• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked do last day dramatics hurt our staff efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power of Corn

Scout Team
10 Year Member
i wonder if we have lost out on any recruits because of too many guys waiting til the last day. of course we are holding a spot for peat, we all know that, but what if he stiffs us, its real hard to go after other guys at that point, it makes them feel like a real consolation prize. if you are used to waiting for 5 guys on the last day, we sure dont get them all every year, and im sure we miss out on some other guys.-----------
my point is this, if peat has already decided hes coming to nebr, he is causing the staff to spend time doing things they needn't do, instead of moving to get other players to go alongside of peat.

I hate the drama of the last day, its really just showboating, and an "all about me" display, which is not exactly the kind of guy were looking for anyway :soapbox:

cant argue with the ME mentality of society these days. but it is a huge decision for these kids and would expect at least some of them have let coaches know. at this point in the game bo certainly would not holding out about half the total schollies based on hope. he probable has knowledge or a pretty good feel for what is going to take place on signing day. we also have a few pretty promising walk ons that could get any left over schollies..as red pointed out in another thread, good sign that some of the guys (TE loo?) have been told to look else where

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if the staff doesn't already know or have a pretty good idea who is 'N' and who is not....

Some is showboating....but some kids go to schools where they have ceremonies to honor the kids....I understand that and have no problem with it....

I would not read too much into that...

Just because a recruit lates until signing day to announce his choice publicly, does not necessarily mean he hasn't informed the staff of his commitment.

good points fellas, i hate if i sounded too cynical there. Im encouraged by the job our coaches are doing and think were gonna have some nice additions come a week from now

I think this could be true if it's the first time you visited or showed renewed interest in a recruit. I think it looks like they really want me bad if they are continous after you.

Someone in another thread made an interesting comment that maybe these kids are pushed by ESPN to give their commitments on signing day, since they're having a day long special on ESPNU. That makes me feel that most of the kids have already told the staffs their decision, but won't make it public till signing day.

Someone in another thread made an interesting comment that maybe these kids are pushed by ESPN to give their commitments on signing day, since they're having a day long special on ESPNU. That makes me feel that most of the kids have already told the staffs their decision, but won't make it public till signing day.
And if the coach knows the player is committing to his school, may as well get the extra publicity from ESPN. Take advantage of the situation!

I would say 50% of the "ME" attitude comes from the fans as well. These kids are trying to make a decision that will best get them to better there future, whether that be playing at the next level or just getting a great education while playing a sport that they love for a storied program. Unless you've been in the shoes of these recruits, you would understand everything that comes with it. Speaking from experience, communication is a VERY VERY important factor for both the school and recruit in this. You don't want to leave the school in the dark about anything because there are other recruits out there who will turn on the light. Same goes for the school, don't leave a recruit in the dark because there are other schools who will turn on the light.

A kid waiting til signing day could mean that he is weighing all options on the table to make the best choice for himself and his future. The greater the talent, the more attention that decision will attract. Fan many times call for the recruit to commit to the school they support for obvious reasons. One, it builds hype around the program for the future. A fan complaining that a recruit has a "ME" attitude because he hasn't "announced" his commitment, is a fan with a "ME" attitude wanting to be satisfied with knowing that this kid will be in the school colleges come next fall. A lot of times the coaches know who the kid will choose by the end of the season but are making different actions to sway that recruit or keep that recruits interest high on their program simply because "if you move your feet, you loose your seat". Yes, sometimes a coach may get a surprise on NSD, but 9 times our of 10 the staff know what letters to expect, and what letters not to count on, why, because they had direction communication with the recruit and his family. Everything outside of that is just entertainment for the fans.

I would be very surprised if the staff doesn't already know or have a pretty good idea who is 'N' and who is not....

Some is showboating....but some kids go to schools where they have ceremonies to honor the kids....I understand that and have no problem with it....

I would not read too much into that...

Yes I agree the coaches probably have a pretty good idea of who is coming and who is not. They are taking that into consideration as they recruit. The purpose for waiting until signing day is not to much to keep the coaches in the dark as for the drama.

One set signing day is an idea that's belongs in the past. ESucksPN is turning it into a circus. Change the rules so coaches can start collecting signatures on Feb. 1, with all signatures due Feb. 7. Those who want to wait and weigh can, the best of them will have spots held, while the others will feel some heat as slots fill up.

One set signing day is an idea that's belongs in the past. ESucksPN is turning it into a circus. Change the rules so coaches can start collecting signatures on Feb. 1, with all signatures due Feb. 7. Those who want to wait and weigh can, the best of them will have spots held, while the others will feel some heat as slots fill up.
That's what it is..no rule that you have sign that day terrell pryor made teams wait several weeks before making his desision

Terrell Pryor waited til March 19, 2008, well into spring camp. There are many cases like this, but this is the first to come to mind.

Edit: I see some have already pointed this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back