• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Changes made by SF vs. last 3 staff's

one more, knock on wood, but no extracurricular trouble thus far. focus on the job at hand (maybe).

I would be interested how many small and some big changes there are between SF and the last 3 coaching staff's. Mainly focused on SF and MR and here is my top 10 not in any order of priority

1-The walk on program now a priority
2- S&C program now back to getting players in proper shape and condition.
3- Offensive Lineman focusing on first step forward instead of backwards along with a whole new sense of purpose.
4- All players getting reps in every practice.
5- A team being taught not to worry about making a mistake just do it going all out and make corrections as instructed.
6- A coaching staff all on the same page.
7- A desire to find speed and use it correctly
8- Former players seem all in.
9- Attitude of entire team with a sense of purpose.
10- we already have a running back recruit and it isn't late Jan.

Add or disagree as needed.
The only difference that counts is simple, Riley brought coaches who were used to losing to Lincoln, Frostee brought coaches who know how to win...its simple and doesnt require 10 bullets.

The only difference that counts is simple, Riley brought coaches who were used to losing to Lincoln, Frostee brought coaches who know how to win...its simple and doesnt require 10 bullets.

I think this was a point that was often overlooked.

Tackling! You probably include that in #5, but it, if I understand it right, will be the most important change. Be aggressive, drive through the ball carrier, plant him into the dirt, gang tackle. I am not an expert, but I think even I figured that what they were doing last year was not working.

btw - awesome topic, I'd like to see your list honed with all the updates you will receive from this thread

Last edited:
I would say that SF has done a few things that are tangible.

His reliance on a S&C program that knows what players should look like and tailors the workouts to the position. Also, the return of the use of back squats vs reliance on front squats. This builds testosterone.

His emphasis on reps to and speed to get players into the feel and reacting instead of overthinking.

His move to a game that utilizes the greatest asset in college football..... a mobile QB.

His asking his defense to attack instead of bend but don't break.

His requiring his DBs to pressure the WR and his line/LB to attack to limit the time the DBs are trying to cover.

His focus on blocking with the butt parallel to the head instead of below the head. This lets you push instead of being on your heels.

His move from RBs that are pure runners vs to backs that are smaller but better in the passing game.

His not requiring a full time ST coach that needs 2 or 3 ST recruits per year to do a job that has a single devoted coach.

I would be interested how many small and some big changes there are between SF and the last 3 coaching staff's. Mainly focused on SF and MR and here is my top 10 not in any order of priority

3- Offensive Lineman focusing on first step forward instead of backwards along with a whole new sense of purpose.
5- A team being taught not to worry about making a mistake just do it going all out and make corrections as instructed.

I think you left off two of the most important.

0.1 Have fun!
0.2 Tempo

I think this deserves to be called out too:

An emphasis/priority placed on physicality and determination... developing (reviving) the culture where Nebraska will be the most physical and hardest working team on the field come game day.

Last edited:
Mike Riley should have never been brought here. That was a disservice to him and Nebraska. Just wasn't a good fit or the right timing. It was destined to fail. Nebraska is unique and Frost knows it. Much better fit, and the results should reflect that in the next 3 years or so.

Mike Riley should have never been brought here. That was a disservice to him and Nebraska. Just wasn't a good fit or the right timing. It was destined to fail.
Without resurrecting a 20 page thread on this subject ... I do think MR was brought in large part because he was the anti-Pelini. The exact opposite.

Without resurrecting a 20 page thread on this subject ... I do think MR was brought in large part because he was the anti-Pelini. The exact opposite.
No doubt. And some people actually thought that was a pretty good criterion for hiring a Husker coach. I'm still smh.

100% correct. Mike “anti-Bo” Riley made Mr. Eichorst feel better. Until the firing, anyway. The rest is history, complete with monthly checks sent to Youngstown and Corvallis.

Hmmm, let me see; EVERYTHING!!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back