• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Cincinnati

Didn't Husker Nation grow intolerant of Fired up HC's? ;)
When you’re losing fans want you to do something other than what you’re doing. We search for solutions in the mundane. We manufacture ‘reasons’ for failure. If we were winning fans would praise the calm demeanor of the head coach and draw comparisons to TO’s character. It’s just fans being fans.

As for the Bearcats, that was a brutal ending. I don’t love the play call on their last drive, but I like the killer instinct. They wanted to end it right there. And the play was the. Ridder underthrew the receiver and allowed the defensive back to come off his man and break up the play. Otherwise it was game over. When you make aggressive calls like that they have to work or you’ll be vilified as a coach. But congratulations to them on an incredible season and two year stretch. Impressive stuff. LF will probably be coaching a major program in a year or two.

When you’re losing fans want you to do something other than what you’re doing. We search for solutions in the mundane. We manufacture ‘reasons’ for failure. If we were winning fans would praise the calm demeanor of the head coach and draw comparisons to TO’s character. It’s just fans being fans.

As for the Bearcats, that was a brutal ending. I don’t love the play call on their last drive, but I like the killer instinct. They wanted to end it right there. And the play was the. Ridder underthrew the receiver and allowed the defensive back to come off his man and break up the play. Otherwise it was game over. When you make aggressive calls like that they have to work or you’ll be vilified as a coach. But congratulations to them on an incredible season and two year stretch. Impressive stuff. LF will probably be coaching a major program in a year or two.
I just thought going for the kill shot when Cincy was ahead but was reeling didn't make sense. 3rd and 2 with a lead and almost no time left, GA with NO time outs screams run it. Even if they ran it on 4th I wouldn't have been nearly as upset as what I watched. 2 downs to make 2 yds and win the game? How was that punt any better with almost a minute and half left on the clock and team with a long distance FG kicker? Fickle blew it and is going to get roasted in Cincy for clock management if nothing else. It's a shame and a lousy way to close out a very good UNDEFEATED season! Oh well it's nice to see other coaches screw up a game they should have won.

Last edited:
I just thought going for the kill shot when Cincy was ahead but was reeling didn't make sense. 3rd and 2 with a lead and almost no time left, GA with NO time outs screams run it. Even if they ran it on 4th I wouldn't have been nearly as upset as what I watched. 2 downs to make 2 yds and win the game? How was that punt any better with almost a minute and half left on the clock and team with a long distance FG kicker? Fickle blew it and is going to get roasted in Cincy for clock management if nothing else. It's a shame and a lousy way to close out a very good UNDEFEATED season! Oh well it's nice to see other coaches screw up a game they should have won.
Yep. I’m not arguing against any of that. If you run the ball you give GA very little time, and your D had played well. Just pointing out that the play was wide open and the QB missed the receiver.

I don’t mind being aggressive though, trying to finish the game on offense. They went for the kill. I suspect the call was designed to have the QB have the option to throw it if it’s open, and if not try to get the first with his feet. At the very least, even if the QB doesn’t scramble for the first down the clock continues to run. It’s the play I would have called. It was all right there for the taking. But they failed to execute. Bummer for them. But still a great season and a great performance today.

Watching the Peach Bowl - kinda glad we didn't play them. But I'm envious of how fired up they are - not just the guys on the field but the sidelines and the coaches. I've mentioned before that the Huskers just seemed flat so many times, no "team excitement". I know Frost isn't the rah-rah type (and yes, I know Osborne wasn't either) but I still say that a team can draw energy from it's head coach/coaching staff.
I just wish the team would have voted for a bowl game .Don’t care if we didn’t get a game,just wish we showed the want to play.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.

I just wish the team would have voted for a bowl game .Don’t care if we didn’t get a game,just wish we showed the want to play.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.
Exactly. You hate to see the team opt to quit. I hate the decision. That said, it should be pointed out that this team never quit in a game all season. They fought to the end every time. It’s partly why I was surprised at the decision to quit at the end of the season.

I believe there are many who wanted to play and they let the weaker willed players overly influence the rest of the team. I hope it doesn’t cause issues going into next season.

Exactly. You hate to see the team opt to quit. I hate the decision. That said, it should be pointed out that this team never quit in a game all season. They fought to the end every time. It’s partly why I was surprised at the decision to quit at the end of the season.

I believe there are many who wanted to play and they let the weaker willed players overly influence the rest of the team. I hope it doesn’t cause issues going into next season.
They didn’t quit in any games. I totally agree.

IMO, what really cost Cincinnati the game was when starting LT James Hudson III (#55) was ejected from the game late in the 1st half for targeting. Absolutely a horrible (and avoidable) play by Hudson, since it was a late hit. Having an inexperienced player at the most important position on the OL really hurt the Bearcats. Hudson's replacement was flagged for at least 3 false starts on 3rd and short -- all of which ended up drive killers. Aside for a quick 2 play drive on the opening series, Cincinnati's offense did absolutely nothing the 2nd half.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back