• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Deadpool 3

Its not that its a great piece of comedic/super hero/cinema...
Its because its different. It works. It does things "right".
It also helps if you're a comic book nerd like me.
Much of his appeal is because "The Merc with a Mouth" is not really a superhero, he's actually an antihero.
He jokes incessantly and breaks the fourth wall. He is self-aware. He is a fictional comic book character who KNOWS he is a fictional comic book character. This is so meta its hilarious, and is unlike any other traditional "superhero" character.
He was hugely popular in the comic world right away.

Another reason the Deadpool movies are popular is because the casting of Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is literally "perfect":
The Deadpool character first appeared in comic books in the 1990s
This was his description back then:
"a disfigured Canadian mercenary with superhuman regenerative healing abilities. He is known for his tendency to joke incessantly and break the fourth wall for humorous effect."
In the 2004 comic series Cable & Deadpool, he refers to his own scarred appearance as "Ryan Reynolds crossed with a Shar Pei"
So when Ryan Reynolds was cast as Deadpool 12 years later, comic book fans went apeshit. Ryan is Canadian, and is just as witty and sarcastic in real life as the Deadpool character from the comics. His real life personality was just like Deadpools

Another reason Ryan's casting is perfect, is Ryans's real-life friendship and fake-feud with Hugh Jackman, who plays Wolverine. In the comics, the original story of the Deadpool character actually had ties to Wolverine's history. And Ryan makes references to Wolverine in the first Deadpool movie. Its perfect.

The breaking of the 4th wall and the self-awareness that he is a fictional comic book character allows Deadpool to make pop culture references like in Deadpool 2 where he makes wisecracks about the X-Men movies, such as Deadpool asking Colossus if Professor X is the James McAvoy or the Patrick Stewart version, and in his interaction with Cable (played by Josh Brolin) he makes references to The Goonies (a movie Josh was in), Thanos (which Josh played in the Avengers), and the 'Do you want to build a snowman/Papa can you hear me' reference, where the latter was a song sang by Barbra Streisand, who is married to Josh Brolins dad, James Brolin. Deadpool takes shots at not just other Marvel movies, but DC comics movies, James Bond movies, John Wick movies, etc. There are so many inside jokes and easter eggs... Its stuff like this that many find hilarious and geek out over.

The comic book references are largely what fans are looking forward to in Deadpool 3/aka Deadpool and Wolverine.
Now that all the licenses/rights are own by one entity (Disney), all the previous owners of the different Marvel products (Spiderman, X-men, Avengers, etc) which all had different owners at one time (Sony, 20th Century Fox, etc) are all now in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe). For example: many people may not have noticed, or not understood why, the Avengers movies could not refer to certain characters as "mutants". They were instead referred to as "enhanced" e.g. the Maximoff twins (Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver). The MCU previously didn't own the rights to use the word "mutant". So now that all the legal entanglements have been resolved,the Deadpool movies can now reference any X-Men or Avenger character, and vice versa. Also, it seems that Wolverine will be wearing his traditional yellow outfit from the comics, which the X-Men movies went away from.

Again, these are the kinds of things that comic book nerds geek out over.
Everything will finally be "right" in the latest Deadpool movie.
The teaming up of Ryan and Hugh as Deadpool and Wolverine is what fans have been craving for almost 10 years.
Wow, now that is a response. Did it take you over a month to craft this statement or did you just not see my post from Feb. 29th till yesterday?

Your explanation is very thorough and heartfelt. I hope you enjoy the movie and aren't disappointed. I wish I was that into something, but I am just not. I am not really a geek about anything.

Wow, now that is a response. Did it take you over a month to craft this statement or did you just not see my post from Feb. 29th till yesterday?
Just saw your post a couple days ago

Your explanation is very thorough and heartfelt. I hope you enjoy the movie and aren't disappointed. I wish I was that into something, but I am just not. I am not really a geek about anything.
I'm a fan of inside jokes, Easter eggs, biting sarcasm, satire, and gratuitous violence. The Deadpool movies have a lot of this.

