• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Colorado....being Colorado

So I'm in the drive through at Sonic. Getting a #4 combo mind you. I flip on the radio and the Denver station has the CU spring game. I'm only listening for 1-2 minutes - but of course I have to capture their discussion of Nebraska. How they have no new rival in the PAC 12. Mostly because they can't beat anyone. And announcer says "But no matter what path or vector Scott Frost's career takes, his first game will always be a home loss to CU". Girlish chuckles follow.

Next fall's game needs to be more than a beat down. It needs to be Globetrotters/Washington Generals-ish. I want the crowd back out in the parking lot at halftime sitting in the mystery machine smoking away the pain and putting CBD oil on their 5th point of contact. That is all.

I lived in Denver from about 1974 through 1980. I attended a lot of NU-CU games in my life. Their fans do not have a clue as to how a class program is run. They threw snowballs at Bob Devaney. Their entire student section was kicked out of the stadium (I can't remember what year). They don't know why we are so loyal to our Huskers so they turn to making fun of it. Unfortunately, no amount of beat down will ever shut them up. I remember when I was young (grade school years) an older kid was throwing a younger kid up against the wall at school repeatedly for mouthing off to him. When I heard the younger kid say "Hey who are you fighting? Me or the Wall?" I learned then some people just aren't ever going to shut up.

I love everything about Colorado except the few fair weather CU fans I've met and cost of living :). I lived there for 3 years in the early 2000's and will move back there someday because I absolutely love the state, the outdoor opportunities, their political atmosphere, mj laws, ad nauseam. I will rep Nebraska when I'm there again. As much as I like Omaha, we are just so far behind here and will never approach catching up. I was in Denver last weekend for a concert and had a blast. Took trains and ride sharing the entire time, so seamless. Next trip is for the game this fall. Tickets or not, I'll be representing wherever I go.
I've been here 11 years. Colorado is amazing.

Blame Bill McCartney
And I do.

You have to wonder about the stability of a grown man who'd make an assistant sell his car because it was red.

McCartney was a Michigan assistant before getting the HC job at Colorado. He was well-aware of the nature of the Michigan-Ohio St. relationship: a hatefest, a grudge match, full of bad blood. He then intentionally set out to recreate that some atmosphere for CU-NU, to import all of the ugliness -- and succeeded resoundingly. NU fans thought they knew how a football rivalry was supposed to look and smell based on their experience with Oklahoma. But Colorado apparently had the idea that a rivalry should go beyond just football, to include vandalized cars, thrown objects during the game, in-stadium abuse of visiting fans, cutting attacks in the Denver-area media on Nebraska itself and Nebraskans themselves -- just insufferable behavior in general.

But if you ever talk a McCartney-worshipping CU fan, they'll say he targeted NU as a rival out of "respect" for its program. Because nothing says respect like calling another conference school "the mortal enemy." Over football. (Expecting rationality from a McCartney admirer is like expecting criticism of Justin Bieber from a 12-year-old girl.)

McCartney was once quoted as saying of Nebraska fans: "I don't think they like us. I don't think they like me, either. A lot of Nebraska people were affected by (Denver-area) talk shows when they drove in here last year. They listened to a lot of abuse and were the brunt of jokes. I think people blame me for a lot of that."

All true, coach, all true.

Last edited:
And I do.

You have to wonder about the stability of a grown man who'd make an assistant sell his car because it was red.

McCartney was a Michigan assistant before getting the HC job at Colorado. He was well-aware of the nature of the Michigan-Ohio St. relationship: a hatefest, a grudge match, full of bad blood. He then intentionally set out to recreate that some atmosphere for CU-NU, to import all of the ugliness -- and succeeded resoundingly. NU fans thought they knew how a football rivalry was supposed to look and smell based on their experience with Oklahoma. But Colorado apparently had the idea that a rivalry should go beyond just football, to include vandalized cars, thrown objects during the game, in-stadium abuse of visiting fans, cutting attacks in the Denver-area media on Nebraska itself and Nebraskans themselves -- just insufferable behavior in general.

But if you ever talk a McCartney-worshipping CU fan, they'll say he targeted NU as a rival out of "respect" for its program. Because nothing says respect like calling another conference school "the mortal enemy." Over football. (Expecting rationality from a McCartney admirer is like expecting criticism of Justin Bieber from a 12-year-old girl.)

McCartney was once quoted as saying of Nebraska fans: "I don't think they like us. I don't think they like me, either. A lot of Nebraska people were affected by (Denver-area) talk shows when they drove in here last year. They listened to a lot of abuse and were the brunt of jokes. I think people blame me for a lot of that."

All true, coach, all true.
Yeah and he professed to be a Christian man. I have zero respect for him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back