• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked "Coach"

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some of the press interactions with HCMR at Oregon St, the press call him "Mike" too, and not "Coach". I think its probably his preference that he be addressed that way since its been done in previous Press Conferences, etc...

I think Prep Coach is old skool, and that is fine. I too coach HS football (as an assistant--it looks to me that PC is a head coach) but have a different feeling about it. The only time I believe it is a must is player to coach. Anytime else I see no disrespect, but again that is just my opinion. Some school admin call me by name and others "coach". Same with parents. I never actually thought about it until this thread so in my world NBD.

"Coach"

As someone who still refers to his coaches by the title I have a hard time thinking this is a remotely sizable issue. Coach is an affectionate title for me that is earned after a relationship is established. Until then, it is either "sir" or "Mr".

But someone I work with? First name is AOK.

I've heard that players referred to our previous coach by his first name. To me, this seemed inappropriate due to the level of separation needed between leaders and followers. There's a certain weight carried by the title, but it's interesting to see how individuals use titles to construct power hierarchies within an organization.

That's why i have asked you all to call me tPops... yet I still get called all these other names.

When I was in the military I got beat down for not calling my Drill sergeant "Drill sergeant" only Sergent. Like I always told them. You invited me to the service. You calling me all the these other names only shows disrespect for me...and, you want respect?

I know at the golf resort that I worked at, the members who were doctors all insisted that they be addressed as such.

The following pic represents a title more befitting.

donkey.jpg

Redo, I would prefer that you call me "Doctor" A** Hole. Thanks.

Last edited:
I think Prep Coach is old skool, and that is fine. I too coach HS football (as an assistant--it looks to me that PC is a head coach) but have a different feeling about it. The only time I believe it is a must is player to coach. Anytime else I see no disrespect, but again that is just my opinion. Some school admin call me by name and others "coach". Same with parents. I never actually thought about it until this thread so in my world NBD.

Like I said, many may disagree with me on this issue.

I will say that I have NEVER been described as "old skool", not that there's anything wrong with that. It's true that I am a head coach and have been for many years. I don't think that makes me particularly special or intelligent (sit with the parents and you will find I am definitely neither), but I just believe that on this issue it is pretty clear. In a professional environment, address people by their appropriate title. I am on a first-name basis with my principal and athletic director, but in mixed company, they are always "Mr." I call my assistant coaches by their first names (sometimes) but never in front of parents, players, etc.

To me, again, it isn't old skool. It isn't like we play "bull in the ring" at practice, do monkey rolls, and withhold water from our players because it makes them tougher. Now THAT is old skool...and dumb.

Last edited:

BTW...Every coach of every sport is called "Coach" exclusively at my school. That includes by secretaries, administrators, non-athletes, custodians, parents, etc. I can't say it has been that way every place I have been, but I guess it's just the culture of the area I am working. It actually was really surprising to hear students who I don't even know address me as coach. That has nothing to do with why I feel Coach Riley should be addressed by the media as coach but just something I thought I would share.

I'm pretty sure the "paparazzi" always used Bo's name at the old pressers, but now they don't wince when the coach answers. ;)

I'm with you with respect to proper introductions, I had mentioned how refreshing it was during the NCAA championship game when Riley was providing color and commentary, the other coaches referred to him as "Coach".... didn't do that for anyone else.

I'm actually kind of with you on this. Coach Riley may have told the press that calling him 'just Mike' was fine, but as a courtesy, I have always liked to hear people call those in that position 'coach'. Even the assistants, if that was a question as well. We always called our teachers Mr., Mrs., Ms., or Professor, or whatever they wanted professionally, and I've always put coaches in that same classification.

I agree its a sign of respect. I go by Rich or Ruddman but I have been a youth and childrens leader for years and the kids/youth have always called me Mr. Rich. Even as adults they still do. My best friends moms and dads that I have grown up with are still Mr and Mrs. Coach is a sign of respect for his position and for the authority he has.

So is Tom Osborne "Coach Osborne" or "Dr. Osborne" or "Congressman Osborne" or "Tom"?

So is Tom Osborne "Coach Osborne" or "Dr. Osborne" or "Congressman Osborne" or "Tom"?

After he first became the head coach, I remember that some local tv guy was interviewing TO and called him "The Wizard of Oz." TO was visibly annoyed by that. :)

If Trevor Roach becomes a grad assistant, perhaps someday he will be Coach Roach or better yet, Roach Coach

:p

Last edited:

I call my kids coaches 'Coach'. If I was asking Coach Riley a question, I'd address him as coach.

Until they ask me to call them by their first name, they deserve the respect of being called by their title.
That said, it's likely that Coach Riley asked the media members to call him "Mike".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back