• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Verduzco!!!

Not all coaches start in the 'big time'. Where did Chip Kelly get found? Ryan Day? Joe Moorhead? The list goes on. Bright offensive minds are found at varying levels. Look where Gus Malzahn came from. Far from saying Coach V will become what any of those coaches have become but just because he coached in the lower levels shouldn't dismiss his knowledge.
Two of the greatest o-line coaches ever, Tenopir an Young were Nebraska high school coaches

Frazier led by example. I remember the Colorado game where Tommie dislocated his shoulder and they popped it back in on sidelines. He screamed in pain and I believe he was back in game in a series or two. You just don't see that in this day and age anymore!

There is a reason he is widely considered the greatest college qb ever to play. I think he was. Great post!

I have no doubts that Verduzco is qualified and a good coach. But I feel we would be better served with a second offensive line coach or a fulltime special teams coach.
I do not agree with your first statement. I have not seen any evidence of his abilities while at NU. I am not busting your chops, perhaps you could give me a couple of examples. Thank you.

Mario is fun and extremely interesting to talk with.
I'm lucky enough to say my wife is fun and interesting to talk to.
Doesn't mean she's cut out to coach the Qubes.

:mr:
<insert sarcasm emoji here after a smiling Mike>

I will say though, he and I had a very long DM exchange when he was first hired and he was kind, affable, and willing to hear a fan's perspective. I respected that about him.

Last edited:
I would again state that Frost holds a far more informed opinion of his coaches than the entire collective braintrust on these threads. However, the questions posed here are fair. Coaches are most likely to hire those they know will see the job of coaching as they do. As to why Verduzco worked long in "lesser" posts, allow the possibility that his strength is that of teacher vs orchestrator. He may not ever have had a desire to run things, rather, he the tool maker rather than user.
But more, i would welcome why you think Frost would retain Verdu's services if he found fault with them? Frost has demonstrated his willingness to move away from those not fitting the bill.
Coaching "success" is more than any one variable, and includes timing and fortune. That a coach is able to maintain a job at any institution, particularly in more recent decades, for 14 yrs as you note Verdu did at N Iowa, tells me all i need know.
No doubt, those working at the institutions you named will be surprised to hear themselves laboring in "oblivion".

I don't know who you are, but I can't properly express how much I appreciate reading posts like this. Thank you!

A different way to look at things are, the coach at KSU Klieman has been one of our stronger competitors when it comes to recruiting.
OK, he coached at North Dakota ,not No Iowa, but he knows what hes doing, like maybe giving us his game plan against Okie, but he knows what players to get as well.
Verdu fits

Actually, Klieman coached at UNI before going to NDSU, and he was at UNI when Verduzco (and Frost) were there. Those were tight-knit staffs, so I'd be shocked if they don't help each other out. UNI had a good thing going there for quite awhile.

Anyone who doubts Verduzco is being asked to provide evidence to support their doubt. What have you seen in his time at NU that leads you to believe he's a good coach? I'm genuinely curious. Posts saying, "well Frost believes in him" don't move the needle considering how crappy the offense has been. What evidence of progress is there? How's QB recruiting going?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back