• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Did college football die this year

Is jack murphy stadium gone?

Yep, the old Murph was leveled. I was really disappointed they didn't try to keep one external wall that had a cool mural on it dating back to the early 80's. Repurpose it somehow even if not for the new stadium.

1641271474328.png

C

I remember we were sitting right next to the NU band and when EC hit that 45 yard TD pass I turned to the old guy next to me and told him that EC is going to be special. I was there with a couple friends and one was a Wildcat fan, oof.

C

Tough loss to a good Arizona team. I remember exiting the stadium while witnessing the joyous Wildcats fans.

Turns out the following season was one of our best non-national championship teams ever. The building blocks were in place in '98, as we both witnessed at the Holiday Bowl.

Tough loss to a good Arizona team. I remember exiting the stadium while witnessing the joyous Wildcats fans.

Turns out the following season was one of our best non-national championship teams ever. The building blocks were in place in '98, as we both witnessed at the Holiday Bowl.

And Arizona didn't return to a bowl game till 2008. Then I got to watch the rematch and shutout in 2009.

Sure hope NU does not have a 10 year bowl drought.

C

I think my favorite non NU Holiday bowl was the 2001 Texas vs Washington.

C

That, and the same teams are playing for the ESPN championship every year
Yeah. They have really invalidated the regular season with the fact that every confrence has a CCG and now they are looking at 8 teams making the playoff. But the transfer portal and the paying players has essentially eroded all of the fun in college football.

CFB has become a free agency stepping stone for individual players self interests. This has pros and cons.

Pro: Easier and easier for individual young athletes to make the most of themselves early on and create their own opportunities and successes
Con: Perception of Individual is greater than the team. For example, personally, I don't believe scholarship players should be able to "opt out" of bowl games. I understand as a player there is risk in getting hurt and sacrificing draft spot and money, however, there is a risk every game. Bowl games generate revenue for schools, so players that have financially benefited through scholarships/NIL should be required to participate for the team/University.

NIL is good, Transfer portal is good. Each has a benefit to CFB student athletes. However, NIL combined with Transfer Portal is bad and creates constant free agency with no contracts or repercussions, which I think is bad for CFB. I'm guessing the fallout of this combination was never considered when each new rule/policy was enacted. (I would hate to be a coach and have to navigate through this)

Does it get so bad that athletic donors and boosters, through NIL, "buy" teams. There's already NIL for OL as a group, NIL for skilled positions, etc. Where does the line get drawn, and do donors and boosters quit giving, or give less, to the Universities and set up NIL Corporations/foundations to "buy" the best players, with no salary cap type structure to stop it from happening. And thinking this through even further, if this does happen at more full scale, what happens to Title 9 type sports programs. Will Universities have to cut non-revenue generating sports?

I'm not taking sides one way or the other, however, the combination of policies is having adverse consequences on CFB and I'm guessing NCAA, Conference Heads, University Heads, AD's, coaches are concerned.

Good beer drinking conversation from the cheap seats!

CFB has become a free agency stepping stone for individual players self interests. This has pros and cons.

Pro: Easier and easier for individual young athletes to make the most of themselves early on and create their own opportunities and successes
Con: Perception of Individual is greater than the team. For example, personally, I don't believe scholarship players should be able to "opt out" of bowl games. I understand as a player there is risk in getting hurt and sacrificing draft spot and money, however, there is a risk every game. Bowl games generate revenue for schools, so players that have financially benefited through scholarships/NIL should be required to participate for the team/University.

NIL is good, Transfer portal is good. Each has a benefit to CFB student athletes. However, NIL combined with Transfer Portal is bad and creates constant free agency with no contracts or repercussions, which I think is bad for CFB. I'm guessing the fallout of this combination was never considered when each new rule/policy was enacted. (I would hate to be a coach and have to navigate through this)

Does it get so bad that athletic donors and boosters, through NIL, "buy" teams. There's already NIL for OL as a group, NIL for skilled positions, etc. Where does the line get drawn, and do donors and boosters quit giving, or give less, to the Universities and set up NIL Corporations/foundations to "buy" the best players, with no salary cap type structure to stop it from happening. And thinking this through even further, if this does happen at more full scale, what happens to Title 9 type sports programs. Will Universities have to cut non-revenue generating sports?

I'm not taking sides one way or the other, however, the combination of policies is having adverse consequences on CFB and I'm guessing NCAA, Conference Heads, University Heads, AD's, coaches are concerned.

Good beer drinking conversation from the cheap seats!

How would you feel, as a 'team' member, playing behind a starting OL guy that makes money on his likeness, while you make nothing? Where is the 'team' concept here?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back