• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coachspeak

I want a coach who will get his guys to win. He can do that with his guys running through the wall, around the wall, over the wall, under the wall...I don't care. Just win. There is going to be a lot of pressure on Rhule to win at least 6 games and get to a bowl. If he doesn't do that this year, Rhule will be feeling the heat.

I also don't care about whether a coach uses coachspeak or not. Nick Saban often came off as being an ass during his press conferences, but the Alabama people didn't care because Saban's teams won football games. If Rhule can start winning and getting us to bowl games, I won't care how he looks or speaks in public.
Don't miss whats been said.
We don't work the athleticism out of our guys.
We find the best fits for our guys.
We try and put our guys into positions to win.

I don't care about past coaches, and won't reflect that approach onto this staff.

IMO Coach Riely was extremely likable but didn’t win nearly enough. Coach Rhule is also extremely likable but I sure hope his teams will have a lot of success on the field. I do not believe NICE GUYS have to finish last and hope I’m correct!
How are they nice is the real question.
I once worked for a Warrant Officer that everyone who did not work for him believed was an A... well you get the picture. The Marines that worked for him loved him. We were a tight unit and because of him we commanded respect. That was the Pelini way.

Riley was nice but his niceness people took advantage of. He was perceived both inside and outside of the program as soft.

Then there was the Devaney style. Players liked him because he was like a good Dad. Mean when he needed to be nice when he could be. But you had to earn nice. The reporters also liked him. Good for a press conference. Good to have a beer with. Like the fun uncle who steps in to raise you when Dad is not in the picture. This is where I believe Rhule is.

How are they nice is the real question.
I once worked for a Warrant Officer that everyone who did not work for him believed was an A... well you get the picture. The Marines that worked for him loved him. We were a tight unit and because of him we commanded respect. That was the Pelini way.

Riley was nice but his niceness people took advantage of. He was perceived both inside and outside of the program as soft.

Then there was the Devaney style. Players liked him because he was like a good Dad. Mean when he needed to be nice when he could be. But you had to earn nice. The reporters also liked him. Good for a press conference. Good to have a beer with. Like the fun uncle who steps in to raise you when Dad is not in the picture. This is where I believe Rhule is.
Perhaps I shouldn’t have used the word NICE to describe both MR's and used LIKEABLE! Riley and Rhule are coaches imo were/are very likeable well spoken coaches. Both always speak and act like gentleman and are excellent representives of the University of Nebraska. Bo on the other hand could be instantly dislikeable and annoying because of his angry foul mouthed deportment. His on the field rants certainly didn’t help him with officials and fans. He treated almost everyone like they were an enemy. I also do not believe he was fired because he was winning 9-10 games every season. I simply prefer a coach that’s calm, cool and collected but they still need to produce good winning seasons. Not sure the coaching styles of 50 years ago would play well today with many of these kids.

You want a guy who will get guys to run through a wall for them? Hire MR.

Rhule's 'Fire' is so different from what I grew up with. My 'firey' coach directed his fire at us, his players. It wasn't the team building, 'We're going to do this' type of attitude and fire Rhule has. I didn't make many of us want to do anything for him. When he was let go, his replacement was much more measured, yet still direct. Wanted you to know where you stood and what was expected of you. He we would run through walls for. He didn't just act like he cared about his players, he actually did.

Rhule's 'Fire' is so different from what I grew up with. My 'firey' coach directed his fire at us, his players. It wasn't the team building, 'We're going to do this' type of attitude and fire Rhule has. I didn't make many of us want to do anything for him. When he was let go, his replacement was much more measured, yet still direct. Wanted you to know where you stood and what was expected of you. He we would run through walls for. He didn't just act like he cared about his players, he actually did.
He likely showed you how to run through walls like MR is doing.
Imo, leadership is a set of values, but there's certain ways its given.

You hear the players talk of the coaches working their butts off. This tells me they're leading by example. A shared team all working hard together.
You hear older or even newer players leading, again, a shared experience thats commitible to, has high value, brings respect, tangible.
Responsibility to the commitment, both coaches and players.

And finally, you hear players talking about consistency. You want to achieve a goal? Bring consistency. You see improvement? It brings buy in, it brings self assurance. You want an even higher result? You've already seen you're doing things you never thought you could, is there more to learn? Learn it, bring that consistency.

IMO Coach Riely was extremely likable but didn’t win nearly enough. Coach Rhule is also extremely likable but I sure hope his teams will have a lot of success on the field. I do not believe NICE GUYS have to finish last and hope I’m correct!
Rhule isn't a nice guy while coaching I can promise that

In MR we have a grinder. Not of players, with other grinders. Is that easy? No. Does MR know how to get to the top? Yes.
I see no separations in dedications or expectations between the staff and the players.

I always appreciated a Leader who was direct and clear in expectations. Know what the standard is. From all appearances Rhule will let you know if things are substandard.

He appears to be an interesting combination of articulate, smart, selfless, passionate, driven, and it is evident he cares about his troops and what they have going on.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back