• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Creighton accepts Big East offer

It'll be interesting to see how Greg McDermott does with his second chance at coaching in a major conference. I don't think the new Big East will be as tough as the Big 12, but he's going to have to recruit like a major conference coach. On the plus side, if he can't keep up, Creighton will now be looked at as a major conference coaching job, and the potential candidates will reflect that.

I'm certainly interested to see how he works out. The question of his recruiting abilities was brought up in a chat with Pivovar yesterday and he mentioned some pretty good players he got to ISU (maybe the one with mental issues that Houston drafted, another one that ended up at Syracuse and turned out good, etc.). Apparently, among other things, there were major chemistry issues...which a coach does have responsibility for.

Recent recruits:

Toby Hegner (2013): Offers from BC, Iowa State, Marquette, Northwestern...3* rivals.
Zach Hansen (2013): Offers from ASU, Gonzaga, Missou, Nebraska, New Mexico...3* rivals.
Darien Harris (2013): No major conf. offers according to rivals...3*
Yates (2012): NU, Dayton....
Zierden (2012): No major offers according to rivals...3*
Chatman...colo, Wichita...3*
DIngman....3*...TCU and other mid majors
Groselle....3*...Colorado, NW, Iowa, S. Fla
Johnson....3*...no major conf. offers according to Rivals

So he's nabbed some 3* guys...many of which had "BCS" offers. There have been quite a few other guys that the jay message board has followed closely that CU was in really good with that ended up going to bigger conference schools. Point being he's been getting in the door, even being a mid major school...but not able to close the deal....maybe some of those deals get closed now that the conference is going to be considered more of a "major". We'll see obviously.

For what it's worth...at ISU he recruited a 5* and a few 3* in 2006 after he was hired.

5 3* guys in 2007
4 3* guys in 2008
2009 he got a 4* that had offers from Illinois, Kentuck and Marquette among others. Another 4* with a Kentucky offer and a couple other 3*

So it's not like he didn't recruit some players. Things just didn't work out for him there. I recall him saying he learned some lessons at ISU. I have no idea what those were but seems I recall at least a few of those guys didn't last. Might be the same lesson Dana Altman learned about guys like P'Allen Stinnet.

You obviously have to have players with athleticism and talent. But they also have to be the right guys for your own personality and what you want to do.

"Special Announcement" tomorrow at 10 AM at DJ Sokol arena with regard to CU athletics. I wonder what that could be...

Officially official...

http://www.omaha.com/article/201303...ighton-joins-big-east-in-match-made-in-heaven

Never thought I'd see the day. The idea of a "catholic league" had been tossed around over the years but nothing really came of it. In the end the Big East and it's quest for football relevance ended up being the force the ultimately drove the Big East BACK to being basketball centric. This season the Big East had 15 teams...of which 7 play football at the D1A level and the others either don't play at all or play at lower levels. It was a mish-mash. In the scramble for everyone to find a legit home for football...the Big East ends up going back to its roots.

And somehow CU made the cut. Two guys deserve a crap load of credit for making this happen. Dana Altman and Bruce Rassmussen. Rassmussen first for hiring Altman. Rick Johnson had gutted the program after Tony Barone had taken CU to a couple NCAA tourneys. It was a mess. Altman came in and, exaggerating some, performed a miracle. They got better every single year for his first 10 years or so. Then Omaha finally decides to build an arena. Rassmussen had to fight tooth and nail with the people at CU to take the jays to the new arena. Their concerns were legit. How will it work out financially? What's it going to look like if we have 4,000 people in that huge arena? He was shot down a couple times but kept going and finally got them to agree. Obviously, it couldn't have worked out better. If CU hadn't made the move...and if Altman hadn't kept things going (although the last few years were anything but smooth) it could have been a disaster. Instead CU averages 16,000 fans a night...in the MISSOURI VALLEY. (and it's all about beer, right fRed? :rolleyes:) Without that kind of support and without the on-court success that McDermott has maintained and expanded upon...this doesn't happen.

Oh...back to Rassmussen...when Altman left he had one name and one name only in mind. Greg McDermott. How's that for a stroke of luck...well "luck" might not be the word. But luck. What if CU tanks after altman? Are they in the Big East today? You can't discount the Doug McDermott factor. Yeah, these decisions have to be made on more than one season or one guy....but it just so happened that when the Catholic 7 decided to split that Creighton had been getting a lot of national attention (for a mid major) at the same time. Timing is everything, they say.

I'm under no illusions that CU's gonna walk right in and finish at the top. It's going to be a little hairy next year without Gibbs, Echenique and McDermott. There are obviously risks involved. But what's the fun of not taking risks? And is it really a risk? Is there any choice when this conference asks you to join? Let's just say I'm pretty flippin happy to be a season ticket holder right now!

This morning on the Tim Brando show they were discussing CU's move. It was stated that the Bluejays go from four thousand dollars a year to three million dollars a year in the TV deal. Not a bad jump. One of the selling factors to the east coast schools was how close to the airport the arena is. Makes it easy to get in and out. The timing of the announcement was perfect as CU had a good year, McDermott being an All-American, and hopefully a nice tourney run. They discussed how CU fills the arena to play Valley schools. Imagine how ticket sales will be for Georgetown coming to town.

This morning on the Tim Brando show they were discussing CU's move. It was stated that the Bluejays go from four thousand dollars a year to three million dollars a year in the TV deal. Not a bad jump. One of the selling factors to the east coast schools was how close to the airport the arena is. Makes it easy to get in and out. The timing of the announcement was perfect as CU had a good year, McDermott being an All-American, and hopefully a nice tourney run. They discussed how CU fills the arena to play Valley schools. Imagine how ticket sales will be for Georgetown coming to town.

4 HUNDRED thousand maybe. The MVC's tv deal wasn't much but better than 4,000. :)

I read where rassmussen said tickets wouldn't go up as a result...only the normal "cost of living" adjustments they make occasionally. Personally I wouldn't be offended if they gave prices a little bump.

Great move by Creighton on the move to the Big East, Lots more money and great competition. The big East will be one of the top 5 conferences with the moves and if they add VCU and St. Louis next year look out. NU will have to step up their recruiting.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back