• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked "Coach"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prep Coach

Recruit
20 Year Member
At the risk of sounding nitpicky and caring about things that others would say don't matter...

IN MY OPINION...If you are at a Husker football press conference or interviewing the head football coach at the University of Nebraska, it's "Coach" or "Coach Riley". It's not "Mike".

I am sure I am in the minority, and I have no idea why I felt compelled to post this, but it really does irritate me.

Some people get wrapped up in their titles, I prefer the name my folks gave me.

It bugs the crap out of me when I go onto the base and the cop that checks my ID refers to me by my rank...just say have a nice day. But I'm sure that there are probably folks that are retired like me who probably just go on base so that they can be referred to by their former rank. They need that stroking.

I get what you're saying, but to me, it has more to do with respect for the position. I know some will call it nitpicky, but it seems presumptuous for the media to be on a first-name basis with a guy most have never met. I don't think it has to do with the ego of Coach Riley as much as it does addressing people appropriately. Coaches should be addressed as such, in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the "paparazzi" always used Bo's name at the old pressers, but now they don't wince when the coach answers. ;)

I'm with you with respect to proper introductions, I had mentioned how refreshing it was during the NCAA championship game when Riley was providing color and commentary, the other coaches referred to him as "Coach".... didn't do that for anyone else.

It may very well be that Riley has asked media members to call him Mike. He seems very down to earth, and the encouraging of the media to call him by his first name would suggest an attempt to build a strong bond.

It may very well be that Riley has asked media members to call him Mike. He seems very down to earth, and the encouraging of the media to call him by his first name would suggest an attempt to build a strong bond.

Agree about Riley.

Also, I vividly remember Shatel, Christopherson, Barfknecht, Sipple, etc., calling our former coach just "Bo" in pressers. I don't think it's a big dael.

Many people refer to the POTUS by his last name these past couple of decades or so...that irks me as well.

Coach Riley earned the title, but if he prefers "Mike" then good on him for being humble.

Many people refer to the POTUS by his last name these past couple of decades or so...that irks me as well.

Coach Riley earned the title, but if he prefers "Mike" then good on him for being humble.

i didn't expect many to have a problem with it, but I think it lacks professionalism on the part of the media. I know he was referred to as Mike by some in his introductory presser. Maybe titles don't always matter, but in this case they should. I'm not trying to go "A Few Good Men" on anybody; the title is not a sign of reverence but a sign of respect.

i didn't expect many to have a problem with it, but I think it lacks professionalism on the part of the media. I know he was referred to as Mike by some in his introductory presser. Maybe titles don't always matter, but in this case they should. I'm not trying to go "A Few Good Men" on anybody; the title is not a sign of reverence but a sign of respect.

It's probably just a sign of the times.

For example, years ago, most referred to me as "Mr. Meteorologist." Nowadays, I generally hear, "Yo, dude."

If someone has a specific title (coach, rank, etc) I generally use it. Easier to remember then a bunch of names. When I was a state police officer I preferred being called officer by the general public and lieutenant by people in my command. I honestly do not think the media is being disrespectful using Mike but I also prefer "Coach" but to each their own. I haven't noticed media types calling Spurrier (Steve) or Saben (Nick) in pressors? Perhaps they do just haven't seen it...... Coach Riley doesn't strike me as the type that cares one way or the other!

Yep. The media can be a very powerful ally or enemy depending on your approach. Riley is so genuine that he doesn't even have to play that game; it's obvious the media loves him already.

Last edited:

I agree.

In general, it's best to demonstrate professional courtesy by referring to someone by their "professional title" when addressing them in a public/professional setting. I do this with physicians and other professionals even though we are long time friends and are on a first name basis (in private and/or social settings).

Now, if after I use their "professional title", they ask me to refer to them using their first name (in that professional setting), I'll then go ahead and do that, but only after they have requested that.

I believe that doing this is simply a courteous demonstration of professional respect.

I know at the golf resort that I worked at, the members who were doctors all insisted that they be addressed as such.

The following pic represents a title more befitting.

donkey.jpg

I'm guessing based on what we have seen from HCMR that he asked them to call him Mike. If not, then I agree it would be disrespectful.

Should Bankers also be referred to as Banker Smith or Banker Johnson? What about accountants? What about the guy making your sandwich at subway? How are you today Sandwich Artist Smith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back