• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton Thread '14-15

Good win. Hopefully, this breaks CU out of their shooting slump. They were awful the last few games and the first 10 minutes of this one.

Greg McDermott can coach. it wasn't just doug. CU has played some really good defense in his absence. So far they are giving up something like 10 points a game less then they did at this stage of the season last year. So of the 25 missing points from DM there's 10 of them. Did anyone see greg McDermott coaching Toby Hegner up at the end of the game? Everyone is celebrating and he's getting in there and encouraging a guy who had a pretty bad game. Good stuff.

Yep, McDermott coached a gem tonight. Did a tap dance on Tim's head, and I'm sure Tim would acknowledge it. Credit where credit is due. Jays came to play tonight.

CU eked out a win over south Dakota last night. A double OT "thriller". I kept thinking I felt the way I felt after the mcneese st game...that would have been fun to watch if you weren't rooting for anyone. As it was it was just a relief to get through it. Some CU players admitted to being a little full of themselves after beating nu on the road. They got to learn a valuable lesson without picking up an ugly loss.

Lost against St. Mary's in OT. Turned over too much and gave up too many Offensive rebounds. The up and down continues. 3 overtimes in 2 games. the Nearly 1 week break will help. Need to get the boys inside scoring at least a little....and rebounding.

Maybe there is something in the water in Nebraska? Both teams seem to play Jeckyl and Hyde! I'm surprised to see that they turned the ball over too much. Comparing them to the Huskers, the Jays have great ball control :banghead:

Lost against St. Mary's in OT. Turned over too much and gave up too many Offensive rebounds. The up and down continues. 3 overtimes in 2 games. the Nearly 1 week break will help. Need to get the boys inside scoring at least a little....and rebounding.

Fugly loss to north texas. Terrible team and CU got down to them by 27 before damn near pulling it out. Couldn't throw it in the ocean nor stop turning it over. Awful bit of scheduling by CU. Home game Friday night then a day game in Texas on sunday. No excuse though. CU needs to get their heads right over Christmas break. Now the heavy lifting starts.

Came back from xmas break to lose to providence on the road by 15.

Lack of a "go to" scorer is killing CU. Chatman is about as close as they have in that role but he had a rough night against Prov.

Groselle is impressing the hell out of me. 14 points and was largely responsible for keeping them in the game in the 1st half. This guy's career is a bit of a shame. This is a 7 footer with classic center skills that rival just about any in college basketball. Problem is in a perfect world he's not the most athletic guy in the gym...but his leg problems have cut into his mobility even more. If he stays healthy he can be a very good 18-22 min a night guy. If you get a chance watch him when he gets the ball and has his man posted up...he's gonna score on the guy more often than not. With the way the game is played anymore you just don't see that kind of thing a whole lot anymore. Honestly, I was hoping he would transfer after last season to free up a scholarship. I'm wrong once in a while. :)

The Big East is a beast this year. Solidly the #2 RPI conference this year. Nova is still nova. But Seaton Hall has beaten St. John's (ranked) and Nova in back to back games now and 12-2 should rocket into the polls Monday. Georgetown is back in the rankings and should be there most of the year. I mentioned SJU is ranked. Butler stunk last year but are 10-4 and have been in the rankings some this year. XU and Providence are very solid this year. Marquette is struggling still and DePaul will always suck.

I was optimistic after the OU win but reality has sunk in. CU will be battling for 8th between Marquette and DePaul. I don't see any way of cracking the top 7 unless Butler's resurgence was a mirage. No chance of top 6 at this point IMO. Not unless someone unexpected really takes the bull by the horns. There are some guys sitting out this year and recruited for next year that are going to change the make-up of this team...but for this year it's going to be a nightly struggle to score enough points to win games. I'd take 8-10 in the big east right now...no questions asked....and call it a pretty damn good year considering. I don't think that offer is coming though!

Vote for Greg McDermott in the Infiniti Coaches' charity challenge!

48 college b-ball coaches are competing, and the winners earn donations to their designated charity. Read up on McDermott's charity (Abide) and I think you'll agree it's a good cause run by good people.

You can vote once a day this week, so vote early and often as they say. (note: Tim Miles isn't in the challenge, so there's no conflict of interest in voting McDermott even if you're an NU fan :)).

http://espn.com/infiniti

Last edited:

Ugh. This team is simply a bad team right now. Got beat by DePaul last night. CU has a disturbing history of letting someone on the opposing team go off for a career high. This has been going on for years now.

DePaul's "center" went off with 5 straight 3s in the first couple minutes of the game last night. Boom...career high. Down 20-5 before anyone broke a sweat. That run to start the game was the difference as they lost by 10. McDermott took the blame acknowledging that the starers he had out there weren't capable of hanging with DePaul's...and actually he meant Groselle on Mr. Career High.

CU continues to stink offensively. Shot 35%. 35% from 3. That means 35% from 2 as well...awful. I keep reminding myself...and it's true...that the entire CU line-up was recruited to the valley. It's going to take some time to adjust personnel-wise but it's going to be ugly in the meantime. This team will finish last in the Big East and will have an overall losing record. no post season of any kind.

Schematically I don't have a problem with McDermott. What he's doing with playing time distribution is really getting under my skin right now. Leon Gilmore III IS a guy that was recruited to the Big East. Offers from Baylor, KSU, Okie State, NU, A&M, etc. He is clearly not "ready" but he also didn't redshirt. So, IMO, you give the guy minutes. Period. Especially if your team sucks and the season is a wash. For him to play 2-3 minutes of garbage time in SOME games is completely idiotic. Especially when you turn around and use a walk-on guard who is essentially useless. From here on out Gilmore should get dingman's minutes. Dingman has about 2 minutes every 3 games where he's any good.

Like I said...I think McDermott is fine. He's simply crippled right now with a roster that can't compete in the Big East and that roster really isn't his fault. If they were playing in the valley against who they were recruited to compete they'd probably be #2 behind Wichita. There's help on the way. But he might as well get Leon some real minutes. Can't hurt.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back