• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton Thread 2015-2016

CU has a better chance to beat Providence than they do to beat Xavier who will be waiting for them for pay back on Xavier's senior night.

St johns is an absolutely horrible basketball team. One of the worst power conference type teams I've ever seen. From what I could tell they have exactly one player capable of being a legit big east baller.

That said the jays went out and mopped up the floor with them. 100-59. Shooting woes from the last several games went by the wayside...hopefully they didn't waste it all on the Johnnies. The two seniors (Groselle and millikin) went out in style with about 20 each.

Not much to say really...SJU is just that bad. Providence and xavier both on the road to close out the season. A win against prov would pretty much wrap up 4th place inthink. Tall order but it can be done...they've struggled the last month or so.

St Johns made the mistake of hiring a former alumni and basketball star with zero coaching experience. Sound familiar?

St Johns made the mistake of hiring a former alumni and basketball star with zero coaching experience. Sound familiar?

Who are you referencing? My brain must be fried...Willis Reed was terrible but he wasn't a CU alum. Can't be referencing Nebraska because that doesn't apply....help me out here!

I've heard more than once that the x and o coaching at St. John's is mostly handled by one of their young assistants and that Mullen, Mitch Richmond and another assistant are there to just fill up the roster with high profile recruits.

That won't work. They may stock the roster and they may have some monster wins here and there but overall it will be a train wreck.

He sat on his hands the whole game the other day until he'd seen enough crap basketball and got himself ejected.

At OU and at Indiana are almost certain losses. Throw in a couple more and I think I'd be very happy with a 9-4 start. I think CU is going to fare better in the big east than the media predicts but I'm not going to predict an upper half finish. I'll call it 6th or 7th. I'll go with a 9-9 record which was good for 6th last year. So 18-13, second round exit in BE Tourney so 19-14 and just on the wrong side of the bubble...NIT.

Lost to xavier.

Pretty much nailed the season guesses. 18-13 and 9-9 for a 6th place finish. Could have been a few games better.

No chance at the dance. Probably NIT but not likely a home game.

Yet ANOTHER tough loss. Ended up losing by 8 to Seaton Hall. CU played poorly for much of the first half but was only down 9. Got out quick in the 2nd and it was a close game for the whole second half..even taking a lead in the last 10 minutes. But, as usual, they couldn't hang on for the win. Cole Huff was out of his mind. Scored 35 I think. He didn't get much help until later when Millikin chipped in with some scoring. Same song, different verse over the last 2 years. Good enough to be in the game with anybody in the league...just can't "find a way to win". Didn't help that Mo Watson has played the last few games with a sore hammy...the guy is night and day when healthy/hobbled. He played poorly last night and it was a big part of the difference. In the Seaton Hall side...Isaiah Whitehead is a baller.

Up next? Hopefully the NIT although they won't get a home game. Apparently the NIT has a rule now that any conference champ that doesn't make the Dance gets and auto-invite. I heard somewhere that something like 10 small conference champs didn't win their tournaments so that eats up 10 spots...some teams that might normally make the NIT this year are not going to make it. McDermott basically said they won't accept a CBI or a CIT invite. There are several guys that are hurt and likely need surgery and he said it wouldn't be worth delaying those surgeries to play in those tournaments. I'd have to concur.

Jays pick up the win last night v. Bama. Not a real exciting game. Bama shot horribly most of the game.

With Zierden out Thomas got to play 33 minutes. Made the most of it. 15 points, 8 boards, 3 steals, 2 assists. That's a stat line that Zierden simply isn't capable of putting up very often. If CU is going to make the next step next year one thing that needs to happen is Zierden must become the 12-15 minute a game role player that he is....not a 35+ minute guy. Mac loves the guy...and he's a good ball player. But everyone has their ceiling. Zierden's skills and past knee injuries limit his ceiling. He may actualy be more effective with less minutes.

Anyway, nice win by 18 points. At St. Bonaventure Saturday unless Wagner can pull out the upset.

Jays pick up the win last night v. Bama. Not a real exciting game. Bama shot horribly most of the game.

With Zierden out Thomas got to play 33 minutes. Made the most of it. 15 points, 8 boards, 3 steals, 2 assists. That's a stat line that Zierden simply isn't capable of putting up very often. If CU is going to make the next step next year one thing that needs to happen is Zierden must become the 12-15 minute a game role player that he is....not a 35+ minute guy. Mac loves the guy...and he's a good ball player. But everyone has their ceiling. Zierden's skills and past knee injuries limit his ceiling. He may actualy be more effective with less minutes.

Anyway, nice win by 18 points. At St. Bonaventure Saturday unless Wagner can pull out the upset.

