restrictions often prevent a large group in the QB room ... so in many ways having that backup, that kid willing to wait his turn and/or toil as a backup is extremely valuable.

Look at Clemson ... two QBs transfer, Trevor Lawrence got injured and they were literally down to their 4th string QB at one point this year.
Look at 'Bama ... Hurts does not transfer and he might be the hero of their season willing to be that backup.

Having said that ... I also hope that Bunch stays but in a role where he accepts being the 3rd or 4th string guy ... Verdal is likely the backup next year with McCaffery hopefully redshirting.

You would like to have 3 qualified QBs. I don't have any concerns about 2020. I think we are ok in 2019 IF EITHER of these happens:

1. Bunch stays
  2. Luke McC learns the offense and demonstrates capability.

I wouldn't normally count on a freshman, but 2018 showed it can work with the right kid. My preference is that Bunch stays and Luke redshirts. We'll see...

The premise that a backup quarterback is the 2nd most important player on a team is incorrect and an insult to everyone else on the field.

With that out of the way, it's probably clear that Martinez is head and shoulders above his competition for the position, but we have players that can be successful if called upon.

The premise that a backup quarterback is the 2nd most important player on a team is incorrect and an insult to everyone else on the field.

With that out of the way, it's probably clear that Martinez is head and shoulders above his competition for the position, but we have players that can be successful if called upon.
Agree except I think we are in trouble if Martinez goes down. It didn't matter as much last year as it turned out but I think the stakes will be much higher in 2019.

I have been disappointed in the play of Vedral. I thought he would be much better. UCF doesn't seem to miss him either. Their backup has done quite well. Thats not to say that Vedral couldn't take a huge step forward if given the chance...but as of now, he leaves a lot to be desired.

And you are right that QB is never the 2nd most important player.

Last edited:

Not sure I’d agree that the second most important player on the team is the backup QB. If someone that plays 5% of the time is that important, you’re doing it wrong as a coach.

But to your question, we should be in a great spot. Vedral in year 3 of the system, 4 star true freshman, and Bunch if he stays.

fully expect football success out of maccafry(sp) real soon after first exposure to live action

Agree except I think we are in trouble if Martinez goes down. It didn't matter as much last year as it turned out but I think the stakes will be much higher in 2019.

I have been disappointed in the play of Vedral. I thought he would be much better. UCF doesn't seem to miss him either. Their backup has done quite well. Thats not to say that Vedral couldn't take a huge step forward if given the chance...but as of now, he leaves a lot to be desired.

And you are right that QB is never the 2nd most important player.
If Vedral had stayed at UCF, he would have been the replacement for Milton.

If LM is better then any other backup QB then he shouldn't redshirt imo. That however remains to be seen...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back