• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Derrick Walker Suspended 16 Games (for violation @ UTenn)

Derrick Walker was not eligible to play in the McNeese State Game.

This is not New news. DW told the coaches about it when Nebraska was recruiting him as a transfer candidate.

The penalty of 16 game is supposed to be half a season. DW is getting the short end of the stick in this 'rona season, since we'll be lucky to get 20 games in this year. The length of the suspension could theoretically be shortened via appeal.

More here (if you are a subscriber in order to read it :()

Last edited:
Statement from Nebraska Men’s Basketball Coach Fred Hoiberg: :Mfclap::Mfclap::Mfclap:

“One of the aspects I like most about coaching is the deep personal relationships and impact you have on the development of the people in your program. It is my job as the head coach at the University of Nebraska to help mold and develop my players just as much off the court as on the court. I take a lot of pride in building trusting relationships where my players know that they can come talk to me whenever they need something.

Since arriving at Nebraska, Derrick Walker has been phenomenal at owning up to a mistake he made prior to coming here. He was transparent throughout the recruiting process and acknowledged his mistake. In turn, we told him confidently we would support and fight for him.

The 16-game suspension Derrick faces is based on a normal 31-game regular season. In our opinion, the penalty should accurately reflect half of the abbreviated 2020-21 season, which is scheduled to be 27 games. We have made that case with the NCAA, but at this point the 16-game penalty stands. A lot of hard work went into this from many people at the University, and I thank them for their efforts.

Regardless of the outcome of any further appeals, we will continue to support Derrick and get him as ready as possible for when he is eligible to compete. I know Derrick is in a much better place today than when he arrived at Nebraska, and he is a valuable member of our team on and off the court.”

Last edited:

In a season when games can easily get canceled, this suspension can end up being a lot harsher than intended. I hope it gets calibrated a bit, but I have no confidence in the NCAA.

In a season when games can easily get canceled, this suspension can end up being a lot harsher than intended. I hope it gets calibrated a bit, but I have no confidence in the NCAA.
It would be cool if he had to sit a game and then play a game. That would allow for him to sit half the season during this uncertain season, but as has been pointed out...
The NCAA sucks.

Saw this elsewhere: :Redface:

That means he should be available for the game @ Maryland (Jan 16th).

During Fred's presser today he mentioned that Walker had 11 more games he had to sit. Sounds like they may have been successful with their appeal.

Last edited:
I read that Derrick Walker could potentially become eligible to play starting with the game vs Purdue on Jan 5th (presumably with the addition of Doane to the schedule). Fingers crossed! (there are no more cancelled games):nod:

First Four B1G Games, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State & Michigan State.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back