• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Changes Coming to the Early Signing Period?

SWVAHusker

Starter
20 Year Member
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby says that the NCAA's football oversight committee has had "preliminary discussions" about changing the early signing period. The American Football Coaches Association has also talked about changes to the early signing period. They're not happy about the rush to fire/hire that we've seen this season. According to Bowlsby, the signing date could be pushed back to after January 1, or the early signing period could be eliminated altogether.

I've always thought the early signing period should have been the last week of August.

Not sure either HS coaches or college coaches would like that scenario. If the deadline's at the end of August, a kid who signs is likely going to "opt out" of his senior season to avoid injury. If he plays and gets injured, the college may end up with a kid that they may not have pursued after injury.

EDIT: Sankey (who has opposed the early signing period all along) made another good point about moving the date to the summer. If a coach gets fired in November or December, you'd have kids who already signed pushing to get out of their LOI.

Last edited:
I think you can set an early signing period in the summer with a clause to get out in certain conditions, primarily one of the following coaches are let go: primary recruiter, position coach, coordinator, or head coach. This means you can sign early if you are sure, but have an out if the reason you were sure changes.

That said, the way the early signing period took over signing day altogether makes me a little worried that earlier will be worse for football. It's also possible that an earlier signing period in August would make it only for those who are 100% positive as schools probably don't want to push those signatures either (injuries or other late bloomers at the position could cause them to have someone higher on their board).

I always wanted August. If a kid is sure he commits and doesnt have the distraction during his season. Also this way the staff doesnt have to keep rerecruiting a kid all season. I believe a lot fewer kids will utilize this signing period which is also a plus.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby says that the NCAA's football oversight committee has had "preliminary discussions" about changing the early signing period. The American Football Coaches Association has also talked about changes to the early signing period. They're not happy about the rush to fire/hire that we've seen this season. According to Bowlsby, the signing date could be pushed back to after January 1, or the early signing period could be eliminated altogether.

I like Bo’s recruiting idea if you offer and they sign ( when offer is made) you’re in. It would eliminate the massive amount of offers made by some coaches and allow the student to end the countless visits. When they sign they’re done.

I dont know why they didnt make it August to begin with. The worst thing is trying to hang onto recruits all fall, re-recruiting them. Kids get deluged the entire fall with offers, visits, other staffs contacting, when many prefer to just go about their senior season of HS. This would take the pressure off of staffs to keep having to fend off new suitors and allow better focus on the season if half or more of your class were signed. Kids that didnt sign early or blew up late, could still sign in Feb or whenever. This would certainly help stop the firing of coaches earlier in the cycle.

If you sign in August and change your mind do you enter the transfer portal? If your recruiter/coach/coordinator leaves, if your dad gets sick and you want to stay closer to home, do you get to sign with another school? If you play senior year and get hurt or suck can you lose your scholarship? Won’t we have a bunch of both players and schools who will want out of the commitment, and won’t the NCAA have to make a ton of judgments?

Coaches will present a plan for recruiting changes at the NCAA convention that follows the AFCA convention in January. Unlike the earlier article I posted, the AFCA says that the firing/hiring bonanza that's gone on this year isn't the reason they want changes, it's the portal.

As more players enter the portal (280 as of last week) that's created a problem where coaches sometimes don't even know who's still on their team by December 15. Some coaches have complained that they had to cancel recruiting visits after their season ended so "they could recruit their own team."

Of the ideas being considered, I like the idea of implementing a dead period right after the regular season ends. Either that, or only opening the portal for a specific amount of time. Players could publicly announce their decision to transfer any time they wanted, but would only be able to officially enter the portal and be recruited by other schools for a set amount of time.

Coaches will present a plan for recruiting changes at the NCAA convention that follows the AFCA convention in January. Unlike the earlier article I posted, the AFCA says that the firing/hiring bonanza that's gone on this year isn't the reason they want changes, it's the portal.

As more players enter the portal (280 as of last week) that's created a problem where coaches sometimes don't even know who's still on their team by December 15. Some coaches have complained that they had to cancel recruiting visits after their season ended so "they could recruit their own team."

Of the ideas being considered, I like the idea of implementing a dead period right after the regular season ends. Either that, or only opening the portal for a specific amount of time. Players could publicly announce their decision to transfer any time they wanted, but would only be able to officially enter the portal and be recruited by other schools for a set amount of time.

The NCAA has made a mess of this with all the "easy transfer" rules and the early signing day that basically forces teams to make quick firing and hiring decisions within two weeks of the season's end. It may be hard to get the genie back in the bottle.

This makes the most sense. Go back to NSD in Feb. Bowl season is going to be horrible. Really those games are now glorified exhibition games.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back