• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Delancey

This is an ignorant question. If they are in the transfer portal are they no longer practicing with the team?
I think that is safe to assume. There are occassional exceptions like our former backup QB Bunch, who was exploring opportunities with the staff's blessing.

Kids from states where we don’t play games are going to have a considerably higher attrition rate. Recruiting kids from CA, FL, and TX is a high risk proposition for Nebraska. That’s part of the spoils of joining a rust belt - centric conference.
Yes, kids from outside the conference footprint are more likely to bail. Recruiting the talent-rich states in the west and south is higher risk. It's hard to completely ignore those states though. The only "top 5" talent-producing state in the Big 10 is Ohio, and we haven't gotten any top prospects from there since Marrow left Pelini's staff.

Winning and strong culture would help with retention too. Ohio St. seems to do okay with kids from Texas, Georgia, etc. Wisconsin has been getting 4* from places like Hawaii and Arizona.

Kids from states where we don’t play games are going to have a considerably higher attrition rate. Recruiting kids from CA, FL, and TX is a high risk proposition for Nebraska. That’s part of the spoils of joining a rust belt - centric conference.
Especially when you make up more then half of your roster with those recruits. 67 from outside the footprint for Nebraska, unless I counted wrong 37 for Ohio St and less then 20 at Iowa. The rest of their roster is made up of kids from inside the Big Ten footprint. IMO Nebraska needs to get back to having the foundation of the team be from inside the 500 mile radius and with the cost of attendance you can’t bank on instate walk-ones to be that foundation, especially when they’re being offered full rides elsewhere

Yes, kids from outside the conference footprint are more likely to bail. Recruiting the talent-rich states in the west and south is higher risk. It's hard to completely ignore those states though. The only "top 5" talent-producing state in the Big 10 is Ohio, and we haven't gotten any top prospects from there since Marrow left Pelini's staff.

Winning and strong culture would help with retention too. Ohio St. seems to do okay with kids from Texas, Georgia, etc. Wisconsin has been getting 4* from places like Hawaii and Arizona.
But look at those teams’ rosters. The foundation of their programs are from kids inside their 500 mile radius.

Current per 24/7 Sports: BIG TEN ONLY (transfers OUT only)
Maryland: 20 in portal
DONU: 19
Rutgers: 15
PSU: 13
Minnesota: 11
Michigan: 10
Purdue: 10
Iowa: 10
MSU: 8
Indiana: 8
Illinois: 7
Wisconsin: 5
OSU: 4
Northwestern: 3

Winners stay, losers transfer..........
Damn, that makes it pretty clear. Winning + culture + stability really helps with retention. MSU and Illimois being the exceptions.

well recruiting is really tough right now especially for a team like Nebraska, but i still think Nebraska needs to live in Texas(recruiting). When NU left the Big 12 and Bo said that they needed to change their recruiting i literally SCREAMED at the tv. Don't let the Texas pipeline dry up, Nebraska was a well know name in Texas, the best NU teams had guys like Aaron taylor on them. Nebraska wont get back IMO to compete with Ohio st until they start recruiting Texas again and HARD. Texas kids i think are different then Florida kids or Cali kids. Looking at Bama, lsu last year, clemson, i was surprised at how many texas kids were on their rosters. Scott needs to find a top recruiter out of Texas and get that pipeline opened up again FAST.

Well there you have it, the team should only recruit kids from Nebraska and then whine about why there isn't anyone from Florida. OR (and)
Recruit from all over the country and whine about the kids who don't stay

well recruiting is really tough right now especially for a team like Nebraska, but i still think Nebraska needs to live in Texas(recruiting). When NU left the Big 12 and Bo said that they needed to change their recruiting i literally SCREAMED at the tv. Don't let the Texas pipeline dry up, Nebraska was a well know name in Texas, the best NU teams had guys like Aaron taylor on them. Nebraska wont get back IMO to compete with Ohio st until they start recruiting Texas again and HARD. Texas kids i think are different then Florida kids or Cali kids. Looking at Bama, lsu last year, clemson, i was surprised at how many texas kids were on their rosters. Scott needs to find a top recruiter out of Texas and get that pipeline opened up again FAST.

Most Texas kids aren't interested in playing at Nebraska. The nearest home game for the family is Lincoln, a full day's drive. Back in the Big 8/12 days, many games were within an hour, two, or three from the big recruitment hotbeds in Texas. The days of consistent Texas recruiting are gonzo. Better focus on the midwest. Cheese moved.

Another interesting deal...back in the Big 12 days, there were always a few kids from Amarillo High School that attended UNL - not necessarily athletes, but just kids that wanted to go there. Three years ago when my son was trying to decide where to attend, I asked UNL Admissions to query their database for any other kids from his high school that would be attending UNL. Zilcho. Then I asked "well then query all of Amarillo." (6 high schools) Zilcho. OK then, how about the entire Texas panhandle? Zilcho.

Nebraska's ties to Texas - culturally and athletically - are over.

Last edited:
Most Texas kids aren't interested in playing at Nebraska. The nearest home game for the family is Lincoln, a full day's drive. Back in the Big 8/12 days, many games were within an hour, two, or three from the big recruitment hotbeds in Texas. The days of consistent Texas recruiting are gonzo. Better focus on the midwest. Cheese moved.

Another interesting deal...back in the Big 12 days, there were always a few kids from Amarillo High School that attended UNL - not necessarily athletes, but just kids that wanted to go there. Three years ago when my son was trying to decide where to attend, I asked UNL Admissions to query their database for any other kids from his high school that would be attending UNL. Zilcho. Then I asked "well then query all of Amarillo." (6 high schools) Zilcho. OK then, how about the entire Texas panhandle? Zilcho.

Nebraska's ties to Texas - culturally and athletically - are over.
Yep. Leaving the B12 has really hurt our ability to recruit Texas. It’s not impossible, but much more difficult than when we were part of the Texas league. We’re going to have to hit up the B1G footprint and the 500 mile radius more than we have. And we can still raid the PAC for a few each class because they don’t really care about football out west.

I have been against free agency (call it what you want) from the very beginning. These scholarship athletes should be held to their contracts instead of receiving a pat on the fanny as they hit the tarmac on the way to a cushy top ten team or warmer climate. The current rules just leave tampering wide open and there is no consequence. Unless your on the receiving end such as a top ten team the transfer rules today are an abysmal failure.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back