• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Dirk's story in the OWH

Status
Not open for further replies.

b12 2.0

Recruit
2 Year Member
I know there are people that disagree with Dirk on occasion.

He has a piece in the OWH today that is easily one of the best stories I've read.

Take a few minutes and read it if you will

Not able to link it... It's on omaha.com

Nice work, Dirk!

Yup. Apparently I don't know how to make an iPad do anything other than look at the internet.

Yup. Apparently I don't know how to make an iPad do anything other than look at the internet.

Lol. No worries. Pretty good story. I grew up in Alliance and remember going to a wrestling meet in Banner County one year when snow had cancelled a lot of the other events. Beautiful part of the country if you ask me. I really like these types of in depth stories that papers do now.

I wish Sam McKewon would have written this story. Dirk's version is good, but he's not a good descriptive writer. Sam would have knocked it out of the park.

It is the best sports oriented feature article I have seen for a long while. I hope he does more of them. I have intimate knowledge of the situation of which Dirk writes and he nails the essence of the dilemma dead center. Sports Illustrated or ESPN did one on the little town of Arthur, Nebraska a couple years ago on a very similar theme. This article rates right up there with that one in my book. I especially could identify with the coach in this article.

When you can write like that whay would you write the baloney that he writes 99% of the time. Wish more people could read this story.

It is the best sports oriented feature article I have seen for a long while. I hope he does more of them. I have intimate knowledge of the situation of which Dirk writes and he nails the essence of the dilemma dead center. Sports Illustrated or ESPN did one on the little town of Arthur, Nebraska a couple years ago on a very similar theme. This article rates right up there with that one in my book. I especially could identify with the coach in this article.

This is a schmaltz story. SI and ESPN do these all the time. They are meant to tug at the heartstrings and create an emotional response. That said, they normally do just that and are awesome.

Dirk tried to copy this type of schmaltz, even getting the extra editing/formatting for the article. But, he doesn't have the feel for it. He tries to give the basic story form that's given in any feel good story: 1) Present the real time issue: Last game for a school 2) Flashback to the beginning of the issue 3) Present the conflict/challenge that the protagonists are facing 4) How did the protagonists resolve it.

Dirk can't give the cohesive story. One minute he talks about the present kid's injury, then jumps to the football history of LHF, to consolidation history, to a road trip, to enrollment history, to farming improvements, to decreased number of kids, to the number of schools having football, to Chuck Hagel playing basketball (seriously, why is this in here??), to a retired coach buying a farm, but not living there, back to the long road trip that really isn't talked about before, followed by rival towns consolidating, back to the road trip, mentioning NE is a fly-over state, now back to the history of LHF football, a nice bit on the cooperation of the Lindsay Manufacturing plant helping the town (as long as the townsfolk do menial labor for them), now to the legacy LHF players at the last LHF home game, back to the old fundraisers, and it goes on and on....jumping from timeline to timeline, without a true narrative progression.

Sounds like he really pissed you off RC. Maybe you should avoid Dirk's stuff. Then again, maybe you just like being pissed off! :Biggrin:

Sounds like he really pissed you off RC. Maybe you should avoid Dirk's stuff. Then again, maybe you just like being pissed off! :Biggrin:

Dirk peed in my cheerios. :Biggrin:

You never know what will set you off, do you? I enjoy these types of stories, especially when it encompasses something that is uniquely Nebraskan (or unique to rural life, since other states play 6-man). It could have been written much better, but I may have been a bit harsh on Dirk. I'll put the torch and pitchfork back in the garage. ;)

This is a schmaltz story. SI and ESPN do these all the time. They are meant to tug at the heartstrings and create an emotional response. That said, they normally do just that and are awesome.

Dirk tried to copy this type of schmaltz, even getting the extra editing/formatting for the article. But, he doesn't have the feel for it. He tries to give the basic story form that's given in any feel good story: 1) Present the real time issue: Last game for a school 2) Flashback to the beginning of the issue 3) Present the conflict/challenge that the protagonists are facing 4) How did the protagonists resolve it.

Dirk can't give the cohesive story. One minute he talks about the present kid's injury, then jumps to the football history of LHF, to consolidation history, to a road trip, to enrollment history, to farming improvements, to decreased number of kids, to the number of schools having football, to Chuck Hagel playing basketball (seriously, why is this in here??), to a retired coach buying a farm, but not living there, back to the long road trip that really isn't talked about before, followed by rival towns consolidating, back to the road trip, mentioning NE is a fly-over state, now back to the history of LHF football, a nice bit on the cooperation of the Lindsay Manufacturing plant helping the town (as long as the townsfolk do menial labor for them), now to the legacy LHF players at the last LHF home game, back to the old fundraisers, and it goes on and on....jumping from timeline to timeline, without a true narrative progression.

wow dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back