This, couldn't agree more... In the MVC, Zierden is vying for 2nd team all conference, in the Big East, at 35 minutes a game, he's a defensive liability and on offense doesn't have enough quickness to create his own shots...

I was happy for Thomas, good kid, potentially great player. Alabama sucked, horrible team, but as my son pointed out, only one senior on the roster...

Wagner at home on Sat, Jays should clobber them. Then probably BYU in Provo, hard to beat the mormons in their back yard, but can be done. If CU can get back to the Garden (isn't that lyrics to a song? :) ), I think they can win it all...

Jays thumped Wagner at Home Saturday and then BYU ended their season in Provo last night 88-82.

Final record 20-15. As I mentioned many times before...it could have been several games better...which could have landed an NCAA bid. But you are what your record says you are, right? Having picked CU to finish 6th, 9-9 in the Big East I was probably a little more optimistic that many fans and most pundits. So that they reached those levels is a good thing. Definitely progress. The future is bright. There's some good young talent in the program (Khyri Thomas, Ronnie harrell, Patton), some good experience coming back (Watson, Huff, Hansen), a high level transfer eligible next year (Foster) and some good '16 and '17 recruits on the way. And there is some decent ROLE PLAYER experience coming back. That's what Hegner and Zierden are. If either plays anywhere near 20 min a game next year it's either by necessity (injury) or a mistake on Mac's part. We'll see.

Patton is a wild card...he's not going to be your "Patrick Ewing" type of center. I'm afraid too many CU fans are looking for this guy to come in and be a star from day 1. It's not happening. If he can come in and play some solid defense (block shots, patrol the lane) and grab some rebounds and show he's a basketball player as a frosh I'll be pleased.

Last edited:
I have no skin in the game, but, from a distance, I think McDermott is a good recruiter, but I'm not impressed with his coaching. Last night was tough to watch.

I have no skin in the game, but, from a distance, I think McDermott is a good recruiter, but I'm not impressed with his coaching. Last night was tough to watch.

I can't speak to that particular game. But I think he's a good x and o guy and a good "game plan" guy. But when it comes to crunch time the results the last two years can't be ignored. In close games...creighton loses. That needs to change. Last year it seemed like it was a minor miracle they were in a lot of those games. This year you start to wonder if there is a reason beyond talent that explains an inability to finish games. If mental toughness continues to be an issue next year and beyond the answer will be clear IMO.

Some recruiting news. CU got a transfer point guard from Syracuse. Sits a year and will have2 years to play. Timing is good with Watson being a Sr next year. Kaleb Joseph. Was a 4* coming out of HS and played a lot as a frosh. Shooting numbers weren't all that good. Got benched early this year and never saw the light of day again. Seems he definitely needed a change of scenery.

An interesting prospect is Brian "Tugs" Bowen. A 5* top 25 player that is supposedly down to Kentucky, UCLA, MSU and....creighton. he was in for the xavier game (great luck that he was in for that game...beat a top 5 team and a great atmosphere). Now I am well aware that the changes are somewhere between slim and none here but to be in a "final 4" with those teams says a lot about how well the coaches are doing at generating interest...and how being known for a certain style can lead to recruiting results. Apparently he was asked "creighton?" And his response was "I like how they play". He's from Saginaw, MI so he's likely to end up at MSU..that they even got a 5* type on campus for a game tells you all you need to know about the move to the big east.

Also, mentioned before (a month or so)..the 4* from Kansas specifically mentioned the style as being a big reason why he chose creighton.

#letitfly

Last edited:
Some recruiting news. CU got a transfer point guard from Syracuse. Sits a year and will have2 years to play. Timing is good with Watson being a Sr next year. Kaleb Joseph. Was a 4* coming out of HS and played a lot as a frosh. Shooting numbers weren't all that good. Got benched early this year and never saw the light of day again. Seems he definitely needed a change of scenery.

An interesting prospect is Brian "Tugs" Bowen. A 5* top 25 player that is supposedly down to Kentucky, UCLA, MSU and....creighton. he was in for the xavier game (great luck that he was in for that game...beat a top 5 team and a great atmosphere). Now I am well aware that the changes are somewhere between slim and none here but to be in a "final 4" with those teams says a lot about how well the coaches are doing at generating interest...and how being known for a certain style can lead to recruiting results. Apparently he was asked "creighton?" And his response was "I like how they play". He's from Saginaw, MI so he's likely to end up at MSU..that they even got a 5* type on campus for a game tells you all you need to know about the move to the big east.

Also, mentioned before (a month or so)..the 4* from Kansas specifically mentioned the style as being a big reason why he chose creighton.

#letitfly

Amazing what a conference switch will do. Creighton would get a sniff from these guys in the MVC

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back