I expect to be disappointed and disinterested with the main plot of the movie involving the 'Time cops' and the multiverse, but expect to enjoy the subtle references and inside jokes and the "buddy movie" scenes with Ryan and Hugh. One of my favorite movies is Midnight Run. Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin were hilarious. Same goes for Steve Martin and John Candy in Planes,Trains, Automobiles

Last edited:
Just saw your post a couple days ago

I'm a fan of inside jokes, Easter eggs, biting sarcasm, satire, and gratuitous violence. The Deadpool movies have a lot of this.

I expect to be disappointed and disinterested with the main plot of the movie involving the 'Time cops' and the multiverse, but expect to enjoy the subtle references and inside jokes and the "buddy movie" scenes with Ryan and Hugh. One of my favorite movies is Midnight Run. Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin were hilarious. Same goes for Steve Martin and John Candy in Planes,Trains, Automobiles

Sounds good.

I am not a fan of constant sarcasm. I dislike people that everything out of their mouth is a sarcastic remark. Sarcasm is fine in moderation. It gets old when it is a constant thing from someone.

Right before the start of movies in theaters these days, a clip of a standard PSA reminding the audience to silence their phones is played.
But the PSA to be played before 'Deadpool and Wolverine' will be a custom-made one just for this movie.

The spot begins with Deadpool telling Wolverine about his ideas for Secret Wars, one of Marvel’s most anticipated upcoming films. However, every time Deadpool began to share what he’d been told about the film, a cell phone would ring and interrupt him. This continued for a while until Wolervine had had enough and turned and addressed the camera directly. Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman, hurled multiple F-bombs toward the audience, harshly informing them to silence their phones.

Deadpool and Wolverine’s love of F-bombs and other profanities have rubbed off on Marvel and Disney executives, with Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige stating the upcoming film is “f******* awesome.” This spot is expected to play ahead of all screenings of Deadpool and Wolverine once it releases later this summer. Director Shawn Levy also dropped an F-bomb or two.

I love these Easter eggs...

Deadpool & Wolverine Is Finally Allowed To Canonize The 8 Year Old Cameo Deadpool Couldn't

In 2016's Deadpool, Wade Wilson seeks Francis to exact revenge for his cruel experiments. To reach the villain, Deadpool slices through a horde of the villain's henchmen. At one point, Deadpool "teabags" and gets ready to behead one of the henchmen, but stops when he realizes that the man is his old friend Bob. Bob is clearly Deadpool's loyal friend from the comics, Bob Dobalina a.k.a. Hydra Bob. However, the studio wasn't able to use Hydra Bob's full identity, as the live-action adaptation rights to Hydra and all its explicitly related characters belong to Marvel Studios.

Now that Marvel Studios can use any mutant-related character thanks to Disney's acquisition of 20th Century Fox, Hydra Bob can make another cameo in Deadpool & Wolverine and reveal his real backstory. The most practical way to give Hydra Bob his proper Hydra origin is by introducing a new variant through the multiverse. Similar to Deadpool's final battle sequence, Deadpool & Wolverine could see Wade Wilson accidentally come across an MCU version of Bob who actually worked for Hydra, possibly during an action scene in the Void.

Last edited:

tenor.gif

July can not get here fast enough!

IMG_20240422_134716.jpg

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about the first Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox Studios crossover movie that fully merges characters from the X-Men movie series into MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

From the looks of things in the trailers, it seems Deadpool & Wolverine is going to have many cameos from characters from the Fox X-Men universe. One scene in the second trailer shows Cassandra Nova, probably the film’s main villain, emerging in front of several characters in the Void. Her stronghold seems to be the dead body of an Ant-Man variant. Eagle-eyed Marvel fans will notice several mutants from the Fox X-Men films standing about. While we can’t confirm if the original actors return to these roles, we can tell it’s those same characters at least. Here’s who we know is in the Void with Logan and Wade in the Deadpool & Wolverine trailers, and which X-Men films they originated from:

Azazel (X-Men: First Class)

Lady Deathstrike (X2: X-Men United)

Sabretooth (X-Men)

Toad (X-Men)

Pyro (X2: X-Men United, X-Men: The Last Stand)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back